January 12th, 2009

President Bush requests time for farewell address

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/10/art.bush11.gi.jpg caption="President Bush will address the nation Thursday night."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Bush has requested time from the networks Thursday evening to deliver a roughly 15-minute farewell address from the East Room of the White House.

Filed under: President Bush
  1. john

Wonder who is writing his speech. Watching him spin the BS is like watching Sarah: it hurts so much to watch, but ya can't look away.

So eerily surreal, will he implode on TV like he did in part of this morning's media meeting....Nah, he'll just dig in his heels and say sompin like, When you're right, you're right."

(Even when he's been SO wrong.....)

The dude still thinks the world sees us as a moral leader....the guy wears horse-blinders and packs cotton in his ears, unless Darth Vader signals, "Listen to me for a moment!"

January 12, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  2. Rick Sutter

Comments here are proof positive that we will NEVER be united in this country. Maybe that's for the best. It's better to vent here than to have another civil war, I suppose.

January 12, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  3. rick

Bush never shied away from a tough decision, and he kept the country safe. I also doubt there will be very many changes under Obama, yet Obama's supporters are expecting so much from him. Obama is a play-it-safe, risk avoidance manager – he'll tread water rather than make a move. Americans don't like indecisiveness.

January 12, 2009 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  4. chris@stl

I listened to his pathetic speech this morning .... If he needs another 15 minutes for another pathetic delusional speech, no problem ... go ahead.

January 12, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. Dan

I am a Democrat and I do not agree with many Bush policies, but I will give him his 15 minutes.

It seems like the mature and intelligent thing to do.

January 12, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. Democrat

Bush is the best president of the 21st century this far...

January 12, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. Jan Illinois

Some one tell me is there a chance that he could possibly be turned down for this "fairytale moment"? Please turn him down if possible, he deserves it.

January 12, 2009 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  8. Mark

Say good-bye to the Texas swagger and the bar-fly quips! You make me sick, George, you make me sick!

January 12, 2009 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  9. CMG

My gosh, George, what is there left to say? Do you have any clue as to what you have really done to this country? Please just walk away and don't look back. I can't imagine how I will describe both you and Mr. Cheney to my grandsons. The only chance you have of looking good in the history books is if Sarah Palin becomes President. No doubt, she will out do you.....I'm sure those folks in Dallas are thrilled at your establishing new residency.

January 12, 2009 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. once upon a horse

as long as President Bush's 15 minutes don't get abused like the ones that were given to Sarah Palin and "Joe the writer/reporter/countrysinger/Plumber" I'm all for it.

January 12, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. bsmith171

he needs to be deported to his first love, MEXICO.
    he can work on vicente's farm as a log boy.

January 12, 2009 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. MLH

He's the president, let him make the speech.

January 12, 2009 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  13. Sue

Americans may not like indecisiveness, Rick, but they like liars a lot less. Bush this morning called No Child Left Behind a success! I don't know a teacher in the country who would agree. Underfunded, too many strings, and not working! But that and the helicopters that rescued people from roofs in NO are his big successes. And when he smirks and says that he knew and approved of torture, he is setting himself up for a criminal investigation, either from us or another country. Can't happen too fast!

January 12, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  14. No Incumbents 2010

@ Rick
    The "Civil War" was not a Cival War. The Southern states were not trying to take over the government, they were trying to get the federal government out of state's business or state's rights. Slavery would have ended in the South without the war. Slavery is horrible and was just an issue the feds used to start what they have been doing ever since. Sticking there noses into everyone elses business and taking yours and my rights! Yes this country is divided – those who want the government to leave hardworking adults to make there own decisions as to what is good and not good for them. Those who wish the government would get out of private industry and private matters and just govern. And those who don't want to work as hard and want the government to take care of them cradle to grave. Those who want the government to protect them from themselves – A nanny state.

January 12, 2009 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  15. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

Still in there trying to change how the American public thinks about him. There he was on ALL the news this morning telling lies about the economy and the war just like he always has. Why should we allow him 15 more minutes of our time to try and B.S. us as he walks out the door. He needs to just go away. Preferably to jail for the rest of his thieving life. HEY W... NO MATTER HOW YOU TRY TO SPIN IT, YOU COULDN'T CHANGE OUR MINDS ABOUT YOU IN 15 ZILLION YEARS MUCH LESS 15 MINUTES.. JUST GO TO TEXAS AND SHUT UP... WE'VE HEARD ENOUGH OF YOUR LIES...

January 12, 2009 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  16. EJS

I thought this guy didn't listen to the Polls, so why a farewll address, he's certainly no George Washington, I don't recall other Presidents having farewell addresses, It seems a little untimely and poorly planned (as usual), no I don't want hear him cry on TV, Hes Whole Political career was a huge SHAM, he failed miserably at absolutely everything and is still getting Kudos from the press because he's considered American royalty....

January 12, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  17. legal in nc

Can't wait to pay the same respect to Hussein Obama that you liberal koolaid drinkers have paid to President Bush!!!

Gonna be so easy to pay that SAME respect!

January 12, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  18. Peter (CA)

Looks like that last 27% are on here today.

You will never cease to amaze me. Bush has failed over and over and not only do you praise him but you also criticize Obama before he even comes into office.
    Even though he is already showing so much more ability to think and plan than Bush ever did.

January 12, 2009 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  19. Harry

First off, I'm not saying that I supported Pres. Bush and his decisions, but I think that we should all give him the right to make this address. Lets face it, he had a huge impact on our lives, and while many don't like him and can't wait for Obama to take office, he should get his time. I do feel bad for him at times. He had one of (if not the) most important positions in the world, and he will have people that like him and people that don't.

I do have to give it to him. He never wavered in his convictions and always felt as though he was doing the right thing, and did things with the best of intentions. And lets face it, he was elected into office for a reason. Shame on all of us for saying that we all elected him into office, and then to do things that many of us did not like and then for us to turn our backs on him and say that we don't like you any more? thats BS. While I can't wait for Obama to take office, Pres. Bush should be able to get his 15 minutes...

January 12, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  20. terry brannon

i did not vote for bush, and i did not agree with his decisions. he deserves respect, however. most of these responses are on an elementary level and reflect your own shortcomings. where's the love and respect for our country?

January 12, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  21. Meh

Rick> 9/11 happened on Bush's watch. He did NOT keep the country safe.

January 12, 2009 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  22. mrsb

I hope he apologizes to the city of New Orleans for his neglect......I hope he apologizes for his mother who publicly stated, "Those people will be better off".

I hope he apologizes to the widows and the fatherless children in this country and those wounded in Iraq. May we never have a President who is so out of touch. Let's hope he can be as gracious as McCain.

January 12, 2009 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  23. Home of the Free

Send me a email... Idiot

January 12, 2009 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  24. Zane

Make it short George ..... you're going down as the worst U.S. President!

January 12, 2009 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  25. Bill Charlotte, NC

Give him the time. There are at least 13 people, other than his mom and dad, that will be interested.

January 12, 2009 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |