January 14th, 2009

Court orders White House to preserve e-mails

A federal judge has ordered the White House to preserve its emails.

A federal judge has ordered the White House to preserve its emails.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A federal judge has ordered the Bush White House to preserve its e-mails, just days before a new administration takes over.

The court's preservation notice Wednesday stems from a ongoing lawsuit by private groups over allegedly missing electronic messages, and allegations the
White House failed to properly monitor its internal communications among staff.

The issue has been a thorny legal and political one for outgoing Bush officials, who are in the process of transferring more than 300 million e-mail messages and 25,000 boxes of documents to the National Archives.

U.S. District Judge Henry Kennedy instructed officials to search all White House workstations "and to collect and preserve all e-mails sent or received between March 2003 and October 2005."

Full story

Filed under: Popular Posts • White House
  1. Carmen, NJ

We've had a dictatorship for 8 years. Who in their right mind thinks that Bush and his cronies will listen to the law? It aint gonna happen.

I'm still waiting for the idi...voters who put him in office to apologize. That won't happen either.

Oh well, he'll meet his maker soon enough.

January 14, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  2. Anna, MN

I"ve got a great record. I've never voted for a Bush or a Clinton. I voted for Barack because I'm good at judging character.

I may have lost many elections, but my soul is rested.

January 14, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  3. Johnny

Who are you people who think that just because your views differ that greatly from those of Republicans that the leader of said party is an outright evil criminal who needs to be investigated and prosecuted and even worse??

Say what you will about the man's judgement or intelligence or public speaking ability, but to run amok screaming over and over that the guy was ill-intentioned or unpatriotic or racist is absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who has met the man in person – Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Conservative, Media, Lobbyist, Athlete.... they all say the same thing. That, while questionably suited for the job, he loves this country and always meant well, despite the outcomes. You people screaming for torches are no different than the racists who hate based on skin color.

January 14, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  4. B.H.

If Bush , Cheney and Rumsfeld get away with this,I don’t see how anyone can ever believe that our system has preserved any justice at all
    for our future. They should be tried in an international court for their crimes.

January 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  5. Bill Denton, TX

The Bush haters have six more days.

Then its time to actually do something rather than cry like the babies the Democrats have been for eight years now.

January 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  6. Jackie in Dallas

Good point, Joyce. Lucky for us, email has to go through various servers to be delivered, and betcha that those records have been locked down!

January 14, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  7. DrMan

Jeanne from AZ, based on your skewed ideaology, I too am glad you don't have any children.

January 14, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  8. Norom

Joe Kirby

congratulations-you were able to fit all of the right wing frothing at the mouth talking points into one paragraph. You and Mundy should get together for some chew and hi -fives

January 14, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  9. Blake Hanson

Not a chance, will not hold up; can you call in some experts and have a magical system error...oops. Not my fault, these darn machines keep acting up. E-mail, what e-mail. Oh wait I just recieved a notice from the bank of Nigeria that I have won 1.7 Million dollars. I'll forward that on the the judiciary.

January 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  10. Merle

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!! HERE HERE!

January 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. Frank Lee

Cheney already had them deleted.

January 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  12. monica in seattle

Hey Joe Kirby!

Just to set you straight – it's put your hand OVER your heart NOT CROSS your heart (unless your man boobs are bigger than my D's) when hearing our National Anthem! And for the record, I have NOT been proud to call myself an American in the past eight years because of the joke into what Bush & Co. has turned this country. You're going to hold Michelle Obama's statement against her? I'll stand with her! And before you go screaming 'hippie, vegetarian, pot-smokin' liberal from Seattle,' I'll have you know my handgun is probably bigger than yours.

January 14, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  13. Get Real

I wonder if he lost his just like Bill Clinton had all his deleted somehow. You people that report garbage like this need to get a life.

January 14, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  14. RP

AWWWWWWWWWWW... You silly Americans, you all whine and complain about your current President, and you all blame everyone else for the problems your government has thrown the world into, but all over look one simple thing.... MOST OF YOU VOTED FOR BUSH TWICE... After the mess he made of things with in the first four years as president most of you thought hey lets vote for him again. Good Job the rest of the world is suffering because of the Bush Administration. I think you all owe the rest of us (NON AMERICANS) an apology for what the rest of us (NON AMERICANS) have to suffer through . You all wanted Clinton impeached for a blow job, look at what Bush has done.

Bring the troops home OBAMA is the least you could do.....

January 14, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  15. Terry

We Americans elected Bush to a second term, knowing full well what kind of president he was, though I personally voted against Bush four times: twice as governor and twice as president.

I don't want to spend a lot of our national energy trying to prosecute a bunch of guys who were doing exactly what we knew they were doing. We went along. Our protests were feeble at best until the economy imploded. There were times during the campaign when the majority of Americans said they were going to vote for McCain.

We have more important things to do.

January 14, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  16. Bobbie in Maryland

I have little to no hope that the Bush team will be held accountable for their numerous "high crimes $ & misdemeanors." Nancy Pelosi should NOT have taken impeachment "off the table."!!!

January 14, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  17. Terry

Mike Philly, "Cheney and Rumsfeld must be pooping their pants over this. ..."

The American political dialog just hit a new low.

January 14, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. Matt

SHOCKER!! This has been the least transparent adminstration ever. Neo- Cons don't care about ethics they care about end results. Investigate Bush-Cheney and that will truly re establish America's so called Democracy of the people.

January 14, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  19. Dee Garland, Tx

This administration obey the ruling of a judge? Psssst not a chance.

January 14, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. rocky

Too bad we don't have anything better to spend time and money on. Why is it possible for a small group of special interest morons to waste so much of our tax dollars on STUPID stuff.

January 14, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  21. walleye

To a group that put the Constitution through the shredder, I don’t think doing the same to a few emails will mean anything. I thought it was funny when Larry King asked Bush the other night if Cheney ran the show and he just laughed. I don’t think we should dismiss these two thugs too quickly. They should be held accountable for making up their own laws to suit them. Six more days won’t come soon enough for me.

January 14, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  22. Jan. 20th!!!

"richard":

Good to know you're counting. I'm sure you can't WAIT to sit in the front of your television and watch every second of it. I hope you drown in your own years.

6 DAYS UNTIL AMERICA IS SAVED!!!

January 14, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  23. LIB luv amnesty

crook and lie all media love it as long u liberal.

cnn pls post this...

January 14, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  24. Florida Joe

They have not obeyed the law for 8 years.....Now the pardons will begin..........5 days till the nightmare is over and we send SHRUB back to Texas

January 14, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  25. walleye

TO HMM. I dont care if Joe Kirby is white, black or green. He is a bigot and should be dismissed. The days of people like him ended long ago. They are just too stupid to realize it.

January 14, 2009 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |