March 6th, 2009

Gingrich talks openly about running in 2012

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/06/art.gingrich.gi.jpg caption="Gingrich is mulling a White House bid in 2012."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Newt Gingrich is talking out loud about a possible run for the White House in 2012.

“Calista and I will look seriously, and we'll probably get our family totally engaged, including our two grandchildren, probably in January 2011, and we'll look seriously at whether or not we think its necessary to do it,” Gingrich told reporters in Ashland, Virginia last night, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“And if we think it's necessary we'll probably do it,” he said. “And if it isn’t necessary we probably won't do it.”

The former House Speaker told the New York Times magazine something similar in a profile published over the weekend.

“I think I’m closer to Benjamin Franklin than to George Washington,” Gingrich told the magazine. “I’m a contributor to my country and to my times. If it turns out that there’s a moment when it makes sense to run, then I’ll run. But if I end up never being able to run, then it won’t devastate me.”

Gingrich briefly flirted with the idea of running for president in 2007, telling supporters that if he could raise $30 million in a three-week period he would enter the race, but ultimately decided against entering the race.

Though he’s mulling a run, Gingrich said it may be time to pass the torch to younger crop of leaders. He told the Times-Dispatch that he sees the Republican Party “moving towards a whole new generation” and predicted that Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor, the House Minority Whip, is on the path to becoming Speaker of the House.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. Norom

Kurt C. March 6th, 2009 12:24 pm ET

He'd be 100 times better than the stuttering doofus that's the President now.

In case you had not noticed, Bush is no longer in office.

March 6, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  2. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

And who says GOP is dead? Gingrich has been saying the right things, McCain doing the right things, Mitt, Pawlenty and Jindal comes up with the right strategies and Palin in the right place. Mind you, with crap shooters, and sharp shooters like Rush and Steele, that in my opinion is a helluva combination that at in end, together they will have created a political masterpiece. Everyone will sit back and say what a comeback. Gingrich and the boys did it for Clinton, he should now do it for himself and country. I say Go for it.

March 6, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. CMG

His running could give a whole new meaning to the term "character crisis."

March 6, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  4. Jobless

If Newt Ginrich is Ben Franklin, then David Vitter is Mr. Family Values and Larry Craig is Faithful Husband.

March 6, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  5. Mississippi Mike

Newt would be a better president than Mr. I AM A BIG BUDDY WITH TERRORIST AYERS, I ATTENDED SERVICES FOR TWENTY YEARS AND DIDN'T KNOW WRIGHT HAD THOSE FEELINGS, I DON'T HAVE A BIRTH CERTIFICATE, YOU CAN'T SEE MY SCHOOL RECORDS. What in the world is Hussien Obama hiding.

March 6, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  6. Susie, Oh

Since he is talking about getting his family involved, which family, his first, the second one he committed adultery with, oh I am sorry, he is a christian NOW and can preach to us sinners who support President Obama. Sorry, Newty. And please bring me the socialistic health service that I have paid for all of you to have. How dare me.

March 6, 2009 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  7. paul oregon

another member of the grand old party of NO i probably will or i proably won"t sounds like palin talking. ihope hes cleared this with the grand pooh pooh limbaugh

March 6, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  8. Expat American

Freddy March 6th, 2009 12:35 pm ET
    Ah, yes. The supposedly "progressive and tolerant" liberals are expressing their racist bigotry yet again. Keep up the rhetoric, libs, and help ensure a Conservative victory in 2010 and 2012.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Take a look at the hundreds of videos of McCain/Palin conservative voters 'just being themselves' during the campaign.

By all means, keep showing the global media that poor white trash slack jaw 'Deliverance' bigots/conservatives still exist in the United States in 2009.

March 6, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  9. Socialist Boogyman

I love the new line of b.s. the GOP is pushing, trying to say the liberals are 'racists', lol, that we're all going to be standing in bread lines (as opposed to grocery store lines) and that we are now all a bunch of socialists, lol! Since when did the GOP start taking it's cues from Alex Jones, et al.?

March 6, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. Ray El Paso, TX

Newt and the republicans treat America like their wives. They tell them I love you and then turn right around and cheat on them.

March 6, 2009 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. And it grows and grows.....

Obama will run the country so far down by 2012, anyone running against him will win easily. Maybe its time for an Independent.

March 6, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  12. D

Would love to see Newt debate Obama on the issues.

March 6, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  13. Ohio voter

Bring on Newt. If I remember correctly, he has been married three times and divorced twice. What was that House banking scandal that forced him to resign his leadership post in the House????????? He bounced 22 checks, if I remember correctly. I believe he also was behind in his child support.
    Newt Gingrich sounds like the perfect Republican candidate!!!!

March 6, 2009 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  14. kaz

What about Newt's moral values ?, he was having afair when trying to impeach president Clinton.

March 6, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  15. Dawn

Hey Kevin in Ohio, i would rather be a socialist, than living in a dictatorship, which we did have for 8 years. You call Obama a Socialist, look up the meaning.

He was in Columbus to talk about a recuit of Police officers that would have been laid-off before they even started. That is what this Socialist is doing. Think before you speak.

The neocons out there say about Obama highjacking the Constitution, think back to the Bush Administration, they did just that. Took away our rights and how do we know that he would not go back to that time, remember Newt was speaker of the house during the early years of Bush.

March 6, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  16. DC in New York City

I hope we can hang on until 2012.

March 6, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  17. Andi

OMG! I almost fell out of my chair laughing! The poster who made the 'we're getting the band back together' is hilarious.

Listen, people do remember Newt from 1994's "Contract With America". Hopefully, someone will take Newt aside and remind him why he should not run. It would be a disaster for the GOP. Then again, they wouldn't know disaster if it was.....well, let's just say.....happening right now????

hoooohaahahahahahaha

March 6, 2009 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. Steph

But wait...isn't the GOP attempting to be hip and multicultural?

March 6, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  19. C W

Newt Gingrich:

– The man who served divorce papers on his wife while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery.

– The man who shut down the Federal government for the first time in history because he wasn't invited to sit in the front of the plane when traveling to Israel for Yitzhak Rabin's funeral (even Tom DeLay agreed this was the "mistake of his life").

– The man who had 84 ethics charges filed against him, including charges of violating federal tax laws.

– The man who became so toxic a political liability, his own party booted him out of the House Speaker position.

Sounds like the GOP is really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one ...

March 6, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  20. Kim

Oh, goody!!! If he decides to run (i.e. if it's "necessary", whatever that means) I cannot wait for the discussion about his own personal hypocracy! Yeah, Mr. "Family Values", tell us about how many wives you've had, how you didn't pay child support, and your own acts iof adultry. Let alone serving your wife with divorce papers while she was suffering from cancer! And oh yes-Mr,. Family Values: just what exactly did you ever do to support any of America's families????

March 6, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. Kimberly in Arizona

To Finally~yes you would have a point if not for the fact that this LYING CHEATING PIG was the ring leader on taking Clinton to the mat, all the while he was doing the SAME THING!!!!!!! UGG, did this old fart think we would forget that? HA, I am GLAD to see yet another failure from the gop past be handed up for an arse whoopin!

March 6, 2009 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  22. chuck

WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. OBAMA WILL WIN A SECOND TERM IN 2012.

March 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  23. liz

Dear God,
    Please make Newt and Rush go away. Please? I can't take the hypocrisy and hate mongering!

March 6, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  24. sheasu

I agree with Rahm the Man when he states "We need gingrich, maybe not to win but into influence policy and fire people up." Indeed, the young generation needs to become apart of this time of history, but I'm not sure if Gingrich would be a great candidate for presidency in 2012. Even though it was an short interview, Gingrich didn't state any possible plans he would establish if he ran. He basically is going back and forth regarding if he will run in 2012, and me personally don't want to elect a president or candidate who is undecisive before he even starts to campaign. Gingrich maybe a wonderful person, but he needs to figure out what his going to do before making a public statement.

March 6, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  25. lakeside176

Look out females! If Newt gets elected, he will throw you under the bus, like he did his wife who had cancer when he divorced her. A slimeball if ever there was one.

March 6, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |