February 23rd, 2009

DCCC targets 12 Republicans on stimulus

Rep. Adam Putnam, R-Florida, is among the House Republicans the DCCC is targeting.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - A dozen House Republicans are targeted in a new House Democratic political campaign that criticizes the GOP lawmakers for opposing the $787 billion stimulus package.

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee will contact voters this week by telephone with a recorded message saying that their Republican congressman voted “against the largest tax cut in history,” and against a stimulus bill that the business friendly U.S. Chamber of Commerce supported.

The campaign also includes “emails and text messages directly to targeted Republicans’ constituents,” a DCCC official tells CNN. House Democrats have also created a Web site to explain how they believe the stimulus bill will affect individual congressional districts.

Only three congressional Republicans, all senators, voted for the final passage of the stimulus bill.

Full list of Republicans targeted after the jump

The House Republicans targeted in this new Democratic campaign include:

Rep. Thad McCotter of Michigan

Rep. Adam Putnam of Florida

Rep. Dave Reichert of Washington

Rep. Pete Sessions of Texas

Filed under: DCCC
  1. Alicia

Whew! I am in Pennsylvania where the public servants, Governor Rendell (Democrat) and Senator Specter (Republican), serve Pennsylvanians. Both want America to succeed and are not obsessed with political careers.

I like to listen to both sides to see what the reasons are. This time the Republicans are just plain sad. No options, no credibility after the past eight years they could have handled things and blatant falsehoods. They simply come across and rehearsed talking points.

I watched Meet the Press, Governor Jindal merely ran his mouth with a carbon copy of the Republican sour grapes cry.

February 23, 2009 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  2. texas teacher

ooops... my computer froze up... I had no idea that both posts would make it through.... my apologizes 🙂

February 23, 2009 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  3. Barry

Hurrah for the DCCC – my congressman (Reichert, R-WA) is on the list. He represents what is now a swing district. Hopefully we will retire him in 2010.

February 23, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  4. Vietnam COMBAT Vet, OHIO

Repugs sure are ibnorant!!!!!!!!

February 23, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  5. Kevin in Ohio

Thank GOD my representative voted against this bill! It is nothing but pork. To call it the "largest tax cut in history" is nothing short of a an outright LIE to the American people. But I've gotten accustomed to liberals lying.......

February 23, 2009 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  6. Jenn

Are they also going to target the 11 Democrats who didn't vote for the stimulus? Somehow I don't think so.

February 23, 2009 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  7. southerncousin

Oh please bring it. Has anyone noticed that the states in the most trouble are also the states with the highest tax rates and the ones that are most heavily unionized in the private and public sectors?

February 23, 2009 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  8. Rick from Murfreesboro, TN

The Republicans insist that they have a better idea on how to turn around the economy than the Democrats. However, their incompetence and greed are what got us in this mess. If they have better ideas how come they haven't put them forward anytime over the last eight years. The mess in the economy had been coming ever since Ronald Reagan piled up massive deficits by perpretrating the fraud of supply side economics and his removal of Federal oversights and controls which were needed to keep our economy in line. His failures as a president and leader have led to the conditions we are now facing. George I and George II have only made matters worse by their incompetence. The conservatives complain about tax and spend Democrats but that is better than being borrow and spend Republicans. At least the Democrats try to pay for their programs while the Republicans just want to write bad checks and run up huge deficits.

February 23, 2009 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  9. David Sinkovich

I am very glad the republicans voted against the package.
    I cannot believe that our elected officials voted on a package that was not read.
    It would be like buying house without going inside and then find out someone filled the place up with garbage.
    They could have taken the time to read and understand what they were voting on, besides the word stimulus.
    From what I understand and know this package is going to nothing for the economy for several years.
    I guess these people thought it wise to follow what some else said rather than use thier own brain.
    So I guess nothing has changed in Washington except who is in charge.

February 23, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  10. lovable liberal

Republicans will now whine, "I didn't know there would be consequences for me for being irresponsible. It's not fair. There have never been consequences for me before. Someone should have warned me."

Personal responsibility, my ...

February 23, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  11. David Sinkovich

I am very glad the republicans voted against the package.
    So I guess nothing has changed in Washington except who is in charge.

February 23, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  12. markens

dccc, attack them because those people have no heart. they want to pile up our taxes dollars for wars and do nothing to help people in this country. i pay taxes but i want to see that they re being used in roads and health care not for wars. the conservatives thoughts are not good for America.

February 23, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  13. Constitutional Lawyer

The few brave individuals are not the only ones that had the backbone, sanity, and intelligence to recognize the long-term negatuve implications of a spending bill, such as this. It may have a large tax cut (certaintly not the largest, when adjusted for inflation), but the remaining portion of the bill that makes up over 3/4 spending, negatively outweighs any so-called benefit of this massive spending bill and paces long-term hooks in the individua states that wil cause the long-term cost to more than triple. Stimulus is the antithesis of spending and this bill certainly is not Stimulus. Spending by any other name is still spending.

February 23, 2009 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  14. Dawn

I am a Pennsylvanian, Sen. Spector is my Senator. He also knows that our roads are in terrible condition. Plus in Philly there is trouble, it is open season on Philly policemen. The last police officer is a 25 years old, he and his wife are expecting their first child. Now the arsonist hit school buses near Coatsville, PA.

I believe that we all need help, Pennsylvania as well as the rest of the 49 States are in deep trouble.

I could get in trouble with NRA memebers who believe in the 2nd Admendment. I think there should be gun control, due to what I had said above.

I read in our paper all of the Foreclosers in Berks County. People wanted to live the American dream, by having a home, with a two car garage, 2.5 kids and both parents working to make ends meet. All of a sudden these American who bought a home within there means and lost their jobs due to the economy. Don't you think that they would like to be helped to restructure their mortgage, and Bush rewrote the bankruptcy laws where the average American would have a hard time to get it, but the huge Corperations could get it at the snap of a finger. In my area, there is three Attorney's who does this.

I read that Stimulus and if you read it you would understand and I would love to welcome the United States of America....Welcome to the 21st Century....

February 23, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  15. Jeff Brown

Good, keep up the attack!

February 23, 2009 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  16. Jeff Brown

Please add Rodney Frelinhuysen from NJ. This dinosaur HAS to go!!!!!

February 23, 2009 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  17. Constitutional Lawyer

Y

February 23, 2009 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  18. John K

OK, let me get this straight: Bi-Partizanship by Democrat definition now means "You will vote with us OR WE WILL NOT ONLY OUT-VOTE YOU, WE WILL WORK TO GET YOU OUT OF THE SEAT YOUR CONSTITUENTS SAY YOU SHOULD HAVE."

I believe this tactic has been used before in politics. Then, they were called brown-shirts. Now, they are the DCCC. This isn't politics anymore, it is thuggery.

In short: a democratic congress and white house is nothing but a collection of goons and sore winners. How is this healthy for the country?

February 23, 2009 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  19. Jim in Fllorida

CNN's latest "poll" shows 3 of 4 Americans "scared" of the direction we are taking.

Let's see, our Federal Government is throwing billions of dollars out the window. Obama surrounds himself with people who have cheated or will cheat the taxman. Corruption is the cornerstone of the politics of Inninois, where many of the slugs that work for Obama hail from.

Obama uses the word crisis and catastrophe in every other sentence as he continues to run for President (sshhhh....Obama, you won, you are the President, now act like one)

and CNN poll shows people are scared.

What a shocking result.

Obama, give the masses bread and circuses, bread and circuses, its what they want. "Worked" in the old Soviet Union, fo a while.

February 23, 2009 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  20. Jim in Fllorida

13 GOP Reps who had the moral courage to do the right thing. Thanks for th elist. Think I will send them all a campaign contribution.

February 23, 2009 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  21. Mark

Just because someone doesnt rubber stamp this ridiculous stimulus package doesnt make the partisan or racist for the matter!

February 23, 2009 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  22. Watcher

I'm a democrat and even I opposed this bill. Not to say the longterm programs don't merit funding, but this stimulus thing is supposed to work as a shot in the arm for the economy RIGHT NOW not in 2013! Out of panic that we need to pass something right away we've been cornered into footing the bill for a lot of spending (about a third of the bill even by Democratic estimates) that won't yield benefits for years.

February 23, 2009 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  23. Larry

am so proud to be a Republican,I can boast that not one Republian voted to :
    Cut off all items for Veterans Affairs,and those were reduced and the $2 billion the Senate wanted for VA construction was wiped out altogether.

Military construction: Cut and put into a general pot, a change from targeted money for each branch of the services. Army construction alone went from $600 million in the Senate and $900 million in the House to $180 million in the final bill. But negotiators compromised over a general military construction fund - the House wanted $3.75 billion while the Senate allocated $118 million and settled on $1.45 billion for all services.

On the other side of the aile the Democrats priorities:

**4 billion for ACORN (A PAID extension of the Democratic Party involved in voter FRAUD)

**the bill includes $30 million for wetlands restoration that the Obama administration will then use to restore MOUSE habitat in the bay.(most people try to get rid of MICE)

**250 million dollars for Pelosi's(a Catholic) CONDOMS (that's a lot of condoms, Nancy)

**Thanks to a sleazy back-room deal between Barack Obama and Harry Reid, the city least in need of government bailouts will get a $8 billion pork project for a train from Disneyland to Las Vagas in the final version of Porkulus. Now Southern California residents can have another way to lose their money, and we can all pay for the ride:

If Obama is really looking ahead ,he will realize his daughters children (his grandchildren)will still be paying taxes on this bill.That’s his legacy.WOW

February 23, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  24. Sniffit

@ southerncousin

That's just misdirection. The auto-industry in MI, for example, is not close to failing because of high tax rates and union activity protecting workers. It is failing because its business model was total crap, and because its insistence on shoving gas-guzzling behemoths down our throats and dependence upon getting people to buy a new car every couple years even when they don't need one was short-sighted and narrow-minded. They should have been trying to move into the 21st century, but they're in bed with big oil in the middle ages.

February 23, 2009 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  25. Lori

I say the Republicans who oppose the stimulus should not take anything. Nothing. Jindal and the rest of them who say that they will take some money but not all are hypocrites. They obviously believe in some of its merits so give me a break. They should give ALL the money to the Democratic governors who are for the stimulusand their states. We voters won't forget the hypocrisy, Republicans.

@'Democrat' against the stimulus:
    Did you ask that same question when George W was spending OUR tax dollars frivilously and giving it away to the Iraqi people?

February 23, 2009 09:25 am at 9:25 am |