March 6th, 2009

Gingrich talks openly about running in 2012

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/06/art.gingrich.gi.jpg caption="Gingrich is mulling a White House bid in 2012."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Newt Gingrich is talking out loud about a possible run for the White House in 2012.

“Calista and I will look seriously, and we'll probably get our family totally engaged, including our two grandchildren, probably in January 2011, and we'll look seriously at whether or not we think its necessary to do it,” Gingrich told reporters in Ashland, Virginia last night, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“And if we think it's necessary we'll probably do it,” he said. “And if it isn’t necessary we probably won't do it.”

The former House Speaker told the New York Times magazine something similar in a profile published over the weekend.

“I think I’m closer to Benjamin Franklin than to George Washington,” Gingrich told the magazine. “I’m a contributor to my country and to my times. If it turns out that there’s a moment when it makes sense to run, then I’ll run. But if I end up never being able to run, then it won’t devastate me.”

Gingrich briefly flirted with the idea of running for president in 2007, telling supporters that if he could raise $30 million in a three-week period he would enter the race, but ultimately decided against entering the race.

Though he’s mulling a run, Gingrich said it may be time to pass the torch to younger crop of leaders. He told the Times-Dispatch that he sees the Republican Party “moving towards a whole new generation” and predicted that Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor, the House Minority Whip, is on the path to becoming Speaker of the House.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. bj, Texas

Our country is going down the drain. Anybody but O-duh-ma in 2012!

March 6, 2009 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  2. dk

it is a splendid idea. Newt should run. it's time we had some strong conservative leadership from the Republican party.

March 6, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  3. Chill out

Another loud mouth fool.

March 6, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  4. bob

bring it

March 6, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  5. maggiem

Please, could we have a 6 month rest from Presidential campaigning?

March 6, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. Mucho Groucho

He should run as Rush Limbaugh's VP candidate. Then we should all move to Canada. And they said Barack was the anti christ!! I think these guys would even give the anti christ the creeps. Every time I see Rush speak I expect him to pull out his cape and fangs. The guy is the most despicable man since – well, Newt Gingrich.

Mucho Groucho
    NYC

March 6, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  7. Bill

Newt Gingrich is a narrow-minded,self-absorbed megalomaniac who has never been qualified to be president . The United States needs 8 years of Barack Obama followed by 8 more years of Hillary Clinton and a Democract-controlled congress for 16 years to undo the damage caused by Bush & the Republicans.

March 6, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  8. John

Man, I can't wait to vote for the guy who after a length affair served divorce papers to his wife when she was in the hospital for cancer.

March 6, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. ran

Talk about going from bad to worst.

March 6, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  10. Howard Swint

I admire anyone who has the ambition to run for high office in this country. These are troubling times with difficult decisions ahead for us all.
    Regrettably, Mr. Gingrich had his chance as Speaker of the House and failed the country miserably with the Contract with America that produced not only broken promises across the board (e.g. term limits, fiscal responsibility) but also brought day-to-day government to a standstill.
    He simply will not be able to run on his record in the US House of Representatives – and that leaves precious little otherwise...
    The old adage that 'character is destiny' I believe applies when we look closely as to why his leadership failed in that effort.

March 6, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  11. karen-Phoenix

Is he out of his mind??? There are only about 25% of the population that is left claiming to be republican! And I can say this because I was - WAS a republican for 40 years!!! NO MORE!!! They have destroyed MY country and I pray President Obama and his team can get us out of this mess!!!

March 6, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. Mark

Gingrich is a true fiscal conservative! It was his congress that balanced the budget. Bill Clinton just signed off on it and only because of public support! All the sheep think Bill was such a economic wonder. NOT!

March 6, 2009 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  13. Mike, VA

CAN WE PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT 2012!!??? WE JUST HAD A PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!

March 6, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  14. RO

IN short, no way!

March 6, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  15. Had It

Did he get the nod of approval from Rush? Better ask.

March 6, 2009 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  16. terry maineiac

political talk for "will run only if I can win"

better check with the "leader" of the republican party first (rushbo).

March 6, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  17. Virginia

Wow - I thought this guy went away. I read one of his "what would happen if" historical fiction books about Pearl Harbor. It started out okay, but took a serious turn to the bizarre at the end. I was fortunate to be reading a library book that an elderly man had placed a note in. It stated "from here on is strictly fantasy, there was no 3rd attack on Pearl and the fuel dumps were not destroyed". I laughed and realized that Newt likes dealing in fantasy and changes facts to suit himself. I had enough of his nastiness when he was Speaker and would NEVER vote for him for President.

March 6, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. JasonK

God Help Us All if he does run. Didn't he cheat on his wife?

March 6, 2009 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  19. obama-mama

Repubs are so wishy washy

March 6, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. Tom ....... Texas

Please Run ......... We need a true conservative in the Whitehouse. But then again it might be to late to save the USA from the liberals.

March 6, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  21. David

Newt is what America needs. A man with some common sense and not idealogical extremism ruling his judgment.

March 6, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  22. simmy

What makes him think he'd be any better than Sen. McOutrage? He looks like a warlock, sounds like a reformed KKK member, and is just one notch above Limbaugh. What does he mean when he says "if he thinks it is necessary?" Does he mean "if he thinks it's necessary" to get his butt whipped worst than McOutrages?

March 6, 2009 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  23. Okie

GO NEWT!!!!! You got a vote here for sure!!!!

March 6, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  24. Accountability

Cool...he will probably be on his fourth wife by then....

March 6, 2009 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  25. Jeff W.

Wait, isn't Mr. "Family Values" the guy who served his wife divorce papers while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer? I hope the Grinch does run, it will ensure an easy victory for Obama. What is the matter with the Republicans? Can't they understand that the world has changed and we no longer want to see a bloated white man spouting ultra-conservative ideology in the White House? Hey, why not Grinch and Palin?

March 6, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |