March 5th, 2009

A big surprise for the Obama girls

ALT TEXT

The President and first lady surprised their daughters with this new swing set which arrived at the White House on Wednesday afternoon. (Photo Credit: CHRIS KLEPONIS/AFP/Getty Images)

(CNN) - The Obama girls still don't have a puppy, but they did receive another surprise when they arrived home from school Wednesday– a brand new swing set.

A spokeswoman for First Lady Michelle Obama says Malia and Sasha, ages 10 and 7, "squealed with delight" when they saw their surprise, playing on the swing set for almost an hour in the chilly weather.

The girls' parents arranged for the play set to be installed Wednesday at the White House grounds, within sight of the Oval Office, before Malia and Sasha arrived home from Sidwell Friends school.

Filed under: Obama family • Popular Posts • White House
  1. Monica in Huntington Beach

Louise,

You are an out of touch grandmother if you think a 7 and 10 year old are too big for this. My niece and nephew of 12 and 14 years STILL hang out on theirs.

You're just a bitter old woman who is looking for something to p*ss and moan about and anything that makes the Obamas seem human is fodder for you.

I'm glad you're not MY children's grandmother.

March 5, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  2. truth be told

Those kids are too OLD for that swing set. They've already outgrown it! Also, it's suppose to have mulch or something under it.

March 5, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Anna

GUYS! Regardless of whether or not they're the president and first lady, they're still the parents of children.

This is a family. I hope the kids enjoy that swingset. You're never too old for one.

March 5, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  4. Rob

These same people defending the Obama children are the ones who suggested that the Palin daughters were into incest.

What a sad, sick group you are. I'd say you all should be ashamed of yourselves, but you'd have to have a conscience and a soul.

March 5, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  5. wayne

I just can't understand how ANYONE can have a problem with this man being our president.

March 5, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  6. Rob

What a sad, sick group you are. I'd say you all should be ashamed of yourselves, but you'd have to have a conscience and a soul to do that.

March 5, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  7. Rob

March 5, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  8. Randy

I hate Obamas policy and believe he is a threat to the country but they do seem to be great parents. Good for him.

March 5, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. Texas Proud!

TO: Big Al

Anything negative regarding the Obama's most likely will not be reported by CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS and the rest of the liberal medial. Oh no, they are not about to let the President down. Heck, they put him there, they sure aren't going to let him fail. Besides, Obama has them in his back pocket.

Mark Twain hit the hammer on the nail when he said:
    "if you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read
    the newspaper you are misinformed".

Well, that holds true with the liberal media.

P.S. I am glad to see those sweet children have some fun. I'm sure they'll have a great time on that set with all their friends.

March 5, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  10. BT

For those who are concerned that the President and his wife bought their children a swing set you should realize that there have always been "haves" and "have nots" in our country. The difference between Pres. Obama and the many other "haves" is that he CARES about the have nots. Unlike Pres. Bush who never cared for anyone in this country other than the "haves".

Were you all complaining when one of the Bush girls got into trouble for having a fake ID and using it at a bar? Then daddy bailed her out and spent plenty of $ to make sure she did not have to pay the piper?

March 5, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  11. Robin

It would only be wrong if this was a Republican President.

March 5, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  12. Nancy

Cool! I remember when my parents surprised me and my sister with a Wooden Swing Set – we were about the same age – it was so much fun!

March 5, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  13. ree wife of a vet and a former democrat

Don't care what he gets for his children. Just hope he paid for it. Getting tired of my tax money going for ear marks. He makes enough from us and his book earnings to pay for it himself.

I want money to go to help people who lost their jobs and are losing their homes.

March 5, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. Jon in CA

That's nice.

Millions of Americans are losing their homes... but the Obama girls get a new play home.

Gosh – when is the next extravagent soiree, Michelle?? When you you all be wasting money on another big party??

March 5, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. Paulette Krasowski

It's so nice to see these children are just the same as any other children and enjoy the same things. They're not spoiled, yet.

March 5, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Paul

To anyone complaining- why on earth are you?

FDR put a jungle gym in for kids at the White House. During the Great Depression, no less. Obama paid for it out of his own pocket, bought American from a South Dakota company. You mean to tell me this is a bad thing, people? Maybe he should have bought his kids a Playstation 3 and told them to stay inside? If I had kids and the money, I'd want them to have something like that to play on.

March 5, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  17. Howard

So much hate. So much vitriol. So much viciousness.

(sigh!) So sad.

March 5, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  18. Expat American

Scott, Boston March 5th, 2009 10:01 am ET
    There goes the neighborhood. The dignity of the White House has been lost again by another Democrat.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    President Obama bought a swingset for his children.

Because of President Bush, the United States is now accepted globally as a nation that has falsely imprisoned and tortured innocent people and murdered women and children.

Good comparison.

March 5, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  19. Kelly

I'm sure the girls will love the gift. It's not their fault their dad is who he is. As far as the dog.....I guess you can say another promise broken!!

March 5, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  20. bitter_in_pa

Obamas a pretty hard working guy ... probably works 12 hours a day. I'd say he earned the money to buy this thing for his kids. Hopefully its American made and helped someone keep their job at the factory.

March 5, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  21. KMAN

Sharon LVYou make we want to vomit! And you call those little kids "brats" ... what do you think of yourself?

March 5, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  22. CATHY

GIVE PRESIDENT AND MRS. BARRACK OBAMA A BREAK THESE
    ARE THEIR CHILDREN, AS PARENTS THEY HAVE THE RIGHT
    BRING THEIR GIRLS UP THE WAY THEY FEEL IS BEST, SOME OF
    YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST MEAN AND HATEFUL; IT'S LIKE YOU WANT
    THIS FAMILY TO FAIL, I'M SO GLAD GOD STILL SITS ON THE THRONE AND NOT A MAN OR WOMAN.

March 5, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  23. Dave H.

Wow. Thats nice! I love this president like the other 60% of the country. but there's just no pleasing some people....

March 5, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  24. Tia

Good for them. As long as it isn't tax payer money and the Obamas parid for it themselves we should leave them be. Let's the kids enjoy it.

My only concern is when purchases like these (personal items) are funded from taxpayer money (aka govt funds) when times are tough and fellow DC kids are loosing funding for their education.

March 5, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  25. Sean

Why no puppy yet?

I hope they rescue one from the pound.

March 5, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |