January 20th, 2009

Obama signs first presidential proclamation

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/20/sign.jpg caption="The president signed three documents soon after his swearing in Tuesday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - As his first official action after being sworn in, President Barack Obama signed three documents Tuesday, including a proclamation declaring a day of national renewal and reconciliation.

"I'm a lefty. Get used to it," Obama quipped as he signed his name. "I was told not to swipe the pen."

The past three presidents signed similar reconciliation proclamations upon being sworn in.

Also signed by Obama were Cabinet and sub-Cabinet nominations. Those nominations will be presented to the Senate when it meets at 3 p.m. Tuesday,
and are necessary before the full Senate can confirm the nominations, according
to Senate staff members.

Filed under: Inauguration
  1. STEVE R

he should sign my check...........

January 20, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. Steve

Obama is going to be a terrible president, and he will certainly reduce the USA to a 3rd world country. So get out the popcorn and watch the disaster begin – it should be hilarious!

January 20, 2009 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  3. Elizabbeth

The pettiness being written here isn't admirable, cute, funny, or valuable in the slightest. There were days before the war when antiwar folks had their lives threatened just for speaking up, but there's no plan to turn around and treat people so badly now that we have a new president and a vibrant sense of real relief. Those were frightening days, almost hard to recognize our country (the days of Freedom Fries and such), but this is a fresh beginning, and the small-minded comments being left here only reflect poorly on the people posting them. I hope it's just one miserable person posting under many aliases.

January 20, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

a few sad, sour people but they are rapidly fading into the past ... all noise and nothing constructive to say ...and soon forgotten ... the rest of America is moving on to the future.

as for those who ask "Where were you people when Bush needed your support…when our troops needed your support.?"

America was there: check Bush approval ratings at first ... then came the lies, ignoring BinForgotten and Afghanistan, invasion of Iraq for a whole list of ever changing reasons ... when America asked Bush what we could do ... Bush told us to "go shopping."

Supporting our troops? Always: The American public didn't send them to war ill-equipped for the war they were fighting: Americans were horrified to learn our military has to scrounge for parts to reinforce their hummers ... and appalled as we learned about Walter Reed and how veterans were and are treated.

Questioning the war is not questioning our troops: only the 24% Bush supporters think so ... better times for soldiers and vets are coming.

January 20, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. dennis

Hey anne marie lets see did jesus approve of abortions?

January 20, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  6. EVERYMAN

How about do something to get the stock market to turn around?

The OBAMA BUMP -300 POINTS ON THE DOW.

January 20, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. tiff of Lithia Springs

Wow Steve at 4:07,

Since you are in the same boat with everyone else, you may want to pray that your proclamation does not come true, Genius.

January 20, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. rose

BW...you're quoting the old testament....which condones genocide, incest, slavery, etc.

January 20, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  9. Greg, San Francisco, CA

To all the hateful commentators here I will simply quote our new President: "What the cynics fail to understand is that the ground has shifted beneath them – that the stale political arguments that have consumed us for so long no longer apply. "

January 20, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  10. csi

wow~ something bama and I have in common- were both lefties, so I guess he can't be all bad! LOL – ok for President Obama

I hope he does well, and that in four years I can say the same about him as he has bush " I like the man" I just dont agree with him on politics.
    May God bless him.

Thank-You President Bush and God Bless you and yours as well.

January 20, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  11. serah

To steve and those who think like him, i would say u need to renew the way u think as an individual. First of all we have no world called 3rd world we are all on PLANET EARTH fortunately. what we have is the so called "developed and developing" As of today the developed countries have hit a plateau while the developing continue to develop!!!!! where was China a few decades ago? where is it now? You need to think like an educated fellow not like a literate fellow. To Obama and the USA i say BRAVO for the far u have come, people like steve though America will remain stagnant in segregation, racism and arrogance. America has shown once more its moving forward in the right direction. I suppose some fear that this administration will try to revenge for what was done to those of African decent, I THINK IT IS UNLIKELY since president Obama has continued to press the idea of togetherness. Cheer up and take your responsibility as a person for the days you have on the PLANET EARTH. REMEMBER WE ALL BREATH THE SAME AIR EVEN IF WE ARE IN "1ST OR 3RD WORLD".

January 20, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Tamara

Watching President Obama become our nation's 44th President filled my heart with joy and has given me so much hope for our future as a nation and as a people. "E pluribus unum" is how I would phrase this historical day. The multitude of people in Washington & around the world reflect just that!

January 20, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  13. JohnL227

America is a Christian nation that practices tolerance and acceptance towards all faiths. If Barak were Muslim and wanted to take his oath on a Quaran, he would be allowed. If he were atheist and wanted to take the oath on a Washington Post sports section, he would be allowed. Get over the religious aspects. i don't think he's a miracle worker, but not giving him a reasonable chance isn't going to help. I am hopeing he does a good job, not for him, but for all Americans that need it most.

January 20, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  14. Luke Brown

Thank you, President Obama. Our long, eight-year-old, national nightmare is over.

Onward, America!

January 20, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  15. Stephen from WI

Dang, Obama ripped my retirement account today! Thanks alot!!! Really, nice one guy!

January 20, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  16. Vicki

After such a day as this, following the past eight years, it is difficult to imagine how some people hate Obama. Such people either have the IQ of a mongoose or they haven't watched events unfold during the Bush administration. To these people I say, please give him a chance! The rest of us put up with Bush for 8 years as he destroyed our profitable economy, our standing in the world and the unabashed and further degradation of our planet. Won't you now give peace a chance?

January 20, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  17. JohnL227

Let me make one correction: America is SUPPOSED to practice religious tolerance. It doesn't always seem to work out that way.

January 20, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  18. Proud School Teacher

Feeling very optimistic after this amazing historical event!

January 20, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  19. tiff of Lithia Springs

Bir,

Buddy our nation was founded on christian principals. Get a grip. The way this world has turned we could use more prayer. But our constitution protects all from having those principals shoved down their throats. I suggest that you go to your place of worship and pray where ever it maybe. Even if you are an atheist find a house of basic principalities and meditate.

January 20, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. Timber

Has he turned water into wine yet?

"Obama raises hand, lifts America" What??! He is NOT Jesus, stop trying to portray him as such. He has not achieved anything in his life. The media is pathetic.

January 20, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. Amber

Elizabbeth @ 4:09

"I hope it's just one miserable person posting under many aliases."

It would seem so. Those aliases all seem to make the same grammatical mistakes over and over.

January 20, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  22. john

Timber and the rest f you who are hating on Obama guest what he is the president of the USA so you can get over it it aint nothing that you can do to change that.

January 20, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  23. TomD

We do NOT NEED RELIGION in our government. If we did, whose religion would we choose? Talk about starting a holy war.

January 20, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  24. Russell

I can't believe all the negative comments! This is our country at work here, our democracy that has voted him in. I don't know why people think he's the magic pill that is going to make the country suddenly better, or on the other hand, oh no the world is now coming to an end. How foolish! No I didn't vote for him, but he's now my president and has my full support and in my daily prayers. I just pray that he also supports his statements of freedom to believe as I do as a fundamental christian and be allowed to worship without fear of severe pursecution as in other countries. And to be allowed to pursue the hobbies that I do in spite of most people around me not liking them. I just think how unpatriotic of people to try to bash our new leader. God bless you Obama and family!

January 20, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  25. Cissy

I did not vote for Obama, but will support him as the president. I have a bi-racial grandson, and I'm glad that perhaps he too will be judged by the content of his character, and not the color of his skin.

January 20, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |