January 16th, 2009

Biden's son back from Iraq for the inauguration

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/16/art.bidens0116.gi.jpg caption="Beau Biden has returned from Iraq in order to see his father sworn in as vice president on Tuesday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - The son of Vice President-elect Joe Biden has returned from Iraq to the United States to attend the inauguration of his father and President-elect Barack Obama, a military spokesman said.

Beau Biden, who deployed to Iraq as a captain in the National Guard, is in the United States on temporary duty, said Lt. Col. Leonard Gratteri, a spokesman for the Delaware National Guard.

Biden plans to take several days of leave to attend inaugural events, he said.

The president-elect and vice president-elect are scheduled to take their oaths of office in Washington on Tuesday.

Updated: 1:35 p.m.

Filed under: Beau Biden • Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. Justanotherbeaker

I think this is great allowing the VP elect's son the opportunity to see his father sworn in for this once (maybe twice) in a lifetime opportunity.

I now expect my oldest to be allowed to come home in mid- to late May in order to see his brother graduate from high school (definitely something that will only happen once.)

January 16, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. Ray

Wow, what a perk. I'm sure the guys I served with in Iraq would have loved to have been able to see their child being born, or would have appreciated being able to go home and support their wife when she suddenly started chemo a month after she found out she had cancer, or...well, you get the idea. This is stupid. He could have watched it on CNN just like any other soldier who isn't out on patrol that day and had the urge to watch. Think of all the other once in a lifetime events people are missing and this pales in comparison. If you don't think so, you really have no frame of reference.

January 16, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. Rick in WA

I congratulate Captain Biden on his service. I am a conservative Republican. Not a repug, rethug, retardican, etc. We need to find some common ground. Service to country in the armed forces is a good place to start.

January 16, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. ss

It's true though – if it was the child of a Republican – everyone would be up in arms. Great he gets to come home, I would want him there if I was Biden too, but if my son/husband were in Iraq, I wouldn't want them to miss any milestones in our lives and they wouldn't receive any special treatment because of it.
    And whoever is griping about Bush in the National Guard – I'm glad we have new President who has NO military experience and now he's going to be in charge of it. NICE!

January 16, 2009 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  5. Militaryman

I serve our country and I dont think its right that he can come home right after leaving. Gee what special treatment this is. Heck for exmaple the army either want let you go home or gives them hard time about seeing the birth of a child. Secondly let an enlisted person asked to go home to see their childs graduation or anything pertaining to there family. I am sure it will not happen. This is a ashame and i surely dont agree with it. Any military person reading this topic should voice concern.

January 16, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  6. M.G.

This is so typical... My husband and son are both active duty in the United States Navy, I find this to be appauling that special circumstances only applies to "certain " people, Seen it a thousand times. What is good for one is good for all... YEAH RIGHT!!!

January 16, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  7. Charles Douglas Lemay

I'm only sorry it's not Sarah Palin's son being allowed to come home
    to watch his mother being sworn in as VP...

January 16, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  8. KB

Beau, great that you could be there to see your father sworn in. Hopefully, this will be a twice in a lifetime event!

January 16, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  9. PO'd Service member

what crap! Again Do as I say not as I do....a lowly Lite Bird at that....what about important event for other...'once in a life time' seeing your kid born? Holding your wife's hand during the birth missed.......

Elitist again! I've NEVER been granted that type of dispensation when I deploy.......NEVER and neither are others! I don;t care WHO it is or WHAT party they are from..........

IT'S CRAP! right change.....hmmmm

January 16, 2009 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  10. A real American Vet

unacceptable!

January 16, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  11. TomD

My prayers for everyone serving in Iraq. This is the first step in bringing them ALL home permanently! Let's not forget who sent them their on a bogus mission for the Haliburton Board of Directors.

January 16, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  12. RW

Hey RB, Bush children favortism. Is that to get into a good college? Is that to get into a bar or get out of an DUI? I do not remember them serving in the military. I do not remeber them even serving in government.

January 16, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  13. AnaB

I think it's great he will be able to come back to see his father sworn in. Same as I would have thought it would be great if it was a republican being sworn in. It's a big deal no matter who it is.

January 16, 2009 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  14. Rick B

This is absolutely ridiculous and a waste of taxpayer's money! Too many of us have missed the birth's of our children and other significant events in our families lives because of being deployed. I'm sorry, but Beau Biden is not any more important than anyone else in this country that is serving in the military. I personally mised many significant events in my families lives, including the birth of my first child and was told I could not go home even though I was going to return just like Beau Biden is. It's all a bunch of garbage. I live in Delaware and have worked with many of the people he is deployed with and no special arrangements are made for their important family events. I don't care that his father is being sworn in as Vice President, he should be afforded no more privilege than anyone else in uniform! Plus, I can't recall the last time I saw anyone get leave while they were deployed unless they had a death of an immediate family member and were returned on Emergency Leave. What a crock!

January 16, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  15. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

Thats wonderful!!!!! How sad it would have been had he not been able to attend this most wonderful happening, for how many times in ones lifetime does a son get to witness his father being sworn in as Vice President of the United States.. I can only imagine how proud he is of his father Joe Biden..

January 16, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. patNY

All soilders deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan are entitled to a specified time of leave. He was just able to chose his at a time his father is being sworn in as VP. So, no, there's no favoritism or priviledge issues here. This just means he used up some of his allotted leave at this time. So, no, this is not costing taxpayers anymore money than if he were to use his leave at another time. BUT I will say this, if he can use his leave to see his dad sworn in as VP, then other soilders should be able to use it to be home for the birth's of their kids. and to attend funerals of immediate family members.

January 16, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  17. Kirk

A forty million dollar event for Bush and everyone including my self thought it was a waste of taxpayer's money. A hundred million for the king obama and everyone are on their knees (except me). I really think this is a waste of money. A hundred million would bail out a lot of mortgages as the demrats say they want to do. But what the hey, the taxpayers are about to hand over another 400 billion to them to squander away. The real big party starts and the beginning of the error is at hand. Grab your a– folks the theiving sobs are fully on the prowl.

January 16, 2009 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. ryan

for those who say favortism for his son, he's going back to iraq. in all honesty he should be redeployed to another spot away from combat ala prince harry for security concerns. i can see this being an episode for 24, the VP son held hostage in iraq, go gettem jack!

January 16, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  19. Mama

Robin said, "what you do for one soldier should be extended to others."
    I don't disagree Robin ... what I'm hoping is that, perhaps – just perhaps – this signals a new day for the military under Obama where the Troop's are considered humans and not just cannon fodder!

January 16, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. Chris in MI

For God's sake, he's only coming in to see the swearing in of his father. And of course, he should be a part of it of this historic day in history and his family. Any criticism of is purely idiotic and mean-sprited

January 16, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  21. donna

For all you people who complain for one reason or another, just sit yourself down and think – how many in your lifetime get the chance to see a Father sworn in as Vice-president. There have only been 44 Presidents in U.S history. Any concession that can be made, should be made. If you begrudge this, you are petty and small minded. Get a Life!

January 16, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  22. wow

If it were you would you not want your son to come home or would you not want to see your father sworn in. Those of you that are hating, shut up and go and serve

January 16, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  23. Jim

Well, I voted for the Obama/Biden ticket, and this display of favoritism is very disappointing to me.

January 16, 2009 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  24. Hall for Obama

Bush Child will never go to war and fight for you, so get over that way of think. Did Bush go to war? NO! maybe his son – in – law, but I don't think so.

January 16, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  25. Linda

God bless the Biden's and the Obama's! Anyone who saw Joe Biden's speech yesterday on the Senate floor can understand the importance of having his family there to witness his swearing in.

January 16, 2009 10:48 am at 10:48 am |