March 2nd, 2009

Meghan McCain: My dad's campaign killed my love life

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/02/art.mccains0302.gi.jpg caption="Sen. McCain's daughter, pictured on the left, is speaking out on the impact of her father's latest presidential campaign on her personal life."]
(CNN) - Meghan McCain says that "nothing kills my libido quite like discussing politics" - and that the presidential election "killed my personal life."

"OK, maybe killed is a bit of an exaggeration," she wrote in a blog post for The Daily Beast published Monday. "But it does seem to be on life support. Of all the things people warned would happen post-election, no one ever said anything about how complicated dating would become. Especially if your dad loses the election. There are things that have been difficult, but nothing quite as tough as dating. I fear the election has destroyed my ability and desire to date. Now, I cannot say at any point in my life that I have been very good at dating. But I have become something I used to despise: people who let politics dictate his or her attraction to someone."

McCain said she did not care who her friends supported during the campaign, and that she believed political views were personal - "but when it comes to dating, it's become an entirely different subject. And I promise, no one is more surprised by this revelation than I am. ... If I am adult enough to understand that voting is one of the most personal things a person can do, why am I letting it affect how attracted to someone I am? I know that no one can really explain sexual attraction and why you are drawn to someone or not — but at this point in time, nothing kills my libido quite like discussing politics."

She said she was "turned off" both by supporters of President Obama - and her father's backers. "Recently, over dinner, a guy started explaining his reasons for supporting President Obama during the election (I didn’t ask, I think the poor guy felt guilty) and I immediately found any attraction I had previously had dissipate," she wrote. "But same thing happens if a guy starts talking about all the reasons why my father should be president. I have the ultimate Catch-22 in post-election dating. So where does that leave me, and who exactly am I attracted to? Let’s just say I’m spending a lot of time writing and even more time with my girlfriends."

McCain also said she hadn't gone on a single date during the presidential campaign because she was too busy, and "too paranoid about getting set up for a 'gotcha' moment. ...I am sure I am not being fair to all the men out there, but my recent experiences have left me scarred and wary of dating," she said, in the blog post titled “Looking for Mr. Far Right.”

"At this point, my biggest aphrodisiac is an apathetic attitude toward politics. So to all the fathers out there: If you want your daughters to be single in her 20s, I can say this — run for president.”

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who graduated from Columbia University two years ago, has often blogged about her experiences on the campaign trail.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain • Meghan McCain
  1. the panther La, Ca

wow thanks CNN this is really somethin Americans wanted to hear...why not have it in Bold and breaking news at the top of the homepage

March 2, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  2. Chanda - Cincinnati

WHY THE HELL IS THIS ON THE TICKER!!! COME ON CNN!!!!

March 2, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  3. Tina

CNN This is not news!

March 2, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. Sharon

Who CARES?

March 2, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  5. this is a very grounded lady

too bad for her and her love life

but

she did get to go through a campaign which I can only guess must have been thrilling

anyway, seems like a cool, well grounded human being

March 2, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. Arlene Illinois

Meghan, a quick word, Seattle Sutton Diet!

March 2, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  7. Susan in NC

WHO CARES?

March 2, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. Allison

Boo Hoo!! This poor girl is between a rock and a hard place. She needs to hop out of fantasy land and grow up!

March 2, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. Earth to moron

Maybe her love life is struggling because she missed the joke about the Pearl Necklace? Really? You really think he was attracted to Cindy? Pearls? How old is this McCain again? She should have picked up on that. That was a sexual reference Jr. No wonder you are missing all the signs.

March 2, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  10. Independent Dave

Hey Sugar, I didn't vote in the last four elections! Call Me! (555-STUD)!

March 2, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  11. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

I truly believe that Meghan McCain is a closet Democrat!

March 2, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  12. Alex

Hey Meghan: Let's make out and start a 3rd party, baby!

March 2, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  13. Wesley

Is this all "Precious" has to dwell on? Meghan needs to get a real life!

March 2, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  14. Tannim

Ms. Meghan needs to realize the truth: her lack of dates has nothing to do with her father's run for the White House, and much more to do with the fact of who her father is in the first place. Nothing personal to her, but with that parental baggage, I wouldn't date her, either.

March 2, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  15. Laverne

Meghan McCain is not the most attractive person that may be why her love life have stalled. As a matter of fact, she is right down funny looking!

March 2, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. FORMER REPUBLICAN

GIRL HAS HER PARENT'S PRIORITIES, MORALS & TASTE.

March 2, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  17. honeychild

boy oh boy.. does she have issues!!!

March 2, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. Cleaning up after W

Uhh....Sorry. I think accidently stumbled onto the E! site. Surely CNN wouldn't have such a fluff story on their political ticker.

March 2, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  19. liz

Don't give up Meghan! You are a beautiful, sweet, intelligent person (and that's coming from an Obama fan!) and will meet Mr. "Right" one day...keep up the blogging, people love to hear what you have to say because you keep it real.

March 2, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  20. deb in Colo

Is this CNN's attempt to give the other side a "press time"???

HOW IS MISS MCCAIN's LOVE LIFE POLITICAL NEWS?

March 2, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  21. Robert in Galveston

What a sad NON STORY. Who cares, talk to her daddy. This is the definition of TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!

March 2, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. arithmetic is liberal

"She said one fan of her mother, Cindy McCain, recently told her she could be "his Cindy," and asked if she ever wore pearls like her mother did. "Any guy that has a fetish for older women in pantsuits and large pearls obviously only finds my last name attractive about me," she wrote.

I think we can all bipartisanly agree that this is one heckuva disturbing fetish that "fan" has.

Here's hope to Meghan that she can find love and happiness, which we all sorely need right now.

March 2, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. Sniffit

Seriously, I really don't think I can come up with an idea for a story that would have less substance than this load of rotting tripe.

March 2, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  24. paul oregon

another delusional republican . funny theres two sides to every story!
    maybe there party leader russ limbaugh could help her out.
    this is funny.

March 2, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. Bankrupt

My biggest aphrodisiac is Meghan McCain. She can date me anytime.

March 2, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |