February 2nd, 2009

Who has Obama's e-mail address?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/02/02/art.bb.gi.jpg caption="Obama is staying mum on who has his e-mail address."]
(CNN) - He's the first commander-in-chief to carry a BlackBerry-like device — but that doesn’t mean he’s reachable. President Obama is staying mum on the identity of the privileged few who’ve been given his new e-mail address.

In an interview with NBC Sunday, the president said only a "handful" of people are able to contact him through the super-secure device.

Earlier: Obama's 'spy-proof smartphone'

"Look, there are security issues involved," Obama said. "And so we’ve gotta make sure that I’m not - creating a situation where - you know, potential people can compromise our [security].

Obama also suggested the list does not include any world leaders.

"Typically, world leaders are going to be contacting me through the Oval Office. They know how to reach me there," he said.

The exclusive list of those who have the president's e-mail address reportedly includes a small group of senior aides and cabinet officials. According to a report in the New York Times, security precautions make it impossible to forward an e-mail from the president, or to send the president attachments.

Watch: The secret side of Obama's BlackBerry

It's also likely Obama's e-mail address will change frequently to ensure it remains secure.

Speaking Saturday in front of the Alfalfa Club Dinner - an annual event attended by the country's political elite - Obama joked about the ultra-limited access to president’s inbox.

"It's a very exclusive list. How exclusive? Everyone look at the person sitting on your left. Now look at the person sitting on your right. None of you have my e-mail address."

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Noah

Where is the news story reporting that Obama has had some level of contact with Iran and Syria for months now?? Iran just said this weekend that Obama's reching out to them is a sign of America's weakness. Iran's crazy president even demanded an apology from the U.S. Obama is so utterly naiive if he thought he could really reach out to that terrorist regime and solve our problems diplomatically. Obama is making our country look weak but that is exactly what Liberals want. A weak U.S. with a weak military so that we don't appear to be bullies. Liberals are naiive like Obama

February 2, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  2. Anthony

Okay, children. Enough bickering. Use your energy to uplift and motivate one another. This is AMERICA. A country that belongs to us all. No one should be exempt from fairness and the right to be who they are. Give the HATE a rest, already.

February 2, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. J.P.

Sorry folks, but senior management at ANY company, let alone the President of the USA, is simply TOO BUSY to be diddling with email and computers all day.

They are paid to MAKE DECISIONS and LEAD, not diddle in the Microsoft Office Suite all day.

That's what support staff lackies are for.

If you've got ANY SENIOR MANAGEMENT at a company fooling with a desktop computer or even worse, email, you're seriously wasting the resource you're paying big money for. Point blank, hire a secretary to diddle with email.

February 2, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. Secrecy

And no transparency?

February 2, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  5. Matt

@ DJ

No, Bush did NOT have a Blackberry-like device. What he had was called a "Speak & Spell."

February 2, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. Big Ed

Hey Shakir,

Put down the pipe! Cheney shot his friend in the face, Bush ducked out of National Gusrd service, Scooter was indicted (along with several other Republicans: Remember Abrahmoff?), there is the Idaho Republican that was soliciting sex in the airport, oh that's right he changed his mind and what about the nutjob running around texting his nastiness to young male pages? I won't even get into Drug , I mean Rush Limbaugh, Billo-The -Clown and Ann "I Can Never Seem To Get My Facts Right" Coulter.

You better watch what you e-mail..."W" still has his spies watching everyone. I remember, once apon a time there was this piece of paper called the Constiution of the United States...that's right, you only refer to that when it suits your purpose.

February 2, 2009 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. uddin

OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA is the best America will ever get....
    He is good luck for America....

February 2, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  8. Ryan G

This is news becauuuuse? Don't you have better things to report on? Like the contents of the 800 Billion dollar stimulus package so that Americans know what's going through Congress?

February 2, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  9. Scarlett Johansson

Sylvia,

The Secret Service gave the OK on me getting the email address, but Michelle vetoed the idea. 🙁

Scarlett

February 2, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  10. Frank, Las Vegas

I want it, I want it!!

February 2, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  11. Paul from NYC

Matt February 2nd, 2009 10:42 am ET
    GOPer blabbering about Wright, Ayers, Bin Laden, etc., in 3…2…1….

Matt you win. These crybabies are too predictable/

February 2, 2009 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  12. Slappy White

Matt Lauer is an airhead.

February 2, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  13. Marilyn

What is the big deal about his email address and blackberry? I am pretty positive that previous presidents have their own but not as well talked about. He can't be the most advanced president when it comes to technology. He is taking advantage of it because it is faster and that he can get access to it anytime because of his blackberry. This should not be the discussion, people and blaming the republicans about it is totally uncalled for. Of course, he is the first black(not really because he is bi-racial) doesnt mean he is the one invented the technology. There are other things that american people need to think about like being grateful for what you have and not complain, complain and complain. I am an american citizen and grateful that I am able to talked to my children about things that matters most.

February 2, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  14. TCM

Obama's childishness about his blackberry and email shows his lack of leadership, and will make him a threat to national security. Without doubt, he or one of the other stooges up there will email something sensitive.....and it will be picked up by hackers....if it's wireless...it can be retrieved.
    Hopefully the msg intercepted will be something good, like the bank account numbers where the deposit Gov Blag's hush money....

February 2, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  15. arc, Lugano CH

No Hillary = No Obama February 2nd, 2009 12:33 pm ET
    The terrorists probably have it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Oh Dear. Tickets please for the matinee of "Bride Wars"!

Before you jot down funny quips, consider first what Hillary would think of your post. Oh Dear.

You better logoff, or you'll miss the movie. Oh Dear.

February 2, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  16. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I'd love to have that e-mail address. Could you imagine the influence? I wonder how much trouble people could get in if that address was spammed?

February 2, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  17. vincent - phoenix

But I'll be these are the people who have Bush's email address

Jeff Gannon
    Ted Haggerty
    Duke Dunningham
    Ted Stevens
    Indicted former Texas Congressman Tom Delay
    Jack Abramhoff
    Ken Lay
    EVERY CEO IN THE COUNTRY

February 2, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  18. Lester Tavens

If I could talk to the President, I would tell him not to appoint Tom Daschle to any post. It's not because of only the tax ploblem, but because of the money he has been earning from Medical Insurance Firms and othe related Organization. It is insider that we don't need to work on a Health Plan for the American people who voted for you. Please keep up to you commitment to keep lobbists out of "Your Cabinet". Thank you Mr. President of the People.

February 2, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  19. LNM

let President Barack H. Obama be! for you haters... get over it, once and for all. oxxi!

February 2, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  20. Prof. X

Hmm, I'm sure this won't get posted but...... have you ever noticed that the articles about republicans are open linger then the ones about dems? For example, the one about Tom Daschule (or whatever his name is) had 34 comments and the one about McCain had over 400. I know that most bloggers on CNN are libs, but this is kinds out of balance. Another example, every time there is an article about Palin, there are like 500 negative posts, but every time there is ANOTHER article about a member of the cabinet ( I call it the HOPE CHEST) not paying their taxes it closes in about 10 minutes. Weird

February 2, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  21. TCM

@ MATT – are you normally this ignornant of technology, or is today just a fluke?

February 2, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  22. Francis, IL

He's so cute. I love having him as my president and hope his plans for the country work out. I'm so happy America voted for him, well most Americans anyway.

Go Obama, we love you.

February 2, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. Jim

I'd imagine the leaders of Iran, Pakistan, Wright, Rezko, Ayers, ACORN and others have email access to him. I'm sure Israel is blocked out in the junk filter. Lied about putting lobbyists in his cabinet; keeps appointing tax criminals to senior positions (crap, we don't need a stimulus bill, just get congress to pay their taxes the way we have to!), is going to kill our military, said meet with Iran and others with no preconditions, so now they've placed preconditions on talking to Nobama, Good Grief!!! Is he just way too inexperienced to be a president or does he really intend to kill our country???

February 2, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  24. Beverly, NH

I'm glad he got to keep his blackberry, but I do think the president should not use it while he's walking. I think he looks disengaged. Also there is a security risk, he needs to be aware of activities around him. I want him to run in 2012, and I want him safe and sound.

Kudos for keeping the blackberry, but keep your head up Mr. Prez.

February 2, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  25. John

Other than providing fodder for moronic commentary by right wingers, why is Obama's email address relevant?

At least Obama knows what email is (unlike grandpa McCain).

February 2, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |