March 6th, 2009

Boehner hits Democrats after latest jobs report

WASHINGTON (CNN) - House Minority Leader John Boehner responded to the latest dismal jobs report Friday by accusing Democrats of pursuing policies “that are only proving to make matters worse.”

Boehner said in a statement that “Washington Democrats seem more determined than ever to continue pursuing tax hikes and pork-barrel spending increases” that won’t help middle-class families.

He called on the president to follow through on his campaign promise to fight wasteful spending by vetoing the omnibus spending bill and its thousands of earmarks. He also asked Obama to work with leaders the House and Senate to enact a spending freeze for the rest of the year.

“The American people want and deserve better solutions from both parties in Washington, and they expect us to work together to make the same tough budget choices they are being forced to make during this economic downturn,” Boehner said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Lisa B

It is sad to see so many people critizing President Obama. Are you people awake? The entire world economy, I said WORLD, is crashing. What the hell do you expect one man to do? No really. What is he supposed to do. If Dubya had any balls, he would not have kept this quiet and starting acting long ago. Don't tell me he did not know how great this crisis was going to be. We were in a recession for a WHOLE YEAR (December 2007 – December 2008) before he even uttered the "R" word. It is my fear that no one and I mean no one, is able to fix this world wide mess. All the President and the federal government can do now is try, and I emphasis the word "try" to soften the blow. Try to keep blood from running in the streets. Because believe me, it is really going to get ugly out there and fast! All of you need to read Jim Sinclair's analogy of this world wide economic crisis. I have followed him for many years, and he has predicted all of it. Every single thing that has occured he predicted. It is not pretty folks. This world wide financial crisis is REAL. It is bad. And its' going to get worse no matter how much President Obama tries to right the ship. The President is geniune, he really cares about people and this country. But again, what do you expect him to do short of what he has already put out there. I am sick of the politics. Sick of the negativity. If he had the total support of every single member of congress, every single person in the country (and the world leaders with him) then he might have a fighting chance. Believe me, it is that bad and getting worse. Please. Go to Jim Sinclair's web site and read his analysis. It is real and it is difficult and it is really happening!

March 6, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  2. Scott from St. Charles, MO

Boehner has proven himself just a clueless as Pelosi and Reid!!!! Easy to say stuff like that when you have no idea's...next time before you shoot your mouth off have some solutions that may actually work!!!!

March 6, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  3. Linda in MS

So I guess if the Republican had won on Nov. 4 they'd have all of this fixed by now, huh?

March 6, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. Kris

WTH is Boehner talking about... Obama's economic policies ARE NOT EVEN IN EFFECT YET!!!

The results we are seeing are carryover from existing policies. It's amazing... the same people who blame Clinton 9 mos. into the Bush administration, want to blame Obama for the currect economic situation 2 mos. into his.

Get real!!

March 6, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. Donna from Colorado Springs

John Boehner and his Republican flunkies are the biggest bunch of hypocrits on the planet! They (The Republican Party) are the cause for the horrible jobless numbers and they know it. They refuse to take any responsibility for what happened over the last eight horrible years under Bush. The Republican party put us in a hole that is so deep that it will take a long time to dig ourselves out. They blame the Democrats.....as usual for everything that is wrong. Obama inherited more problems than any President should have to deal with, but do the Republicans care? Of course they don't! The party and its leader, namely Rush Limbaugh do nothing but complain and whine about everything the president is trying to do. Do they have an alternative to any bill that the Dems have put forth? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They only want tax cuts.......that's it! What kind of stupid plan is that????????????? Either come up with something better or shut up!

March 6, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  6. Oregon calling

When I first became a registered voter, 25 years ago, it was as a Republican. Years later I changed my affiliation to that of a Democrat, then I became an Independent. Now I am a registered Democrat only because I wanted to support and vote in the primaries for now President Obama. I am NOT a party person, I am an American FIRST! Do what is right for our country! Oregon has a closed primary but I will be changing my registration to be that of Unaffiliated. Don’t get me wrong, I will still vote for President Obama at this point but we really do need a VIABLE 3rd party. Give our President a chance to prove himself. Oh, and here’s an idea........ Don’t even start campaigning until 1 year before the election, this last one was wayyyyyy too long!

Peace 🙂

March 6, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. David

This is hardly surprising. It's going to take time for the economy to start to recover but they'll use this as an attack. It's pretty pathetic.

The Omnibus bill was written when George Bush was in office and over 40% of the ear marks are Republican. Now he claims it's the Democrats who are spending. What a joke.

The GOP leaders scream tax cuts and stop spending in front of the camera but are more than willing to add spending to bills when they think nobody is looking. Until they start offering real solutions (tax cuts and the buzz word socialism are not solutions), they are going to continue to lose seats.

March 6, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. Kent

The President made it VERY clear that his measures would take several months to make an impact on the downturn. The President also said it may not all work as planned, but we would continue to work the problem until it is solved.
    Congressman Boehner was sitting in the room when he said it. Was the Congressman even listening, or was he too busy twittering while the President was addressing him?

March 7, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |