January 20th, 2009

Obama signs first presidential proclamation

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/20/sign.jpg caption="The president signed three documents soon after his swearing in Tuesday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - As his first official action after being sworn in, President Barack Obama signed three documents Tuesday, including a proclamation declaring a day of national renewal and reconciliation.

"I'm a lefty. Get used to it," Obama quipped as he signed his name. "I was told not to swipe the pen."

The past three presidents signed similar reconciliation proclamations upon being sworn in.

Also signed by Obama were Cabinet and sub-Cabinet nominations. Those nominations will be presented to the Senate when it meets at 3 p.m. Tuesday,
and are necessary before the full Senate can confirm the nominations, according
to Senate staff members.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. Toni

Proud American – Grover Cleveland's presidency was not consecutive and therefore is counted twice. Besides, I doubt if any cares about such a small blunder with this economy.

January 20, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  2. Jeannie

"I'm a lefty. Get used to it,"

Yeah, we know!

January 20, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  3. Jesus Christ

He is the 44th President and while 44 different men may not have recited the oath of office, the oath was recited 44 times, so there is no error you Proud yet arrogant American

January 20, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  4. Bir Ganguly

It was so distateful to see religious invocations and the use of the Bible at so many points in the ceremony inaugurating the new president of a supposedly secular nation.

January 20, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  5. Bert Convey

"Actionsauce January 20th, 2009 1:33 pm ET

And here shall be the beginning of extraordinary changes like we cannot even imagine. America is back!"

The Stock market is down 300 points. Not good change, in my book.
    What kind of messiah is this guy?
    Oh yeah, that's Bush's fault, right? Great to have a built-in excuse for failure.

January 20, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  6. MD

Great speech. Well to the point and more about "we," than "I."

Obama looks so presidential.

Bush always looked like an uncomfortable cowboy who felt out of place.

January 20, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  7. EVERYMAN

He's a lefty all right!

January 20, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. Mrs Roberts

Obama is an inspiration to me, as a 26 yr old banker, I feel like I can accomplish anything I put may mind to and WORK for... I do believe greatness is earned..... America is heading for greatnes................

January 20, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  9. EVERYMAN

Where's my Rainbow and Unicorn???

January 20, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  10. Pat F

He's a "lefty" – no kidding, Barry!

January 20, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  11. Catherine

Proud American: If he's the 44th president and since he gave his speech AFTER the oath of office, and there haven't been any women presidents, 44 men have given the oath of office. He could have also said 43 men prior to me, but 44 is still correct.

January 20, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  12. BW

So, to not support Obama would be anti-American? Where were you people when Bush needed your support...when our troops needed your support. Such hypocrites! I'll support Obama because of the office of the presidency. This has nothing to do with his race (half white/half black), though many will say anyone who doesn't support Obama (the American) is racist. I don't support his liberal agenda, his socialist economic plans, or his stand on abortion. Argue all you want, the facts stand that this is the political platform he ran on. And for those of you who believe Obama is God-sent, God is anti-abortion and believes (check your Bible) that the union of 2 people is between a man and a woman.

January 20, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  13. GOPloser

Obama do not worry lefty is always good, much better than right , you can see what it did to bush being right wing.

January 20, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. kayla

CONGRATULATIONS MR. PRESIDENT. WELL DONE GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT.

January 20, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. LIBERAL FOR LIFE

Me supporting the democratic all the way, was kind of sad to see the Bush's fly off into the sunset.

January 20, 2009 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  16. george cook

A "LEFTY" he is alright. We shall soon see how far LEFT he really is now that he is in HIS White House....so he indicated the other day in a brief speech. I thought it was the PEOPLE's White House...oh well..>CHANGE has come....sit back and enjoy...NOW it is time to WALK THE TALK, not just TALK THE TALK.

george
    rocheter, ny

January 20, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  17. Roni

Congratulations President & First Lady Obama. Best wishes to you both.

January 20, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. BERT IS AN IDIOT

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

the stock market is down 300 points and you blame the man WHO HAS NOT EVEN HAD THE ABILITY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE ECONOMY. hE HAS NOT MADE ANY OFFICIAL POLICY. You are a complete moron.

January 20, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. Howard

I give him 6 months to make things much worse

January 20, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  20. Ralph Asdell

As white Americans now in our 70's, my wife & I can never remember a day such as this. A dark door has closed & we see the light of hope & promise already as this unique individual, our new President, truly blest by God , opens a lighted window of promise on America's future. We too, are free to dream again as we serve & try to do our part to make this great democracy flourish & bloom. God Bless America! R. Asdell

January 20, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  21. JJ12345

Art in California January 20th, 2009 3:15 pm ET

It would be a nice change of pace if he can get Americans to put America first and leave partisan politics behind.
    ___________________________________________________
    Not a chance, there will always be partisian politics. Both sides are full of it.

January 20, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Carol Weyle in Lakewood Co

Welcome-to change and Good Vibrations!

Colorado Mom

January 20, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  23. Anna-Maria

hey BW-check your Bible. Judge lest ye be judged and treat others as you'd have them treat you. Jesus was always more about love and acceptance. that is what you need to focus on in your Bible.

Anyone who is anti-Obama is NOT un-American or racist. Stop using that as a crutch for-oh look I'm being attacked as someone who doesn't support Obama. If you have a critcism that is well constructed then no one will fault you for that. As for the racism-sadly there were a lot of people who did vote on those terms, hey on both sides of the equation but its' time to put that behind us. Don't be so defensive. If that's what you believe, simply say, hey this is how I feel while I respect what you feel, that's not gonna work for me.

And alot of people supported Bush and the troops-don't go making blanket statements. My family paid the price in blood-first at 9/11 and then in both wars. This is not a time to be negative, oh teh stock market is down (um, yea, they announced a TON of layoffs today-noting Obama can say can rival numbers) and no one is saying, ok it will all be fixed. But to look at the positive, maybe there is change. Maybe we can all stop lookin to the past and look to the future.

January 20, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  24. man in the mirror

mj. I put it in small letters cause your small minded...America's moving forward.

January 20, 2009 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  25. Gloria - Minnesota

Very inspiring speech, President Obama!

God bless you and your family; God bless the Biden family!

January 20, 2009 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |