March 5th, 2009

A big surprise for the Obama girls

ALT TEXT

The President and first lady surprised their daughters with this new swing set which arrived at the White House on Wednesday afternoon. (Photo Credit: CHRIS KLEPONIS/AFP/Getty Images)

(CNN) - The Obama girls still don't have a puppy, but they did receive another surprise when they arrived home from school Wednesday– a brand new swing set.

A spokeswoman for First Lady Michelle Obama says Malia and Sasha, ages 10 and 7, "squealed with delight" when they saw their surprise, playing on the swing set for almost an hour in the chilly weather.

The girls' parents arranged for the play set to be installed Wednesday at the White House grounds, within sight of the Oval Office, before Malia and Sasha arrived home from Sidwell Friends school.

Filed under: Obama family • Popular Posts • White House
  1. Judi Baller

Hey! That swing set was made in America..... I think it is great and the girls have something fun to play on outdoors like all our kids should be doing, instead of sitting watching TV or on the computer. Play houses are great fun when you are a kid and I would love to climb up into that
    playhouse, and like Whatever, the 65 year old grandpa, I am in his age group.

March 5, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. barbed

My daughter enjoyed her swingset well past age ten.

The Obama's are being good parents and role models. Unfortunately that is lost on the knee-jerk heartless republican idiots (yeah, I'm especially referring to the upstanding citizend who his his pst Ananymous) who can post hateful insults about a story as nice at this. I'm glad we have pryed the country back out of your cold dead hearts and hands.

March 5, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  3. Donna Wies

Someone should tell the President that putting a playground on lawn isn't very safe.

March 5, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  4. David from Delaware

It's good to see someone in the White House who is well grounded. If he continues to approach running the country and working with world leaders, with the same fervor he devotes to the family, we'll be just fine. To those who are critical of spending, remember, this didn't start in the last month and a half, and it will take far longer to straighten it out. Let's work together and help in the success, rather than tear it apart.

March 5, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  5. Laura, Boston

The blogs on this article are unbelievable. Two young girls (whom we really don't know) receive a gift from their parents and they are being held responsible for the 401(k)'s of America?

I am sure there are other stories to express your vile thoughts on but this is a simple story of a family gift. Nothing more nothing less!

March 5, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  6. L Davis

Nice that Someone can afford a swingset for their children.. I personally don'tknow anyone right now who can, most of us just want to have a roof over our children's heads and heat.
    Sorry if I can't get too excited.

March 5, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  7. Shannon

How wonderful for them! It is so cool seeing a swing set on the White House lawn, like a normal family. To those who are complaining about this, why? I am sure the Obamas can afford this swing set on their own, and if it does come out of White house living expenses, then so be it. There are worse things that government money could be wasted on.... like a bridge to nowhwere.

March 5, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  8. slickingdom

I hope they enjoy it !! My daughter has something very similar to this.
    And I actually have fun with it too !!

March 5, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  9. Emma

Sharon:

It is RIDICULOUS that you are criticizing and you don't even know how to spell.

President Obama is not the president-select. Remember 364-174. Deal with that.

March 5, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  10. BJ

Good Lord!!!!! Some of you people are so vicious. What's wrong with you? Talk about being bitter and resentful. What's wrong with the kids having a swing set? I hope they have a great time with it. People, there is too much gloom and doom in the world right now. What's wrong with hearing some other kinds of news, no matter what it is about? Life is too short to let things like this eat you up. I didn't grow up with a swing set, but I sure am not going to resent anyone being able to buy their own children one. And why are some of you saying that those children are spoilt brats? Any time we have seen them on TV, they have always seemed well behaved. I guess there has to be another reason why you are being so resentful. Open up your hearts and try to adopt more Christian ways. Geeze!!!!! And for those of you who are criticizing Michelle Obama's toned bare arms.....get a life......you are so jealous!!!!! I am working to have arms like those so that I can show them off too....I will be so proud to do that. The fashion industry has no problem with that, so why do you?

March 5, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. mia

I am happy for the little girls – i hope they have lots of fun and enjoy their lives as long as they can.

March 5, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  12. Peace

Where are the unicorns?? We were promised unicorns!!!!! Geez....

March 5, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  13. Lillie

Great swing set! I'm happy for the girls and they have wonderful parents who understand that it's more important to spend time at play outside, too! Far to many kids are addicted to TV....let's get back to swings and playing with toys outside with our children. And when is the first dog arriving? Those girls have waited long enough......

President Obama and the First Lady sets a positive family tone for our nation as we dig ourselves out of a big MESS economically!!!, .....and to the haters, please stop it!!!

March 5, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  14. 2xVet and 4xMom

I am going to buy my seven and eight year old one of those. I like how they have the treehouse and the swing set together. I hope the store in Columbus on Exit 8 off I-185 is still open. I'll put a load of sand down first.

March 5, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  15. TamarS

that's terrific – they need to play and just be kids.

March 5, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  16. Cathy

You HATERS must have been deprived of swingset in your time....

Shame on you.

March 5, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  17. Margi

To Kinda: You are kind of crazy. If you thing the Obama's who by the way, were millioniares before they moved into the White House, are using your tax dollars to pay for a swing set for their children. This article should have had a permalink on it so the crazies could not comment.

March 5, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  18. fivekitten

To the person who said the girls are too big for the swingset: As a mother of six I heartedly disagree! Even my teenagers like to sit on a swing! So do I! Who doesn't? I really feel sorry for the children of the woman who made that remark. Kids are kids, not miniature adults.

I'm glad the article was here because my 8 year old daughter (the youngest) and I like to see what the Obama girls are doing when we surf through our morning CNN articles together.

The swingset is no more extravagent than what you can buy in a chain store. And the girls need to be kids!!!! Although I picture them swinging with a billion bodyguards around...kinda kills the innocence in the visual...

And Obama is not stupid. He knows his money is being watched and I highly doubt it came from anywhere other than his salary or personal savings.

Thank you Sarah Parker for the article! There are many of us following Michelle and the children!

March 5, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  19. Laurel

I for one am glad that the Obamas are trying to provide their kids with opportunities to just be kids. I think this is great.

Malia and Sasha: Don't listen to all those cynics out there. Enjoy your swing set and just have a lot of fun!

March 5, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  20. Lauren, Chicago

What's next, a shed?

March 5, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. Buzzell from New Hampshire

I'm not an Obama supporter...but how can hateful remarks be made about 2 little girls getting a swingset???

Have fun lttle ones!

March 5, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. Eddie

Some people are saying that the girls are too old for this? Hell, I'm over 30, and I still like to play on the swings every once in a while.

March 5, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  23. Matthew Magorien

Is this really a top news story on CNN? It may be cute to some, but who cares? The economy is at its lowest point since 1997. and has gotten worse every day since Obama has been in office. I want to know how obama is going to fix our economy... not the new playset he bought his kids.

March 5, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  24. Mobius

Kids living in homeless shelters, parents losing homes and life savings – while the Halfrican buys a new swingset. That's change?

March 5, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. Georgia Sue

I already know the economy is in the toilet and I have bills to pay that I can't because I lost my job...like thousands of other people... but for a brief moment I got to smile at the thought of a new swing set and the delight of young children. Thank you for the 'light' story.

March 5, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |