March 6th, 2009

Gingrich talks openly about running in 2012

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/06/art.gingrich.gi.jpg caption="Gingrich is mulling a White House bid in 2012."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Newt Gingrich is talking out loud about a possible run for the White House in 2012.

“Calista and I will look seriously, and we'll probably get our family totally engaged, including our two grandchildren, probably in January 2011, and we'll look seriously at whether or not we think its necessary to do it,” Gingrich told reporters in Ashland, Virginia last night, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“And if we think it's necessary we'll probably do it,” he said. “And if it isn’t necessary we probably won't do it.”

The former House Speaker told the New York Times magazine something similar in a profile published over the weekend.

“I think I’m closer to Benjamin Franklin than to George Washington,” Gingrich told the magazine. “I’m a contributor to my country and to my times. If it turns out that there’s a moment when it makes sense to run, then I’ll run. But if I end up never being able to run, then it won’t devastate me.”

Gingrich briefly flirted with the idea of running for president in 2007, telling supporters that if he could raise $30 million in a three-week period he would enter the race, but ultimately decided against entering the race.

Though he’s mulling a run, Gingrich said it may be time to pass the torch to younger crop of leaders. He told the Times-Dispatch that he sees the Republican Party “moving towards a whole new generation” and predicted that Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor, the House Minority Whip, is on the path to becoming Speaker of the House.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. Anonymous

You have my vote Mr. Speaker!! Please run!

March 6, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Brian

I wouldn't vote for him, but I actually think he'd be the best candidate for the GOP.

March 6, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  3. Give It Up !!!

Gingrich is mulling a White House bid in 2012......Plz just say NO!!!

March 6, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  4. Freddy

And hateful liberal remarks will follow momentarily.

March 6, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  5. Doug

"if we think it's necessary"... There is no instance in all the alternative universes where Newt running, or even opening is mouth again, is necessary

March 6, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  6. AA

Awesome.

Pure conservative family values, forward thinker right there.

Can't wait for the 2012 RNC circus. Let's see now...

The Alaskan MENSA prize winner, The Newt, The guy with the magic underpants, Mr. Rogers Neighborhood (Jindal).

Oh, and I forgot they are getting progressive, so we can throw in the angry golden parachute woman (Carley), and if we get really lucky
    and the law will change the Terminator.

Have I forgotten anyone?

This is an all-star lineup of months of entertainment. I'm setting my TiVo as we speak.

Peace.

March 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  7. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Don't forget to bring your mistress Newt. This should be too funny having Newt who "contributed" to his country so hard to impeach Bill Clinton and he too had a mistress. What a joke.

March 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  8. Seattle Sue

I will always remember how Mr. Gingrich treated his first wife.

March 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  9. simp

LMAO. Please let this loser run, that means their won't be any compettition in 2012. newt is old school and not even the young repubs will vote for this clown.

March 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. Jay

I would love to see Newt run in 2012.

March 6, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  11. Ann

March 6, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  12. Susan

If it's necessary? As in, if Palin doesn't get her act together, or Mitt gets too centrist, or Rush isn't available? And how will he cover up his past pecadillos, the ones that got him on the wrong side of the base? If he had been paying attention, McCain's one divorce cost him support; Gingrich has two. But go ahead, keep that conservative mantra out there...just remember, conservative policies got us into this mess, and no one expects Obama to be able to fix it in 8 weeks! (Except Hannity and Rush, and Pat Buchanon, of course.)

March 6, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  13. Rorschach

Dear Newt:

Who cares?

Signed, America

March 6, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  14. pat, florida

I'm watching the morning news as always-poor heidi every question she has asked the guests today, shifted all around but never answered. it's what's wrong with government today, it's time for all of congress and lawmakers to do it right for the first time in their elected careers. our country is in trouble people, do what you were elected to do forget about pet projects and what's in it for you. pretty soon you will not have to worry no one will be working and paying taxes and you will not have to fight over the tax money comeing into the government.

March 6, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  15. Caroline

I literally cannot even think about this possibility...it makes me shudder. If Newt were to ever get elected....I'm really moving to another country.

March 6, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  16. Farnk, Las Vegas

Oh please! His time has come and gone. Doesn't anyone remember why he left? In scandal. On the other hand it would insure a second term for President Obama.

March 6, 2009 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  17. Obama - NOPE

Newt would be a smart, effective President.

March 6, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  18. Steve

HELL NO!

Newt is a BIG TIME closet BIGGOT. All any one has to do is listen very carefully and you can tell he's hiding it deep inside. His response at the REPUBLICAN CONVENTION to the BLACK reporter asking him question revealed his true color or lack there of.

HELL NO..HYPROCRIT. HE CRITIZED BILL CLINTON FOR BEING A CHEAT KNOWING VERY WELL HE TOO WAS NO DIFFERENT.

LIAR..

March 6, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  19. CJ in CA

If Gingrich is the best the GOP can come up with in 2012 then Obama will get re-elected easily!

March 6, 2009 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. rich

Please let him run so that the American people can finally put a nail in his coffin and spare us any further news coverage of him. Go ahead. Make our day dude.

March 6, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  21. art

please....we need new blood, not the old corrupt ones.
    You might as well vote for Nixon again.
    Say goodbye McCain, Kennedy, Byrd and the rest of the fossil club
    enjoy your billions while its still worth something.

March 6, 2009 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. Rachelraye49 - MD

Please Newt don't waste your time. Your politics are truly a thing of the past.

March 6, 2009 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  23. Joe M

Never thought I'd say this, but Newt would be a relief in 2012. Probably can't win, but would stand up to Limbaugh. Let's see as Sarah "Palins" in comparison.

March 6, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  24. Bill or Vin from Philly

the recycled family man who cheated on his wives, bring em on

March 6, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  25. Jobless

Gingrich / Limbaugh 2012 ! ! ! The only team that can unite the country with fresh new leadership and avoid gridlock in Congress.

March 6, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |