January 20th, 2009

Obama signs first presidential proclamation

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/20/sign.jpg caption="The president signed three documents soon after his swearing in Tuesday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - As his first official action after being sworn in, President Barack Obama signed three documents Tuesday, including a proclamation declaring a day of national renewal and reconciliation.

"I'm a lefty. Get used to it," Obama quipped as he signed his name. "I was told not to swipe the pen."

The past three presidents signed similar reconciliation proclamations upon being sworn in.

Also signed by Obama were Cabinet and sub-Cabinet nominations. Those nominations will be presented to the Senate when it meets at 3 p.m. Tuesday,
and are necessary before the full Senate can confirm the nominations, according
to Senate staff members.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. ah

I loved his speech, I hope people will understand what he means, and will do. As he said now is time to work, to do, not to sit and wait. Forget racism, embrace peace and creativity, not destructions.
    Lovely speech.

January 20, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  2. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Work, work, work...

January 20, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. Lori

Happy days are here!

January 20, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. Dayahka

Obama's speech had two major points, one against the past and one for the future. Against the past he repudiated Bush's trampling of the Constitution by saying that we would not trample our ideals for the sake of expediency–in effect a repudiation of torture, Guantanamo, violation of international laws, and so on that were characteristic of an "anything goes" X president; and the second, a forward look that says against the doomers and nay-sayers that Yes, we can do what's necessary. A great speech; and most appropriate at this time in history. He rejected scum like Bush and appealed to our higher selves. Wonderful!

January 20, 2009 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  5. james carlton

why if we aren't a christian state does the president get sworn in with his hand on the bible?

January 20, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. Nganenu

Greatness is not a gift, it is earned...
    The quote

January 20, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. SM

What a great day for America, and for Sec. of State Clinton. Hillary, we're counting on you to keep us out of war and to regain America's standing in the world.

January 20, 2009 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  8. Actionsauce

And here shall be the beginning of extraordinary changes like we cannot even imagine. America is back!

January 20, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. Grady in DC

Nobody cares about that start signing over some checks and quick

January 20, 2009 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  10. Noel Templer

As a Republican, I supported President Bush. As an American, I shall support President Obama.

I wish him the best in every way during these troubled times and will pledge my encouragement and prayers for a successful administration.

January 20, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. jaye

God Bless this president and our country.
    I'm so happy I can't stop smiling!!!

January 20, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  12. Griff

Born Free? Now what about the Congo???

January 20, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. JT

Lokk at him. Already to work on his historical day. May God bless you President Obama.

January 20, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. James Williams

Gee I don't hear any comments on the ending of the prayer!

January 20, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  15. Ram Dumpeti

What a wonderful day, the day people of different color ,but one single race of "HUMAN BEING" gathered to show World that we are all one and help other nations to come out of their idealogy of terrorism, killing innocent human beings, greedy people and hanging out with useless belief of selfish religion. God bless Obama and us to fulfill idealogy of our fore-fathers's dream of free and fare society of United States of America.
    We live and we let other's to live.
    We are and we will be after the terrorism, eliminating the poverty around our Planet.
    We will always have our third eye (Lord Shiva) on bad enemies.
    We will show as usual that America is always America when comes to Technology for improving the health of human beings and Mother Planet.

January 20, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  16. SHIRLEY HARLOW

THIS IS MOST AWESOME THING IN OUR HISTORY....DUE TO THE FACT THAT WE CELABRATED DR KINGS BIRTHDAY, I THOUGHT IT TO BE A GOOD TIME FOR THE SONG "WE SHALL OVER COME.'..HOWEVER IT WENT FARTHER THAN THAT BECAUSE I REALIZED THAT WE HAVE OVER COME TODAY. I PUT IT TO THE TUNE OF "WHAT A N AWESOME GOD WE SERVE"!

WE HAVE OVER COME , WE HAVE OVER COME TODAY....
    DOC-TOR KING ASURED US, HEAVENLY ANGELS, ADORED US,
    "WE HAVE OVER COME TODAY"

S H LAS VEGAS

January 20, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  17. Hope

Yes we can

January 20, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  18. Connie

I'm so proud of Barack Obama and so proud of America! Obama gives us a breath of fresh air and miles of hope at a time that we need it most. My prayers and best wishes are with him.

January 20, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. mj

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't blame me for what's about to happen, I voted for McCain.

January 20, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Art in California

It would be a nice change of pace if he can get Americans to put America first and leave partisan politics behind. Let's make our representatives work to improve the lives of all Americans!

January 20, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. Charles

Holy god calm down people. He's just a man and if past presidents are any indication we are in for a rough future with this guy. Our liberties and rights are being stripped away before your eyes and all you can say is Wow, we have a black president now? 100 bucks says he's just as big of a fascist as the guy who left.

January 20, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Mike

I hope he governs as a lefty too.

January 20, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. Jessica

oh snap HURRAY FOR LEFTIES!

January 20, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. Salt

Fantastic and memorable speech! Congratulations, Mr. President! May the haters stay off your case as you prepare to try and fix the enormous mess ahead of you.

January 20, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  25. Mike in California

I am speechless as to how this made me feel!!!
    We picked the right man for the right job and i believe that our new President will lead us as a nation to a better and brighter tomorrow.
    May God Bless this great man and his family.

January 20, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |