February 17th, 2009

Abstinence 'is not realistic,' Palin's daughter says

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/02/17/artpalinjohnston.gi.jpg caption="Palin says she and Johnston still plan to wed."]

(CNN) – In her first interview since giving birth to son Tripp, Bristol Palin, daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, said it’s not “realistic” to expect abstinence outside of marriage.

Watch: Bristol Palin breaks her silence

“Everyone should be abstinent . . . but it’s not realistic at all,” the 18-year-old told Fox’s Greta Van Susteren, adding that having sex as a teenager had become “more and more accepted now” among people her age.

The new mother, who gave birth to Gov. Palin’s first grandchild late last year, said her decision to go forward with an unplanned pregnancy was entirely her own.

“It was my choice to have the baby,” she said, in an interview that aired Monday night. “It doesn’t matter what my mom’s views are on it. It was my decision and I wish people would realize that too.”

Bristol Palin said she would eventually like marry Levi Johnston, her newborn son’s father. But they’ve “been focusing though on just getting through school and getting an education and stuff – getting a career going,” Palin said.

Palin said she was “excited to be a mom” and described her 2-month-old son Tripp as “awesome” and “very, very, very cute,” but said that other teenagers should not follow in her footsteps.

“I think everyone should just wait 10 years,” Palin said. Being a teenage mother “is not glamorous at all . . . your whole priorities change after having a baby.”

Full story

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. Baze

What a spectacle. The Palins should appear on reality TV and/or the Simpsons, and Sarah should pose for Playboy

February 17, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. CATINA

I THINK BRISTOL PALIN IS VERY SMART AND HER MOTHER LOVES VERY MUCH.

February 17, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  3. franciefranklin

Come on, what a set up. Her Mother (Sarah Palin) didn't know about the interview??? It looks like SP is up to using her kids to get political advantage yet again. Why won't this insipid woman just go away already. We cancelled our Alaska cruise vacation just because I don't what to think about SP while trying to relax and enjoy my holiday.

February 17, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  4. Mary

Teaching abstinence as sex ed is nothing more than wishful thinking. "Just say no" didn't work for drugs and it's even less effective for sex. Complete education is the key to preventing unwanted pregnancies.

Abstinence can be taught as part of sex ed training, in conjunction with information on birth control but it shouldn't be exclusive – it's just not effective. Women should have a choice.

February 17, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  5. Randy from MD

I would have to agree. Let's face it, when women get well into their 20's they start to go downhill fast. Have to catch them at 18 and 19, 20 to 23 maybe.

February 17, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  6. ch

Makes you appreciate Chelsea Clinton and the great job that Bill and Hillary Clinton did raising her.

Chelsea is poised, smart, educated (Masters Degree from Oxford).

Maybe the Clintons could teach the Reagans, Bush's and Palins a thing or two about raising functional children!

February 17, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  7. Toby in Illinois

Ah, the Political Ticker. Now, how is this breaking political news? Oh, of course: There aren't any runaway brides.

February 17, 2009 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  8. James from Chicago

I think her intentions where good to come on national TV and talk about the realities of where she is right now. But the apple does not fall far from the tree....Bristol goes on Good Morning America this morning and her closing statement was "I want to be an advocate for teen pregnancy". The Palin family needs some help with the english lanquage. I speak a little Palin, allow me to translate...what she meant to say is that she would like to be an advocate for Teens to keep from becoming pregnant..

February 17, 2009 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  9. jeffy

And for some reason we care about what she has to say?

February 17, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  10. California Gold

Abstinence is not realistic. Abstinence is not sensible. Neither is this girl's mother. None of this is newsworthy.

February 17, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  11. Jim

When the Lord is removed from the forefront, the devil will have his way. Families have focused on having this, having that, having all the fancy things life has to offer, instead of focusing on raising children as they should be raised, teaching them the ways of the Lord. WE have come to ACCEPT

February 17, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  12. Angelique

She's as disgusting as octo-mom, and I think it's tragic that other teenagers will see this and take it to heart.

I was teenage mother. I went through hell taking care of a baby when I was a child myself. Things turned out ok for the two of us - but God knows, it doesn't turn out all right for most.

I didn't have what my child needed. And I didn't get what I needed, either - a chance to mature at a normal rate, to grow and learn and plan and have some kind of life for myself, as well. What did I have to give him that was worthwhile - not just my love - which goes without saying - but I could have done so much better by him, had I had the good sense to wait.

Now, I'm in my 60s, and I look back and see how much of my life was wasted, and how much potential just fell away all those years.

February 17, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. Jackson, Seattle

Seems to me, if they had focused on their education and careers in the first place, they might not be parents.

Did anyone explain to her that her mom's expression was "drill baby drill", and not "get drilled, baby, get drilled"?

Can't wait to see the spin the GOP tries to put on this, as the children of one of their annointed basically shoots down some of the basic tenets of her mom's base.

February 17, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  14. Daniel

@Obama Victim
    So you hate Obama but like Palin? Of course. Typical Republican idiocy.

February 17, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  15. Jackson, Seattle

Can't wait to see the spin the GOP tries to put on this, as the child of one of their annointed basically shoots down some of the basic tenets of her mom's base.

February 17, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  16. Jackson, Seattle

February 17, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  17. COUNTRY FIRST

Beautiful Couple.

February 17, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  18. Matt

So apparently Palin's daughter is pretty much of the opinion that public awareness and protection are better policies than abstinence? Why does it not surprise me that this is exactly the type of thing that Republican lawmakers rail against?

February 17, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  19. frank burns

Why do all the pics today show Bristol holding Trig, instead of Tripp. When do we get a photo of Tripp?

February 17, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  20. Angie in Pa

Dont tell us Bristol tell your airheaded Mother!

February 17, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  21. stag

Almost correct. Abstenance is possible with a reasonable set of morals. On the other hand, all the loose gals makes for a fun weekend.

February 17, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  22. Bruce

Ed,
    Not much worry about Bristol being on the welfare dole.
    Levi is employed in the oil fields, like Bristol's father.
    Besides, as an Alaska resident of legal age, she probably gets the $1000+ stipend paid to her as well.
    Something to ponder as you are watching the $$$ whiz by at the gas pump.

February 17, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  23. Jackson, Seattle

February 17, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  24. obama-mama

I'm just happy that she and Levi intend to finish school and pursue a career. It is hard these days to teach your children about abstinence because of peer pressure. I don't care how strict a family is a child will stray away from morals they are taught just to fit in. The important thing is that she will continue and finish her education because it is hard to raise children both financially and emotionally.....Good for you Bristol

February 17, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |