February 17th, 2009

Abstinence 'is not realistic,' Palin's daughter says

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/02/17/artpalinjohnston.gi.jpg caption="Palin says she and Johnston still plan to wed."]

(CNN) – In her first interview since giving birth to son Tripp, Bristol Palin, daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, said it’s not “realistic” to expect abstinence outside of marriage.

Watch: Bristol Palin breaks her silence

“Everyone should be abstinent . . . but it’s not realistic at all,” the 18-year-old told Fox’s Greta Van Susteren, adding that having sex as a teenager had become “more and more accepted now” among people her age.

The new mother, who gave birth to Gov. Palin’s first grandchild late last year, said her decision to go forward with an unplanned pregnancy was entirely her own.

“It was my choice to have the baby,” she said, in an interview that aired Monday night. “It doesn’t matter what my mom’s views are on it. It was my decision and I wish people would realize that too.”

Bristol Palin said she would eventually like marry Levi Johnston, her newborn son’s father. But they’ve “been focusing though on just getting through school and getting an education and stuff – getting a career going,” Palin said.

Palin said she was “excited to be a mom” and described her 2-month-old son Tripp as “awesome” and “very, very, very cute,” but said that other teenagers should not follow in her footsteps.

“I think everyone should just wait 10 years,” Palin said. Being a teenage mother “is not glamorous at all . . . your whole priorities change after having a baby.”

Full story

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. Diane

There is a video of Bristol speaking on CNN as well. How come Bristol doesn't have that whacked-out accent that Sarah has? Weird.

Of course abstinence is not going to work. They don't call it a sex DRIVE for nothing.

God gave us brains too, so use them and use birth control!

February 17, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  2. Accountability

That's just the point-she excercised a CHOICE. She should explain that to her mother and the other Christo-Fascists in the Republican Party

February 17, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  3. steve22

what a crock! they're never going to get married....

February 17, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  4. bill

of course. She is a teenager. This is not news. Mimi, I am listening. Dems should be paying attention to my state (Illinois) which the dems are set to lose because the dems in this state are taking too long to clean up.

February 17, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  5. PalinFan

Nick February 17th, 2009 11:53 am ET

In spite of some of the comments here, I think Bristol, sounds alitle more realistic than her mom, and alot more intelligent. I bet she grows up to be a democrate.

HA HA HA HA!!!! Good one!!!!

February 17, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. joey from san diego

Of course abstinence is stupid. Its natural for human beings to have sex. Just wear protection and you wont end up like failin pailin here.

February 17, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. affrodite.net

@Duane in Philly- Kudos to you for being the first comment bringing the real issue to light here. It's about SAFE SEX. Abstinence is a personal and/or religious choice, but if you choose to have sex and know you are not ready for raising a child then you need to take steps to protect yourself from pregnancy and STDs. I'm not playing holier than thou, I don't think anyone who's had sex can do that, but even I would have benefited from more open dialog about practicing safe sex. I'm definitely a proponent of sex education as early as they can offer it, from an age appropriate perspective.

February 17, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. Cruzan Obama Mama

For all the Repubs saying we should leave Palin's family alone....she is the one who used them as human props, don't forget that. To be left alone, you have to get out of the spotlight. Sarah Palin thinks everything is about her and then do not want to take responsibility when she comes off like a fool, which she most certainly is.

This interview was supposed to be about Bristol...how did she end up in the interview being a spectacle? Even Greta stated that she was expecting a different grandmother, make note of that Repubs. It is your precious Sarah Palin that is putting herself & her family out there to be criticized. Think about it.

February 17, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  9. petena

Of course absitence does not work. Duh! Just look at Sarah Palin continuing to have babies at her age.

February 17, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  10. kevin

Too bad Bristol's grandmother didn't practise birth control

February 17, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  11. Beverly, NYC

So I guess the spring wedding is off? What would the the religious conservatives say to make this ok?

February 17, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  12. Robin in SC

I'd rather see interviews with Bristol than with Sarah...at least she makes sense and has a handle on reality. I sure hope her Mom is listening to her!

February 17, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  13. Shocking

People need to practice what they preach. Someone should ask Sarah if she was a virgin when she got married. I doubt it.

Mrs. Palin is a joke. I hope the RNC puts all there limited resources into her. It will set them back another 10 years. Dole, Bush, Mccain, and now Palin?? Wow....

February 17, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  14. TX

To California Kid:

We "democrats / liberals / whatever else you want to call us" have been taking your conservative / GOP / repulican crap for the past 8 long horrific years – GET USE TO IT!!!

February 17, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  15. John the DJ

I've seen some posts about abstinence that I think people get wrong here... what I think Bristol is trying to say here is that sure, she's a right-wing Christian and Sarah Palin's daughter, so she's going to advocate abstinence, but she has come to the realization that teens are less likely to listen to abstinence-only sex education and will most likely go ahead and have sex anyway; something her mother has failed to realize.

Also, if you watched the video, Sarah Palin seems like an unwelcome guest on Van Susteren, trying to take some camera time and not really helping out her daughter.

What she and her mother do seem to agree on though is baby names; I mean, really... Tripp? That kid's gonna be referred to as Acid Tripp all through high school and college.

February 17, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  16. Caleb

Dear california kid,
    Us Democrats will stop bashing republicans when they stop giving us something to bash them for!!!

February 17, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  17. Mike

Education and stuff!!!!

I will not let White America elect another dummy like Bush!!

You all need to have higher standards!!

February 17, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  18. Matthew in Oregon

Abstinence education is naive and silly and women have a CHOICE? I guess she's running for the Democratic VP slot in 4 years. Her mom could learn something.

February 17, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  19. dj

at least she didnt perform infanticide. and although she's brainwashed no one can beat bush and her moms stupidity. well maybe...

February 17, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. T the B

Finally a Palin who doesn't have her head stuck in the sand.

February 17, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. Pat, CA

Debbie February 17th, 2009 12:21 pm ET

Try keeping your OWN house in order, "Debbie."

February 17, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  22. WI Cheesehead

There you've heard it from the horse's mouth all of you conservative nut jobs. If we lived in utopia abstinence would work just fine and we won’t need sex education but we live in the real world that has many challenges. So ever so slowly to avoid whiplash, get your heads out of the sand and deal with the realities of this sinful world of ours.

February 17, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. Darin

Wow, now she's giving advice to people because she's so wise, right? And oh, she has no plans to get married either – I guess she's just not ready for that!

Ha, ha, this makes me LAUGH, and I find the whole thing ironic, especially since her mother advocates abstinence only education. The Palin's are a bunch of morons!

February 17, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. Pat

Part of the problem is the entertainment industry. Movies, soap operas, tv series, all parade it in front of everyone. Children are raised by TV and video games. Not that this story has anything to do with gun control, there is a parallel here. People that want strict gun control ought to also fight the video games and entertainment industries – I believe that has a lot of influence in what people do as well.

February 17, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. Rene

Didn't I hear somewhere that Sara's oldest son was born a few months (less than nine) AFTER she was married? Am I wrong?

February 17, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |