January 16th, 2009

Biden's son back from Iraq for the inauguration

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/16/art.bidens0116.gi.jpg caption="Beau Biden has returned from Iraq in order to see his father sworn in as vice president on Tuesday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - The son of Vice President-elect Joe Biden has returned from Iraq to the United States to attend the inauguration of his father and President-elect Barack Obama, a military spokesman said.

Beau Biden, who deployed to Iraq as a captain in the National Guard, is in the United States on temporary duty, said Lt. Col. Leonard Gratteri, a spokesman for the Delaware National Guard.

Biden plans to take several days of leave to attend inaugural events, he said.

The president-elect and vice president-elect are scheduled to take their oaths of office in Washington on Tuesday.

Updated: 1:35 p.m.

Filed under: Beau Biden • Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Terry

As I read about Joe Biden's son serving in Iraq, I can't help but think about George W. Bush's disgraceful lack of service in the Air National Guard. I also note that his daughters, who could have served, were going to expensive colleges while other girls were being shot at in Iraq.

This is symbolic of the Conservative mentality. The Conservative slogan is: "Let others suffer and sacrifice while I prosper."

January 16, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  2. Trust

After Jan 20 2009 Obama is the man in charge. All the haters just suck it up.

January 16, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  3. Stacy from Leesburg VA

It is good to see Beau Biden will be on hand to watch his father in this historic moment. Hopefully, there will be a time soon when he and other troops will come home from Iraq never to return there. God willing, that time will be soon.

January 16, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  4. Outspoken

He has to hurry home so he can steal.....uh....I mean write....his inaugural speech.

January 16, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  5. Delaware

Beau Biden is the CURRENT Attorney General of Delaware, not a former Attorney General.

January 16, 2009 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  6. tluc

great! Now he can take the senate seat that is being kept warm for him. Thanks Dad!

January 16, 2009 09:42 am at 9:42 am |
  7. matt

Your libby president at his best:
    "I'm going to bring home our troops in 16 months...wait, we can't do that, ok, nevermind"......."I'm going to close Gitmo right when I get in office.....wait, I cant do that, ok nevermind".

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GET THIS GUY A PRESIDENTS FOR DUMMIES BOOK!!!

January 16, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  8. Gina in Racine Wi

I am so happy that he is safe.....and that he will be here to witness his Father's place in History at this Historic Event.

God Bless our Troops.

January 16, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  9. Huey Pilot

Beau, welcome home – I hope all is going well for you and the 261st in Iraq! Enjoy your time at home and be in the moment – you have a front row seat to an historic event. We al hope to see you back at JFHQ soon!

January 16, 2009 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  10. lou

How much did this personal trip for the benefit of the Bidens cost the American Taxpayer? I'll bet every American serving in Iraq would have liked to have a free trip home to watch their kids graduate, get married, have a job ceremony, celebrate an anniversary or birthday, etc.. So much for "Change"..... They're all the same, we're duped again.

January 16, 2009 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  11. Joe M

Well, let the snarky posts begin. It's great Beau can be on hand to see his father sworn in a Veep. Safe journey!

January 16, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  12. Simmy

Capt. Biden, so happy that you will be here to witness your father's swearing in. Have a blessed visit and a safe trip back to Iraq.

January 16, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  13. Bruce

If it were a Republican's son coming back, there would be people frothing at the mouth about "privilege" and "favoritism." But since it's a Democrat's son, there will be nothing about it.

And there shouldn't be for either one. His dad is going to be VP. It may or may not be the only time he's sworn in (depending on the next four years).

I'm glad Beau was given the consideration to come see Dad sworn in. And I appreciate his service to his country. I wonder how HE feels about the war in Iraq. He and dad may not see eye to eye...

January 16, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  14. Chris

Well, of course you have to let him leave to see his father be sworn in as VP.

January 16, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  15. Accountant Guy

That is great. Hopefully, we will have all our servicemen and women back here at home!! Thank you all for your service!!

January 16, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. Al, NY NY

and the GOP griping starts........."priveledged" "not fair to the other soldiers" How about Mr deferment, Chicken Hawk Cheney? Or "I'm gonna show up when I want to at the Alabama National Guard" Duh-bya?

January 16, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  17. RB

If it was a Bush child it would be favoritism in the eyes of the media... Why isn't there criticism for giving special treatment to a Lib/Dem politician's child?

January 16, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  18. Robin

I'm not saying he should not be present for his father's inauguration. But what you do for one soldier should be extended to others. Such as allowing them to go home for the births of their children.

January 16, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  19. tasha....ky

i think that is great ....my prayers are with ever man and women and their familys that are over there. biden is a good man. i think that obama made the right choice.

January 16, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  20. Accountant Guy

That is great that he will get to attend this historic inaguration!!

January 16, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  21. obama-mama

I know Beau is proud of his father. Hope he runs for his seat in 2012

January 16, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  22. Dan, TX

Congratulations and enjoy your father's inauguration, Sir!

January 16, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  23. Old Weird Bud

Some things never change. Although I respect Beau Biden for his military service, I think it speaks loudly to the point that who you know and and who you are are powerful forces. There's nothing like getting special treatment for the powerful. Who pays for this?

January 16, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  24. Gen Patton

Good to see this incoming Administration not giving out favors. Hypocrites

January 16, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  25. Melody From Virginia

Can his son not watch it on TV like everyone else? Who paid his transportation and security costs? American people probably.

January 16, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |