March 2nd, 2009

Meghan McCain: My dad's campaign killed my love life

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/02/art.mccains0302.gi.jpg caption="Sen. McCain's daughter, pictured on the left, is speaking out on the impact of her father's latest presidential campaign on her personal life."]
(CNN) - Meghan McCain says that "nothing kills my libido quite like discussing politics" - and that the presidential election "killed my personal life."

"OK, maybe killed is a bit of an exaggeration," she wrote in a blog post for The Daily Beast published Monday. "But it does seem to be on life support. Of all the things people warned would happen post-election, no one ever said anything about how complicated dating would become. Especially if your dad loses the election. There are things that have been difficult, but nothing quite as tough as dating. I fear the election has destroyed my ability and desire to date. Now, I cannot say at any point in my life that I have been very good at dating. But I have become something I used to despise: people who let politics dictate his or her attraction to someone."

She said one fan of her mother, Cindy McCain, recently told her she could be "his Cindy," and asked if she ever wore pearls like her mother did. "Any guy that has a fetish for older women in pantsuits and large pearls obviously only finds my last name attractive about me," she wrote.

McCain said she did not care who her friends supported during the campaign, and that she believed political views were personal - "but when it comes to dating, it's become an entirely different subject. And I promise, no one is more surprised by this revelation than I am. ... If I am adult enough to understand that voting is one of the most personal things a person can do, why am I letting it affect how attracted to someone I am? I know that no one can really explain sexual attraction and why you are drawn to someone or not — but at this point in time, nothing kills my libido quite like discussing politics."

She said she was "turned off" both by supporters of President Obama - and her father's backers. "Recently, over dinner, a guy started explaining his reasons for supporting President Obama during the election (I didn’t ask, I think the poor guy felt guilty) and I immediately found any attraction I had previously had dissipate," she wrote. "But same thing happens if a guy starts talking about all the reasons why my father should be president. I have the ultimate Catch-22 in post-election dating. So where does that leave me, and who exactly am I attracted to? Let’s just say I’m spending a lot of time writing and even more time with my girlfriends."

McCain also said she hadn't gone on a single date during the presidential campaign because she was too busy, and "too paranoid about getting set up for a 'gotcha' moment. ...I am sure I am not being fair to all the men out there, but my recent experiences have left me scarred and wary of dating," she said, in the blog post titled “Looking for Mr. Far Right.”

"At this point, my biggest aphrodisiac is an apathetic attitude toward politics. So to all the fathers out there: If you want your daughters to be single in her 20s, I can say this — run for president.”

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who graduated from Columbia University two years ago, has often blogged about her experiences on the campaign trail.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain • Meghan McCain
  1. Had It

Young men turn her off --- but not the young women? Hmmmm

March 2, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  2. Sandra, Washington

THE MCSAME LABIDO IS WHAT THE WHOLE NATION

IS WORRIED ABOUT. THE GIRL IS AN EVEN BIGGER

IDIOT THAN HER PARENTS & THAT IS SAYING A LOT.

March 2, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. JACK

Meghan needs to ask Rush Limbaugh what to do, afterall, he's "God" in the Republican Party.

March 2, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. Joe in Austin

She has a sense of humor. I find that really sexy.

March 2, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. Brian Crooks

I find Meghan McCain super sexy, despite my politics. If I got to date her, I would just keep my mouth shut.

March 2, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. Matt B.

Come on, CNN...this is not worthy of being called 'news.'

March 2, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

There is a 11yr old boy who writes about children of the White house. He plans to run for president when he is 37. Don't ask me why. She should write a book about her experience. It will help her decompress for one thing and look at like from a different perspective as a single woman who wishes to accomplish all the good things of life.

March 2, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. KLK

too much information, meghan.

March 2, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. Andrew Lee, Nashville, TN

Uh...who really cares?

March 2, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  10. Jon in CA

Good lord – quit reporting on the whinings of a wealthy child. I voted for John McCain but find his daughters complaints to be petty and insignificant.

Why CNN would report on these things?? To stir the pot.....

March 2, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  11. RZA

Maybe they're just not that into you, Meghan.

March 2, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  12. John G

I can honestly say that if I were on a date with a beautiful, intelligent woman like Meghan, the last thing I would bring up would be her Dad even if he is John McCain.

March 2, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  13. John Hargis Sr

WOW, goes to show the intelligence of this woman, with all the problems going on in the world, her first thought is sex and her libido.

March 2, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  14. Daryl from Seattle

Hey little Cindy (err...maybe not so little)...I voted for Nader....let's grab a burger! lol

March 2, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  15. John Wilson

Put dating on hold; find out who and what you are; then, and only then re-enter the dating game... what is the rush?

March 2, 2009 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  16. Tina in Phoenix

CNN, why are you talking about Meghan McCain's love life or lack thereof?! C'mon, get some real news......

March 2, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. alexa

She's a beautiful and intelligent woman, I'm sure she'll find a good guy.

March 2, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. Al, KS

I guess my response is....who cares? What about John's love life? Now that would be interesting...OK, maybe not.

March 2, 2009 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  19. Sandra

Don't worry Meghan..when the right fellw comes along, you won't give a care in the world for his politics!

Signed,
    Happily Married for almost 30 years

March 2, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. america first

so many of us are having troble holding on to our homes and our very lively hood thanks to the last administration, and you are worried about who you go out with, GROW UP.

March 2, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  21. animal rescuer

March 2, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  22. animal rescuer

so very sad....People in the limelife are fearful of living their lives because some idiot with a cell phone camera will make a picture that gets all blown out of porportion.....She needs to live her life and do not worry about what other people think...tell them to jump off into a lake

March 2, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  23. Purnell Kankakee IL.

Who cares!

March 2, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  24. David

Don't worry you're nice looking young woman and the memory of the election will fade. Good luck although I didn't vote for your father but you was one of the positive during the campaign.

March 2, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  25. Jkay - KCMO

I understand Rush is available. Just think you would never get a word in edge-wise.

March 2, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |