March 2nd, 2009

Meghan McCain: My dad's campaign killed my love life

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/02/art.mccains0302.gi.jpg caption="Sen. McCain's daughter, pictured on the left, is speaking out on the impact of her father's latest presidential campaign on her personal life."]
(CNN) - Meghan McCain says that "nothing kills my libido quite like discussing politics" - and that the presidential election "killed my personal life."

"OK, maybe killed is a bit of an exaggeration," she wrote in a blog post for The Daily Beast published Monday. "But it does seem to be on life support. Of all the things people warned would happen post-election, no one ever said anything about how complicated dating would become. Especially if your dad loses the election. There are things that have been difficult, but nothing quite as tough as dating. I fear the election has destroyed my ability and desire to date. Now, I cannot say at any point in my life that I have been very good at dating. But I have become something I used to despise: people who let politics dictate his or her attraction to someone."

She said one fan of her mother, Cindy McCain, recently told her she could be "his Cindy," and asked if she ever wore pearls like her mother did. "Any guy that has a fetish for older women in pantsuits and large pearls obviously only finds my last name attractive about me," she wrote.

McCain said she did not care who her friends supported during the campaign, and that she believed political views were personal - "but when it comes to dating, it's become an entirely different subject. And I promise, no one is more surprised by this revelation than I am. ... If I am adult enough to understand that voting is one of the most personal things a person can do, why am I letting it affect how attracted to someone I am? I know that no one can really explain sexual attraction and why you are drawn to someone or not — but at this point in time, nothing kills my libido quite like discussing politics."

She said she was "turned off" both by supporters of President Obama - and her father's backers. "Recently, over dinner, a guy started explaining his reasons for supporting President Obama during the election (I didn’t ask, I think the poor guy felt guilty) and I immediately found any attraction I had previously had dissipate," she wrote. "But same thing happens if a guy starts talking about all the reasons why my father should be president. I have the ultimate Catch-22 in post-election dating. So where does that leave me, and who exactly am I attracted to? Let’s just say I’m spending a lot of time writing and even more time with my girlfriends."

McCain also said she hadn't gone on a single date during the presidential campaign because she was too busy, and "too paranoid about getting set up for a 'gotcha' moment. ...I am sure I am not being fair to all the men out there, but my recent experiences have left me scarred and wary of dating," she said, in the blog post titled “Looking for Mr. Far Right.”

"At this point, my biggest aphrodisiac is an apathetic attitude toward politics. So to all the fathers out there: If you want your daughters to be single in her 20s, I can say this — run for president.”

The daughter of former Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who graduated from Columbia University two years ago, has often blogged about her experiences on the campaign trail.

Filed under: Extra • John McCain • Meghan McCain
  1. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

There is a 11yr old boy who writes about children in the White House. He plans to run for president when he is 37. Don't ask me why. She should write a book about her experience. It will help her decompress for one thing and look at life from a different perspective as a single woman who wishes to accomplish all the good things of life. I think dating or socializing is a good thing. She can learn to find out if her date is a whimp. Why stoop low? Your father gracefully conceded. Turn dating into a fun adventure. Just drop them in the garbage girl.

March 2, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  2. nobama

typical CNN...... this is ridiculous

anyone happen to see where the DOW ended today? Thanks Obama, you truly are the greatest president of all time (rolling of the eyes)

March 2, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  3. S Callahan

Meghan...just set the boundaries...tell them..no political talk. It can't be that hard....could it?

March 2, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  4. Dean from Maine

I guess the repubs are turning off everyone! I just switched my party affiliation to the GOP...hey, someone needs to turn off the lights.

March 2, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  5. Kiddo

Think she needs a little cheese to go with that whine?

March 2, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Had It

Bet Mommie's Millions bring them out of the woodwork in the droves. Any more men out there that want women to take care of them? Like "Daddy"?

March 2, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  7. Brad

Poor Meghan, maybe Ann Coulter could give her a few pointers. Lord knows Ann could kill a love-life. lol lol lol

March 2, 2009 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  8. Jo

And why would anybody care if and you are dating. It must be a very slow newsday for CNN to put this on their website.

March 2, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  9. Shirley in California

So let me get this straight. People are losing their homes and jobs, going hungry and we have two wars going on and she wants us to be concerned about her love life? Well, sweetie go find yourself some pills to live on just like your mother did and leave us alone. You won't get any sympathy here as the rest of us are too worried about how we are going to make it from paycheck to paycheck and if we will have a job to go to tomorrow (that is those of us who STILL have jobs). Disgusting. The whole McCain family. Disgusting. Please go find yourself a bridge to jump off and leave your inheritance to some unfortunate family.

March 2, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

This is NEWS? or Politics? Who cares?

I see... it's the replacement for abstinence, right? A new GOP talking point?

March 2, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  11. Jose

Meagan,

No disrespect. But your pop's politics are just wrong. Change them and you'll find plenty of dates. America has changed and people don't want to date someone seem as stale. You're a pretty girl, just run far away from your dad's politics as fast as you can.

Good luck.

March 2, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  12. NoMo Bush

So she said "I spend more time with my girlfriends" sound like dear OLD dad may want to give ole Dick a call.

March 2, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. no on 8

Dick Cheney's daughter spends a lot of time with her girlfriends also.

March 2, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  14. When I get the flu I take a teaspoon of Tax Cuts

She's cute.

March 2, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  15. American Women; The Queens of the World

Maybe it's your big American Beer Belly.....

March 2, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  16. Fredi

Just a reminder: the sole purpose of life is not "dating"

March 2, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. Why Do We Care?

I don't get why this is news worthy......when we are in a deep recession....people's homes are being foreclosed on....America is going in the toilet but we need to know the Megan McCain isn't getting any!
    Please lets get back to the real news.

March 2, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  18. Bill/CA

Poor Meghan...while millions of Americans are losing their jobs and homes because of policies her father helped enact over the last eight years, her love life has gone stale.

What. A. Shame.

March 2, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. Bxgrrl

This was one of the most boring and pointless Ticker stories yet. Who gives a flying bleep about her sex life?

March 2, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  20. nic

Is it a crime to be single in your 20s?

March 2, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  21. Jesus Christ

Maybe the fact that her father lost all respect from the public during the election and also chose Palin, the guy's definitely not all there. I would be uncomfortable meeting a girl's dad who was a wacko.

March 2, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  22. No Vaseline

Who cares?

March 2, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  23. AJ

Why would she find this so surprising? Ones political affiliation says a lot about ones view on life and values. It's understandible that a person would want to date someone that shared their beliefs. I for one would never date a republican.

March 2, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  24. Observant Utahn

Meghan,

Just linger around the CPAC next year (too late this year). I'm sure some rabid conservative would find you much to their liking.

March 2, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  25. If you don't like it go back to Europe!

Sorry Maghan, I think it was your wide sholders, or perhaps your double chin. Your belly might have had something to do with it also.

March 2, 2009 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |