January 27th, 2009

Palin launches political action committee

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/POLITICS/11/12/palin.future/art.palin.gi.jpg caption="SarahPac will allow Palin to travel nationwide to campaign for Republicans."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sarah Palin has launched a new political action committee called SarahPac, signaling that the Alaska Governor intends to remain a player in national politics even after her failed bid to become the country’s first female vice president.

"SarahPac will support local and national candidates who share Gov. Palin's ideas and goals for our country," says the PAC’s Web site, which promises that Palin will be "a strong voice for energy independence and reform."

A spokesperson for SarahPac confirmed that Palin is behind the group and said it was registered with the Federal Election Commission on Monday evening. The Web site went live on Tuesday morning and is already soliciting donations.

"The PAC is a smart thing to do because she’s getting so many speaking requests still, so if she gets a request from, say, Bob McDonnell in Virginia, she could do that travel out of her PAC money,” explained the spokesperson, noting that Palin has been in high demand from Republicans around the country since the campaign ended. In December, the governor traveled to Georgia to campaign for Republican Senate candidate Saxby Chambliss in that state's runoff election.

Palin posted a note on her Facebook page Tuesday afternoon promoting her new committee.

"Hi Friends, I wanted you all to be among the first to know that I've launched my new political action committee, SarahPAC, today," the post says, telling supporters to "stay tuned for updates."

The domain name "SarahPac.com" was registered on January 2 to Campaign Solutions, a Web consulting firm in northern Virginia with longstanding ties to John McCain, which processed online donations for the McCain campaign and the Republican National Committee in 2008. The URL is set to expire in 2012, according to online records.

Rebecca Donatelli, the chairman of Campaign Solutions, confirmed her company is working for the group.

Calls to a Palin adviser in Alaska were not immediately returned.

UPDATE: According to a copy the FEC filing, SarahPac's statement of organization was filed by Virginia political consultant Timothy Crawford, who is listed on the paperwork as the group's treasurer. Reached by phone, Crawford told CNN he plans to sit down in the coming weeks with Palin to discuss her plans for the committee.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Phil Aceo

isn't her 15 min up yet?

January 27, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. mark

This is actually a ggo thing for the republican party. Sarah Palin stands for eveything which lost them the election. By staying in view she reminds the party what they need to ditch do to win in 2016.

January 27, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. Judy Miami Fl

your kidding , right?

January 27, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  4. Elsie

LOL come on is this for real? "SaraPac" Seriously?

I mean I admired her and all but this woman needs to be take a break (more like give us a break!)

January 27, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  5. wow....

they just don't stop....idiots unite!!! SarahPac should Hire Pacman jones to do PR. Bunch of dummies.

January 27, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. Aldo in Indiana

(sigh) And so it begins: Presidential Campaign 2012.

Obama please put her out of our misery quick!

January 27, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. R FROM PA

This is a good thing for Sarah. She can speak around the country and get a feel for what the public wants before actually deciding if she will run in 2012.

January 27, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  8. J. Wagner

This is great for the Democrats. The more someone like Palin, who is so out of her league, remains a major player in the Republican party, the better it is for them. I think she will lose badly in the Republican primary in 2012. But if she is somehow able win the nomination, that is the best thing that can happen to Obama and the Dems. Go Palin!

January 27, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. Brandon

Please donate to SarahPac. I so want her to represent the Republican Party. I'm a progressive and am making a donation. This way "conservatives" can be in a continuing minority and the rest of us can accomplish something, don't ya know.

January 27, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  10. Mont

GO AWAY!!!!!!! NO ONE GIVES A FLYING LEAP!!!!!!!

January 27, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  11. Eric

Sweet! Chum for the liberals.... lets watch angry elitists with little political education bark and foam at the mouth at the mention of Palin's name!

January 27, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  12. gg

what a scam

January 27, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  13. Patrick Vialpando

Go away.....Please just go away!!

January 27, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. Danny

GO AWAY!

January 27, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. AbetterUSA

She is laying the ground work for 2012 with this one!!! What I don't understand is exactly what is the republican's message? What are their beliefs and how/why are they the best way for America? It seems that republican principles are not inclusive to the make-up of the good ole U.S. of A. I am not being sarcastic with this list, but he is my list of what I percieve to be republican principles: lower taxes, tax breaks for corporations, politically religious =)) minorities don't matter because they have no clout, a big bag of symantic tricks, play the game to win no matter who or what is hurt during the game. The republicans I've listened to always have the best stock of labels to use to describe a situation: liberal media, goddless left, anti-American, marxist, socialist, empty suit, etc.... If you are recruiting please give me something more to work with please.

January 27, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  16. A-Man

I honestly have never despised anyone, especially someone I never met, but this girl I absolutely hate. Makes me want to puke!

January 27, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  17. J. Wagner

January 27, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  18. Linda K.

Why can't this woman just take care of her family and the job she was elected to do? If I had her health I would be able to do so much work for others. But Sarah is all for Sarah, and I am sick of her.

January 27, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  19. dallas female

please, she's not smart enough to think of this on her own.
    i wonder who is pulling her strings now.

January 27, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  20. Dan

Ick.

We have McCain to thank for unleashing this person on American. Thanks, John John.

January 27, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. Crystal

Why won't this woman catch the hint. We voted not for McCain because OF HER! The only people she will attract is the racist religious nuts. This woman is an insult to all women.

January 27, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  22. andy

what is she to dumb to realize politics is trending away from PACs, earmarks etc? Obama took $0 from PACs for his election, and that's going to be the future, not a one time fluke.

Of course I bet she will come out strongly against PACs in 2012 if she runs (just a little bit more strongly against them then her opponent), regardless of her actual feelings. Such is the nature of Republicans... sigh.

January 27, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. AbetterUSA

January 27, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  24. ???

I can just hear all of you boo'ers now but that's okay, you keep on booing and she will keep coming back! C'mon Sarah girl, get 'em going!!!!

January 27, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  25. Karim Pakravan

You mean she can find enough people as ignorant and uninterested/uninteresting and uninformed as she is? Who is her nb 2 guy? Joe the Plumber?

January 27, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |