March 5th, 2009

Former Iraq administrator Bremer now a painter

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/05/art.bremerart.gi.jpg caption="A sample of Bremer’s art, which favors farm and country scenes."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - L. Paul Bremer, the former head of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq, has a new trade: painting.

Bremer has launched Web site promoting his work, mostly oil paintings on canvas or panels, depicting wintery landscapes in Vermont, where he has “an old farm house.” He’s also holding an exhibition - his second - in the Vermont town of Grafton this summer.

He said he refined his skills at a school in Glen Echo, Maryland. “I started painting about two years ago,” he said. “It’s something that always interested me.”

Bremer currently does consulting work and serves on a number of boards in the Washington area. He said he’s donating the proceeds from his sales to the Chester and Grafton Historical Societies in Vermont.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. big papa

John Wayne Gacy painted too...

...hopefully, they'll meet similar ends...

March 5, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  2. Chris in Va.

Well I'll be able to sleep securely tonight in the thought of this information.

March 5, 2009 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  3. Joseph Keluel

Dear Mr. President,I am writing to strongly urge you to appoint an "owner" of U.S. Sudan policy as soon as possible. To end this genocide, we need someone with the necessary stature, mandate and authority to bring peace and protection to Darfuris and accountability to the perpetrators.The reported decision to issue a warrant for the arrest of Sudan's President Bashir brings us to a turning point in the Darfur conflict. It has the potential to be a huge triumph for justice, decency and the rule of law. But without the proper diplomatic response, Darfur and all of Sudan could spiral into deeper violence and despair.As you know, there is reason to believe that Bashir will react by lashing out against innocent people. The United States must make clear that the Sudanese government will be held responsible for any retaliatory action against civilians, the humanitarian aid community or the UNAMID peacekeeping force.You said last year that we must pursue peace in Darfur with "unstinting resolve." Now is a moment when that resolve will be tested. Show strength, Mr. President, by empowering

March 5, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  4. keith in california

He should be painting in a prison cell somewhere.

March 5, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. K.Warner

He's about as good a painter as he was as interim head of Iraq...Not!

March 5, 2009 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  6. Otto

Ahhh...where is that van I just saw out front; you know the one containg several bags? Bags? yes, bags filled with $100.00 bills!

March 5, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  7. Beverly, NYC

Not exactly Donna Dewbury

March 5, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. Ken

What ? No Iraqi Farm and Country scenes?

Perhaps they would not be as pastoral, with all that smoke rising in the background . . .

March 5, 2009 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  9. texas teacher

@keith in california

You probably can't say anything nice can you? You must be a liberal.

March 5, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. Raul Masvidal

He is doing now what he should have been doing in Iraq....painting landscapes not diplomacy.

March 5, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  11. montag

I'd like to see him paint a still-life of the nearly 9 billion dollars that went missing in Iraq on his watch.

March 5, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. Proud American

Wow, looks like someone finally found something he could do. Congrats.

March 5, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  13. Bill

He should be in IRAQ in the on guard duty in the brig!

March 5, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  14. Adam

Liberals would never consider this painting "art". To be considered art there has to be overtly homosexual inferences or a sculpture of Jesus made out of poop. Farm & country scenes have no artistic merit anymore. I'm sure liberals view American Gothic as a painting of 2 racist homophobes with a pitchfork. A liberal is probably looking at Bremer's painting now trying to decide which barn is potentially the Slave Quarters, so they can act outraged.

March 5, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  15. Sandy

We can now scratch two trades from his possibilites!

March 5, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  16. Chris - Denver

Well, administration wasn't his calling.. and neither, it appears, is art. That looks like a paint-by-numbers my 8-year-old did. Keep searching, L. Paul.

March 5, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  17. Had It

Hmmmm – paint by number?

March 5, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  18. JonDie

How twisted! I wonder if this is how Van Gogh got started.

March 5, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  19. Griff............... on The Truth...

And when my numbers up. I will live, live live until I die. Micky Jackson...

March 5, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  20. rucognizant

GGGGGGGGGeeeeeeesh!
    B_____D!
    Yes GAcy ,while I who have invested 50 years in my painting craft...don't even get enough SS income to eat for 30 days a month.
    That's because the money Bremer "lost" in Iraq came out of our SS fund!

March 5, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  21. Dboy

Bunch of cybersnots...I think it's great he's pursuing his muse...and donating the proceeds to local charities. Do you?

March 5, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  22. patrick

who cares? is this really news... this guy needs to be forgotten...

March 5, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  23. Texas Teacher

Pretty good painting... don't know much about the man... and don't want to! Seriously... I have better things to do with my time.. 🙂

March 5, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  24. carol

I wanna comment on Sanjay Gupta above.

It is good he nevered tyhe admin

March 5, 2009 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  25. H M

I saw his name and immediately thought – oh that's harmless, he's painting houses now. Oops.

March 5, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |