January 26th, 2009

Limbaugh: Obama is 'frightened of me'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/01/26/art.rush0126.gi.jpg caption=" Conservative radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh responded Monday to recent reported comments by President Obama."]
(CNN) - Radio host Rush Limbaugh said Monday that President Obama is “frightened of me.”

“He’s obviously more frightened of me than he is [Senate Minority Leader] Mitch McConnell,” Limbaugh told listeners. “He’s more frightened of me, then he is of say, [House Minority Leader] John Boehner, which doesn’t say much about our party.”

Limbaugh’s comments followed reports Obama warned GOP congressional leaders last week that they should stop listening to the conservative talker, who had said on air he wanted the new president to fail.

"Now this is the great unifier," he told listeners Monday. "This is the man who's going to unify everybody and usher in a new era of bipartisanship and love."

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs gave reporters the administration's latest message to Limbaugh at Monday's press briefing: "Tell him I said, 'Hi,'" he joked.

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama • Rush Limbaugh
soundoff (2,847 Responses)
  1. FnSlwHnd

Are there really those who take this man seriously? He's a joke in the truest sende of the word. And his ego is enormous. Anyone who hopes for their country's leadership to fail is certainly not a patriot – no matter which side of the political aisle he falls on.

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  2. David

Rush is such a loser. He is the one afraid. He is afraid that Obama will be successful – Rush is afraid that the ultra-right wing of the GOP will fail and the GOP will go back to their old roots which will mean that Rush is no longer in demand and he won't be making the big bucks. No one is afraid of you Rush –

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  3. Drew

I don't get why anyone would "want" our president to fail. I voted for Obama, but if McCain had gotten in, I would certainly not want him to fail. A failed president is a symbol of a failing country (see: the last 8 years). This is just another example of this militant partisanship (which the left is just as guilty of) that will tear our country apart if left unchecked.

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  4. Melissa H.

Wow, old Rush is really quite impressed with himself. I suppose someone has to be......hes pretty irrelevant to the rest of us....in all honesty my first thought when I saw the article was...."isn't he dead?"

Ah well.....old gasbags never die....they just deflate in a symphony of self important, delusional, babble......

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  5. wanda from missouri

Give us a break! My grandma is not even scared of you. You do what you do to make your money and get media play. Your a legend in your own mind. Only time I even hear you is when you make cnn for some stupid remark.

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  6. Lydia

Rush Lam,

You need to sit down and shut up your Racist!!!! mouth!!! Your big mouth shows how much of an unhappy man you are!!!! Sorry!!!

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. Lynne

Oh Pleeeeze, I really do need R. Limbaugh to leave this planet. No one is afraid of him. Honestly!!!!

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  8. snugglebunny

Rush Limbaugh is still alive?

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  9. Brian in Michigan

I doubt if President Obama is frightened by this yahoo.

Republican Senator Chuck Hagel and former Secretary of Defense Colin Powell have also suggested that Americans quit listening to this windbag, and start paying attention to fixing this nation.

Rush Limbaugh never did anything for America. He never will.

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  10. Tired of Limbaugh

Remind me again why Limbaugh isn't in jail? This is not what our country needs now, we need to work together to fix the mess we are in. Limbaugh is a prime example of why I left the "Christian Right" controlled Republican party.

January 26, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  11. Steve

Is this guy for real? Why would Obama possibly be afraid of this blowhard? Anybody – conservative, liberal or otherwise – who wants the newly elected President to "fail" is, in my view, anti-American and not worthy of anybody's attention. By making these comments, Limbaugh proves only that he cares about himself and his partisan politics and that is never the sign of a smart leader. Given the chance, I'm quite confident that Obama would outsmart Limbaugh every day of the week.

12. The Lonely Libertarian of Liverpool NY

Scared of Rush? Who isn't, his extremist views scare any rational thinking American. Anyone who carves out a carreer based on promoting hate is someone to be afraid of. Rush is a facist and always will be, I will never listen to him.
    How this man can continue to be paid for his views is beyond me. But again he is an entertainer not a thinker, a comedian at best.

13. bruce morningstar

I would not put Limbaugh in the same party with McConnell and Boehner. He is a true Nazi and I do not think those leaders are. Everyone should be afraid of Limbaugh because he is an uneducated arrogant fool, and those are the people that have been the worst leaders in history. Anyone who believes anything Limbaugh says is at best a high school dropout or a lemming. Unfortunately, Limbaugh is one of the people that we have to hear if we are to protect our right of free speech. He has made one point though. All liberals should buy a gun to protect themselves from the narrow minded, uneducated right.

14. California Gold

Limbaugh is what happens when you are drug fortified and eat too many cupcakes. Fat and in a mental haze.

15. Michael in Tucson

Someone wipe his nose, will ya? Wittle Wushie hab a bad day.

16. kerm

Limbaugh has been marginalized, he is no longer important to any issue at any level and is a simple side show. More time on the treadmill, less drugs, and off the air would be advised.

17. Ann

Rush Limbaugh's an idiot.

18. Humored In Texas

Hey Rush,

Perhaps you would care to comment on the Oxycontin controversy surrounding you?

Or maybe.....you'd like to debate Obama in an open forum?! You will if you're foolish, and you're as foolish as they come, sir! Debate Constitutional Law with him, I dare you! And for real fun, try using facts instead of the usual "fiction not fact from Rush's Almanac" approach you usually employ!!!

Remember, you're the same guy who takes a stance on any position given to you by the hierarchy of the GOP, regardless of the actual impact it will have on anybody! You instruct your "Dittoheads" on what to say, think and act on based on a fueled level of prejudice unlike anything I've ever witnessed!

You clearly represent evrything that's wrong in this country, and unfortunately you have a lot of people that aren't smart enough to read through the nonsense that get their speaking points from you, too!!!

In a phrase, you're a disgrace!!!

19. N. Michael Hoghoughi

Not worthy of publication or airing. Like "professional wrestling," or "realty TV." Limbaugh's a self-aggrandizing moron. spare us next time. Please.

20. Bryan Lienesch

To the contrary, I don't think Obama wants to waste time on a biased, outspoken, and quite frankly, obnoxious talk show host that no matter what Obama says, he will take issue with. I think in this case the phrase "more frightened".
    The one thing Obama has tried to make clear is that he is more than willing to talk with men and women who disagree with him and his politics. Having that said, though, why would any incoming president talk to a radio show host that publicy said he hoped that that person would fail as a president.
    Considering he is a Democratic president in power with a Democratic senate (nearly fillibuster-proof) and a Democratic House, I think it takes an enormous individual to still want to reach across the aisle. But for such a spirit of compromise to work, there is just simply to place for any individual, liberal or conservative, who is more than willing to cling to his blind party loyalties to the end.

21. BunkieBandit

Limbaugh said, "I support the President, not his policies". Who all said, "I support the troops, not the war"? Same diffrence?

22. Scott

To clarify, Mr. Limbaugh never commented he wanted Obama to fail.
    Mr. Limbaugh said Obama's plans (hand-out) should fail!

I think the media needs be smarter than Mr. Limbaugh!

January 26, 2009 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  23. Todd (not the Alaska Separatist)

Rush, America just won the election. You lost. I feel your pain. Now it's time for you to take some more oxycontin.

24. sam

rush is ugly and an idiot

January 26, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  25. AARON BROWEN

WHAT A JERK!!

January 26, 2009 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114