January 12th, 2009

Beyonce, Jamie Foxx among stars to appear at inaugural kickoff

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/12/art.beyonce.gi.jpg caption="Beyonce will be among the stars to appear at the inaugural kickoff event."](CNN) - The opening celebration of the presidential inauguration will feature a massive line-up of musical all-stars performing a free show in the shadow of the Lincoln Memorial, the Presidential Inaugural Committee said Monday.

The event will feature performances by: "Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Bono, Garth Brooks, Sheryl Crow, Renee Fleming, Josh Groban, Herbie Hancock, Heather Headley, John Legend, Jennifer Nettles, John Mellencamp, Usher Raymond IV, Shakira, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, will.i.am, and Stevie Wonder," said the committee. "Among those reading historical passages will be Jamie Foxx, Martin Luther King III, Queen Latifah and Denzel Washington."

The release confirmed that Rev. Gene Robinson, an openly gay Episcopal bishop, will deliver the invocation, and that additional performances may be added.

The event will be televised by HBO on an open signal accessible to all U.S. viewers with access to cable, telcos or satellite television.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Allie

I agree with Mike in NYC that celebrities are basically useless when it comes to most things. A celebrity endorsement will never sway my vote, or convince me to buy anything, etc. Beyonce, Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crow- yes, they need to stick to their day jobs which is what they're good at- entertaining!

January 12, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. Lillie Littles

Thank you very much for putting beyonce on the most wonderfull day in American History.

January 12, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. isaac nokwabuor

I am extremely excited that someone like Obama is finally going to enter the White House. By the grace and power of God, a dream-a fairytale,some would say- is now a reality. Obama is my own son and I would be very hurt and sad to see him fumble. He cannot afford to fail, lest he diasappoints the billions over the world who have given him the benefit of the doubt and reposed their confidence in him, not least, the Almighty God. That is why I would like him to start on a clean note and not entertain people whose character is obviously doubtful, even before having been subjected to any thorough scrutiny. Why would Obama be happy to allow a whole Bible-wielding priest, who describes himself as homosexual deliver his invocation? What kind of moral message is he trying to convey to the billions who will tune in to watch his innauguration? Doesn't Obama recognise that homosexualism is unnatural and extremely filthy and unhealthy practice? Mr. President-elect, I love every human being, including gay people, but they are wayward, as we all know. They are not a good example in our society today. Please, do not give them the platform to legitimise their unwholesome behaviour. Please, please, do not allow them to use you. I won't say much, but I hope you understand me. A word to the wise is enough. Thread cautiously, my son.

January 12, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. fred

fred g and tim are both right. get over it.

January 12, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  5. JAMES

WHO CARES ?

January 12, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. SoCal Bob

Uh...hey, Fish.

Bruce Springsteen "guilty of treason?" (Why, because he opposed George W Bush and John McCain, and supported Barack Obama? Well, if that's your reasoning I guess around 70 million of us are guilty of the same thing.)

"Deported?" To where? New Jersey? Dude, he's already there! You cannot deport an American citizen. Sheesh...

You're not very smart, are you?

January 12, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  7. DIZIZI31

Obama don't forget to thank all the volunteers who worked so hard on this night.

Where is Wilco?

January 12, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  8. alfred jones

Can I get a HOOAH for OBAMA

January 12, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. Mary B

Well, it sure is going to be a new 4 years–take the good with the bad, I guess.

January 12, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. Veronica

January 20 is going to be a day to celebrate.I cant wait!

January 12, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. David

I love that an openly gay reverend will deliver the invocation. Does that mean that Rick Warren is out?

January 12, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. Stephee

Wow,...now it makes me sad that I won't be there to see this.
    T_T Gosh people are so lucky to go.

January 12, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  13. Ia Guy

Now that's some HUGE hair! Her fragile little bod doesn't seem strong enough to hold it up!

I don't think I'm ready for this jelly.

January 12, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. S Callahan

Where the Morman Tabernacle in the line up?
    Even the Brooklyn Tabernacle.......

January 12, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  15. Celusil

Fish,
    Springsteen is a natural born citizen of the US, and as such can't be deported.

Also – don't you think you should explain what you mean
    how has the boss committed treason?

January 12, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  16. Ia Guy

@So What January 12th, 2009 4:23 pm ET

All liberals.
    ------

Um yeah, they are ARTISTS. What would expect?

January 12, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  17. Kimberly

@ Mike in NYC

Might I suggest a quick move to a foreign country? Or how about, read before you post something like "celebrities do nothing" on a website!!!

January 12, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  18. kim

GW Bush and Cheney are both guilty of war crimes.
    Bush and Co. Got us where we are now which is a pretty bad place for most people. They encouraged a divisiveness in this country that disgusts most people.
    Dont forget that nearly every civil right you have from free speech to privacy is the result of the actions of liberals.
    Know the facts before you bash an entire group of people. Maybe going forward we can all move beyond some of the hate instilled in the american people by Bush and Co..

January 12, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  19. Carole

@ Fish, So What and Tim.....WOW what an 8 years it has been!!!!!!!!! Yessir people dying over WMD that never were there; Katrina; Not heeding the 9-11 threats, Gitmo; 401k plans demolished but Dubya wanted us to end Social Security and invest in the stock marke like he ran the Texas baseball team in the mudd. I love the way they come in here with this stuff.

I want to see Mary J Blige!!!!!!! Why is not Mary J Blige the headline? Respect Beyonce' but it is oversaturation of Beyonce' anymore! Love the family and respect them, but Beyonce needs to go away a year or so.

January 12, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  20. no more bushes in the W.H

–who cares????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 12, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  21. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I AIN'T MAD A BEYONCE, I JUST WISH IT WERE ME.

January 12, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  22. In da Burgh

James Taylor is still alive ? Didn't we suffer enough in the seventies?
    Keep Garth and Stevie, and Denzel, throw the rest out.

January 12, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  23. Chris

Where's the King?

Where's Michael?!

January 12, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. Roberta

Fred, to which "she" are you referring? There were several mentioned in this article. And whether or not an artist, musician, singer, etc is overrated is in the eyes or ears of the beholder.

This is a celebration. Kick back and enjoy.

January 12, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |