January 20th, 2009

Obama attends pre-inaugural prayer service

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama, along with wife Michelle, arrived at St. John's Episcopal Church at 8:49 am for an inaugural morning prayer service.

Watch the Obamas leave for church

St. Johns Church is located near the White House, adjacent to Lafayette Park.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. chuck

GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA AND VP JOE BIDEN. GOD BLESS AMERICA. CHANGE HAS COME TO AMERICA.

January 20, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  2. Angie

May God bless and keep you President Obama.

January 20, 2009 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  3. grahame

God Bless the man. God Bless Joe Biden also. They are going to need it

January 20, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  4. Mike O'Brien

Beautiful couple.. Mike in Montana

January 20, 2009 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. James in NYC

May the Lord bless our new intelligent, inspirational, and all around cool leaders of our United States of America! Best wishes to you President Barack Hussein Obama and Joe Biden!

January 20, 2009 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  6. barbara watson

I love CNN and normally I love Carol Costello but she just interviewed someone who said they avoided the security checks and proceeded to tell how. Is that responsible reporting or is she brain dead from the cold? You all have a great responsibility to think before you speak.

January 20, 2009 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  7. Awilda Torres

This historic moment is so unique and stirs emotions beyond believe, as a veteran and a Latino I have never felt so proud and felt so much exitement for something happening in our country.

God Bless the U.S. and the new administration.

Peace and Love

January 20, 2009 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  8. anousheykhan

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy today .Obama really will bring change not only to America but the whole world.anoushey khan Pakistan

January 20, 2009 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  9. Katie and Skyler

We did not know that Barack was religous, if we did, we could have voted for him. Barack is still amazing and is still our Home Boy!!!! He and Joe Biden are for sure to be great president and vice-president! =D

January 20, 2009 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  10. Katie and Skyler and Stewart and Bri

BARACK OBAMA ROCKS OUR SOCKS!!!!!!!! Him being religous makes it twice as better!

January 20, 2009 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  11. landandair

May GOD Bless you and Keep You and Us.
    Beautiful, Simply Beautiful.
    Have a great day. See you in the office in the morning.

January 20, 2009 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  12. Danny

Is he gonna pray on the bible or the other book? This is a joke everybody having org's over him. Let's get over it and get back to reality!!!!

January 20, 2009 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  13. Dennis

To celebrate I will now take all my money out of the stock market. I will prepare for him to ignore terrorism like Clinton did. I will pray that he doesn't ease the credit policies like Clinton did that caused thousands to foreclose. I will also pray he doesn't take any advice from the democratic congress that has messed up the last two years. I will pray for Obama. I will celebrate the first half white president. That is an accomplishment in itself.

January 20, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. Florida John

Do you think Rev Wright gave him a good tongue lashing before he went?

January 20, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  15. John

My prayers are with you today President Obama and family!!

January 20, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. TomD

At noon today, it seems that not only will America rejoice, but the world. A true "leader" unifies. It seems he may have taken the unity outside our walls. America is showing the world that we are not a country of bigots and bullies. The PEOPLE do still run the country. This along with the gracious transition of power is showing the world that Democracy is alive and well in America!!!!

Thank you President Obama for having the courage to step up.

January 20, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  17. Randy Hill

This man,this moment.on this day the whole world wants to be American. Yesterday (MLK) a day to honor all the people who sacrificed for this day. At noon today hopefully Churches will ring their bells 44 times for America and the world will know it is time to claim victory over those who stood in the path of rightousness. For those of us who can't be there thank you CNN.

January 20, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  18. Mike Payton, New Boston, Ohio

What a day! I keeping wishing my parents were here to share it....Hope my kids will never forget it.

January 20, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  19. Eric

I don't think he is religious but I think he is a man of faith. May the good Lord protect and guide him and his administration. Go forth and serve. One country – One Love.

January 20, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  20. haitianfemalefor BO

may god bless and protect you, your wife and your 2 beautiful girls. most people do not realize that you are a shrewd and intelligent man who will lead with wisdom and god will lead your heart. Haitians for OBAMA

January 20, 2009 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  21. Shari, NY

Yes we can! May god bless and keep you and yours!

Sen Obama: Remember this part of the Lord's prayer:

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies – MY CUP RUNNETH OVER".

January 20, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  22. Virginia

I have waited for this change for over 8 years. I knew Bush was not the man for the job before he was elected, or I should have said had the election stolen for him by the Supreme Court. He had done his dirty work in invading Iraq by 2003 and made his lemmings believe only he could protect us. That swept him back into office. Now it is the dawning of a new day and I say 'Thank God' it is finally here. Bush enacted laws that treated patriotic and loyal Americans as terrorists and people not to be trusted. All the while, he and his dirty cronies were the ones working against the common good of our country. Today, President Obama takes charge, and I caution all the Repubs in congress to think twice before they try to throw up roadblocks when Obama tries to change things. Standing in front of a speeding train will get the same results.

January 20, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  23. AnaB

This truly is a great day for America!!

January 20, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  24. Terese Martindell-Tyner

"I urge that supplications, prayers,, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for everyone--all who are in high positions; so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. This is right and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior."
    1Timothy 2:2-3
    I agree with the sermon I heard Sunday. I will do my part to make this the most prayed for President in history!
    T.

January 20, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. JO

MAY GOD BLESS PRESIDENT OBAMA AND VICE PRESIDENT BIDEN. KEEP GOD FIRST IN ANY DECISONS YOU MAKE. ALLOW GOD TO WORK THROUGH YOU AND THE CHANGE WILL COME.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!