January 19th, 2009

Obama visits wounded soldiers at Walter Reed

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama made a surprise visit Monday morning to wounded soldiers at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. billy-bayou

This morning I walked out for my newspaper as usual @ 5:30 A.M. Sitting down with the paper and my coffee, I had to pinch myself to see if I was really at home. Looking at the paper, cover to cover, it appeared as though I may have been transported to somewhere in Africa overnight. I discarded the paper and found some real news on my MSN home page. Now I can cancel the paper and save money, thank you very much.

January 19, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  2. Texas Teacher

I don't think Obama will not forget the military men and women. He understands their common roots. How often they go into the military to not only serve their country, but to better themselves. They give their all, which often is their lives or their limbs... or their emotional mental health. And they get little credit or support when they come home. No, I don't think Obama will forget them. He knows from whence they came.

January 19, 2009 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. RK

For all those who thought Obama was going to undermine the military, this is evidence that the US servicemen and women are his first priority. Sorry for those who will not watch history tomorrow. Get over the past and join the history making moment tomorrow

January 19, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. ross berg- Buffalo, NY

Our true heroes!!! Let's hope the new administration will make a priority of fixing the mess that currenlty greets our homecoming service-people????

January 19, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  5. jfs Memhis, Tn

BILLY-BAYOU.......................

To Bad you weren't transported to Africa. You could use the exposure. HECK, you might even learn something . Apparently you don't get out enough to expand what little culture you have. Just keep paying your taxes it makes it a bit easier for the rest of this country to handle your citizenship.

January 19, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. New Day 4 U

my comments to billy-bayou:

No sir; this is not Africa. There are no extremist Islamic gang leaders running their troops through the Bayou in the middle of the night stripping you of the little amount of U.S. currency you have in your homes and raping your wives and daughters. All of this is done, of course, after the local law enforcement has been bribed into doing nothing to protect you.

This is not Africa – where Mississippi would send troops into Louisiana and kill over 2 million people in their sleep, while the other states sit back and watch (like the U.S. did to Rwanda and Darfur)

No, this is the country – where a brave and intelligent African-American (of many millions in the U.S.) will lead a country (and the free world) with the grace of God and a simple rallying cry:

Yes We Can

Prejudice is the scum of the world and it is proven in the ineffectiveness of those who practice it.

Signed, the African American entrepreneur whose abundance of Taxes paid sustains your lifestyle...

January 19, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |