February 27th, 2009

Democrats voice concerns on Obama's Iraq drawdown plan

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/02/27/iraq.dems/art.pelosi.gi.jpg caption="House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has questioned the need to keep 50,000 troops in Iraq until 2011."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Top Democrats have expressed concerned over President Obama's plan to draw down nearly two-thirds of U.S. forces in Iraq by August 2010, while some key Republicans are offering praise.

At issue: Obama plans to leave between 35,000 to 50,000 residual forces in the war-torn country, serving in a training or advisory role to the Iraqi military.

All U.S. troops have to be out of Iraq by December 31, 2011, under an agreement the Bush administration signed with the Iraqi government last year. There are currently 142,000 U.S. troops in Iraq.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, recently cited concern that the residual force Obama is planning to leave in Iraq is too large.

Full story

Filed under: Iraq • President Obama
  1. Big Ed

Hey, if the Pentagon is on board, and the commanders on the ground are good with it, Nancy should just calm down.

February 27, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  2. FreeNLovIt

We have breastfed them for almost a decade. It's time for them to answer the call to their own country. Our destiny is to squash exttremism anywhere in the world, but not to own their marriage licenses and birth certificates.

February 27, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. Kevin in Ohio

OMG, Pelosi, give it a rest! Are the left wing loons never satisfied with anything but complete and utter surrender????????

February 27, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. Sternberg

Pelosi is still whining that we are not going for the full surrender ceremony that she promised to her constituents in Berkely.

February 27, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  5. Concerned in MA

My God... that woman looks like Satan incarnate.

February 27, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. America For the Truth

GO OBAMA!!!!

February 27, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  7. Obama 2.0

Pelosi better step back!

February 27, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. Vipper

What are the Dems doing now??? Pelosi needs to control her need for attention and power. But for President Obama, these clowns wouldn't be there with the power now sitting at their feet. The Dems need to act like a unified party or never again complain about being kicked around. Although I have been a Dem most of my life, but just watching, these uncontrolled and ungrateful people forget that Pres. Obama is their president, simply exhausts me. I will never vote Dem again if these people do not learn to stick together like a team.

February 27, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. The Man

Poor Obama. Pelosi will ruin him unless he finds a way to rein her in.

February 27, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  10. peter

LIKE BUSH OBAMA WITH THIS MOVE IS A WAR CRIMINAL,YOU FEEL ME PEOPLE,OBAMA IS A WAR CRIMINAL,HE LIED TO US,HE LIED HE LIED,HE IS A LIAR,I WILL NEVER SUPPORT ANYTHING HE DO FROM THIS POINT,BECAUSE HE LIED TO US,I AM SO UPSET,ITS TIME FOR US LIBERALS TO LEAVE THIS PARTY,OBAMA GAVE IN TO THE GOP.I HATE THE MAN RIGHT NOW,IN I WAS SUCH A STRONG SUPPORTER OF OBAMA,BUT NOT ANYMORE.

February 27, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  11. smp

Geez, she has something to say about everything. Californians, please vote this woman out the next time around! I'm no doctor but I think dementia is setting in.

February 27, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  12. Sen. Harry Reid

The pullout is lost.

February 27, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  13. David

I second that...

February 27, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  14. SniffMe

She should be concerned about Obambi's budget......

February 27, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  15. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

We need the residual force there Nancy. But the main objective will be complete and that is the withdrawal of COMBAT BRIGADES.

February 27, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  16. Nan

Pelosi is the biggest problem Obama has. She will cause him more grief than the Republicans. She appears to be having a great deal of difficulty understanding that Obama is the change we wanted not her. I really wish she would be voted out of Congress.

February 27, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  17. Steve (the real one)

Return all of that salt water mouse money and then I might listen to you! Unti them ..shhhhhhh!

February 27, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  18. Tim, Seatlle

I am a dem, but glad to see Obama doing whats right here by listening to the armed forces leadership in Iraq.
    He is still close to his campaign promise and all will be out by 2011. He pledges a certain (but not precipitous) withdrwal from Iraq.
    Hes keeping his word.

Its good for Obama to get some GOP cover on this too. Good move, Mr President. Balanced and realistic.
    Glad to see some centrist practical decisions being made by Obama on this.

The far left and the far right are not the answer. The center is. The sooner we all get to that place, the better we will be

February 27, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  19. joe

That makes Mr. Obama the president of us all. Democrats and republicans!

February 27, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  20. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

A force of 35-50 thousands "advisors,"--must have re-defined the definition of "advisor,"--more like a "quick reactive mobile force.

February 27, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  21. Joein Pensacola

It is actually quite amusing that campaign promise after campaign promise continues to be undone. The person that promised "change" is no different from any other politician. Hope the folks who voted for this guy enjoy their 4 years, I'm a Democrat and already I can't wait for 2012.

February 27, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. Al, California

Democrats should have resisted the invasion. Only 23 senators voted against that authorization of force. Now, when finally Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld will be in court and hopefully in prison for starting Iraq invasion?

February 27, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  23. richard-Italian American

As an Italian American, I am so happy with the election of Mr. Obama.

George Bush made Pelosi seem like an old crazy woman. I am just so happy for her now

February 27, 2009 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  24. jackson611

Can I voice a concern over the amount of Botox in Pelosi's face? When is she going to begin to draw that down?

February 27, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  25. Jeff

Pelosi is so stupid it scares me, stand up and clap

February 27, 2009 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |