January 13th, 2009

A momentary Pentagon post for Michelle Obama

(CNN) - At a Tuesday news conference, Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell accidentally gave the future first lady an unexpected administration assignment:

MORRELL: Good afternoon. Pleasure to see you all today.

I have just a few announcements, and then I'll gladly take your questions.

First, Secretary Gates very much appreciates the Senate Armed Services Committee quickly arranging hearings this Thursday for the first four people nominated to serve in this department under President Obama.

As you know, last week the president-elect nominated Bill Lynn to be the deputy defense secretary; Michelle Obama for undersecretary of defense for policy...

(CROSSTALK)

MORRELL: Excuse me. Thank you for...

(LAUGHTER)

Thank you for correcting me. Talk about an - talk about an active first lady.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Mike, Syracuse NY

Oh,pleeease Obama supporters. Micjhelle Obama would not do a good job at this. You people are just insane.

January 13, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  2. tee

MD

BE FOR REAL, HILLARY WILL ANWSER TO HER BOSS(OBAMA)
    SHE HAS NO MORE EXPERIENCE THEN HE DOES, UNLESS YOU COUNT BEING MARRIED TO A PRESIDENT. PLEASE DON'T GET IT TWISTED.

January 13, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  3. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

ha ha ha ha aha ha aha ha aha ha
    Kidding right? What to protect her confused husband from his brothers in crime and terrorists? They should have given her post alongside Panetta. The woman will be the first black lady to be bashed day in and day out. No respect for these racists.

January 13, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  4. tee

MICHELLE COULD HANDLE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 13, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. Erik in Real Pennsylvania

The right wing sore losers can't PROVE it, but they can SAY it.

January 13, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. Obamanationugh!!!

January 13, 2009 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  7. No Hillary = No Obama

Why not? The woman has a law degree from Harvard while her husband spent all his time devoted to capturing the White House while she played the dutiful wife role. She impresses as more substantive than Mr. Sloganeer.

January 13, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  8. she can do it!

Got my vote! Nothing but respect for the woman.

January 13, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  9. Soccer Nana

"Obamanationugh!!! January 13th, 2009 8:46 pm ET

Well I for one will be glad to say "I TOLD YOU SO", when this stupid attempt at a new welfare state collapses on itself in failure. I will not my money to pay for the lazy liberal socialist state!"

And what has Dubya done lately?

Contrary to what your feeble mind may believe, you are not the only person with a job in America and pay taxes. Get over yourself.

January 13, 2009 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  10. mike

Yes bcause appointing your wife to a field where she has no expierence is the sort of change we want. Ussually they just apoint close friends but instead we are going to appoint family. She may have a Law degree but Military policy is much different then civilian or business law. Now don't be confussed I'm sure she would be able to handle the job just pretty sure that there is someone else more qualified.

January 13, 2009 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  11. The brutal truth

See that whats wrong with certain (simple minded) people in America today, so quick to downplay a person's abilities and thinking he/she knows every doggon thing. Not qualified, overqualified crap, that really makes my teeth itch badly! Everybody can do any and everything in this life if we put our minds to it including Michelle. So stop playing with yourselves and take a moment to look at YOU!

January 13, 2009 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |