January 16th, 2009

Biden's son back from Iraq for the inauguration

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/16/art.bidens0116.gi.jpg caption="Beau Biden has returned from Iraq in order to see his father sworn in as vice president on Tuesday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - The son of Vice President-elect Joe Biden has returned from Iraq to the United States to attend the inauguration of his father and President-elect Barack Obama, a military spokesman said.

Beau Biden, who deployed to Iraq as a captain in the National Guard, is in the United States on temporary duty, said Lt. Col. Leonard Gratteri, a spokesman for the Delaware National Guard.

Biden plans to take several days of leave to attend inaugural events, he said.

The president-elect and vice president-elect are scheduled to take their oaths of office in Washington on Tuesday.

Updated: 1:35 p.m.

Filed under: Beau Biden • Joe Biden • Popular Posts
  1. easiss

Soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq get to come home on leave. They usually come home halfway through their tour, but I know of some who have taken leave early, for whatever reason. Quit making a big deal about him coming home. He's not getting special privileges, he's just getting leave!

January 16, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. C W

George W. Bush has never proven where he was for his entire time in the Texas Air National Guard. Repeat: NEVER.

Talk about privilege – his records completely disappeared! My guess is he was off partying somewhere.

The favor for Beau Biden: To come home to see his father sworn in as VP and then return to Iraq.

The favor for George W. Bush: To goof off while others served and died – and to never be held accountable.

I still can't believe there were enough bozos in our country to elect him TWICE!

Thank goodness that era is OVER!

January 16, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  3. obama-mama

@Dexter in Houston TX -Amen

January 16, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. Swampy

It's a military decision. You got a problem with it? Take it up with the current Commander-in-Chief, George W. Bush. If you don't feel like doing that, then shut up and squawk about something important.

January 16, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  5. April S

To David B.

If the article doesn't interest you, why read it? They both are eligible to run for President and Vice President. So...just because they haven't served in the war means...? AND its not furloughing. I'm sure the guys in the army would love to witness life changing events, some people actually get to witness it.

January 16, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  6. Fran

You haters need to stop your whining and complaining. So what if this man is granted leave to see his father become VP? Who does it hurt, what is the harm in it? This country has more pressing issues than you haters complaining about something that really does not concern you. Get a Life!

January 16, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  7. Florida Joe

Hey SG
    January 16th, 2009 11:35 am ET

Boy – that Joe Biden is just one of us isn't he! No preferential treatment in that family. I wonder if Sarah Palin's or John McCain's sons are coming home for the corronation?

NO.........they LOST! If they had one you would be saying how wonderful it is....................

January 16, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  8. js

Niun: January 16th, 2009 11:27 am ET

Of course he has to come early he can't just watch it on tv. HE just went there for an act.
    ___________________________________________________

the fact that you say he went there as an "act" is an insult to all military members. have gone over there? have you seen or done what our military personnel have to do? I didnt think so. So before you call someone's service an "act" walk few steps in their boots over there.
    It's not like he is coming home for good, he is home on a leave and will return; and this leave will most likely be considered his R&R so he wont be able to come home until his deployment duties are fulfilled.

January 16, 2009 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  9. a little sad

Interesting – some people have advocating he get 'special treatment' because he is the VP's son by way of precluding him from serving in a war zone at all. The concern is that he might endanger the other soldier with him, being a "high value" target for the enemy.

With all the security being set up for DC during the inauguration, I'm kind of glad he's not going to be over there looking easier to hit.

And I am glad that he won't be standing next to any of my military family members who might get hit along with him.

January 16, 2009 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. dennis

Change we can believe it.........right.

January 16, 2009 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  11. Jay

I was in the military for 24 years and I don't have a problem with that. He will be using his leave. That's goes on all the time in each branch of service.

January 16, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  12. regina

joe bidens son was the attorney general of delaware when he got orders to go to iraq.if he didnt want to go he could have gotten out of it.

January 16, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  13. scott

Dwight Eisenhowers son came home from Korea for his 1953 inauguration.

January 16, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. California Gold

I have a family. I have children. When something important rolls around in life I want my family and my children there with me. There really isn't anything more to it.

January 16, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  15. susie

Did Obama serve in the military or peace corp. or anything that served the people?

January 16, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  16. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

yey 🙂

January 16, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. carlo

Chuck, Tennessee January 16th, 2009 11:46 am ET

TO ALL WHO HAVE NOT SERVED IN THE MILITARY, PLEASE REFRAIN FROM COMMENTING ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

It hurts the morale of our troops when they see a person get special treatment because of who they are. Military members are away from their families for months at a time, miss their children's births, first steps, first words, birthdays, graduations, and the list goes on and on. If you don't know what it is like to serve your country and make these sacrifices, then just SHUT UP!

Now, as someone who has served and made these sacrifices, I must say that THIS STINKS!
    ****************************************************************************

Welll, Chuck, I have family members who have served multiple tours of duty, and THEY don't have a problem with this. Perhaps you should have made the same stink about Cheney and Bush dodging serving the military when they were eligible to do so. Palin's son went to avoid jail, and I'm sure they both would be here if McCain and Palin had won.

January 16, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  18. Like Father Like Son

He would have made a better President-elect.

January 16, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  19. BROOKLYN

Thats great news! Wow, so happy he is home... Who is paying for all of this?
    Why did they not bring EVERYONE home for the event?

I think I am going to puke.

January 16, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  20. CMG

Fantastic!!!!

January 16, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  21. Scott

Gerry in Va. for Obama

It would have been wonderful for me to get leave from the War Zone that I was serving in for the birth of my child during the 1st Gulf War. That is a once in a lifetime event too.

January 16, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. Jackie in Dallas

So, if McCain and Palin had won, would you who are complaining be saying the same thing if Palin's son got leave to come home for it? I doubt it. He is entitled, as all military, to apply for leave from duty. You take vacation days, sick days, don't you? In war, you rarely have that option. He's not getting special treatment, except that most likely he will have priority access to transportation.

Geez, you guys like to complain! Give it a rest, please. We know you don't like President Elect Obama and Vice President Elect Biden, and nothing either does is going to be the right thing in your eyes. Yes, those of us who aren't too fond of President Bush have been complaining for years - but we are complaining about things of substance for the most part. Like erosion of our Constitutional rights, the deaths of thousands of our military in a war that should never have been started, like the weak followup to the war in Afghanistan, like the gutting of our economy. And I'm not blinded by fervor about President Elect Obama; he's going to make mistakes, he's going to make decisions I don't agree with and you'll see my complaints then, too. But think about this, Biden is being sworn in as our country's second-highest elected official on Tuesday - if you were in his shoes, wouldn't you want your son there?

January 16, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. Boston Irish

People keep griping about Bush's lack of service in the National Guard. Can anyone tell me which branch of the service Obama served in? A lot of men serve in the Air National Guard. Does anyone have a problem with it? Oh, guess if your last name is Bush, it is not a good way to serve your country. Look, either it's okay for everyone and that means Bush, or it's not. You can't condemn one for serving in the Guard and pat all others on the back and say "Job well done".

January 16, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  24. MI 108th BN WildChicken

I served seven years. I am proud of my service. I served during the first Gulf War and spent 3 years and 7 months stationed overseas.
    2 YEARS WITHOUT LEAVE!!!!
    For those who are commenting about taking leave as if it were just a matter of submitting your 4187 request. That is a bunch of balony!!!

108th MI BN did not get to go home. Did not get to march in a victory parade. Instead, we went to Euro Disney with our COMPANY as a way of telling us to suck it up! Special treatment with Biden, you bet. I smell Kerry Ketchup Act Part II all over this one!!!

Then we reflagged from Eight UP to the 501st. Which was affectionately known as the 501TH (Five-O-Oneth)....

January 16, 2009 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  25. bill

cnn WHY IS MY COMMENT STILL WAITING MODERATION. THIS IS CRAP.JUST PRINT WHAT PEOPLE SAY. SENSORSHIP AT CNN SURLEY NOT. HUM

January 16, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |