March 6th, 2009

Gingrich talks openly about running in 2012

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/06/art.gingrich.gi.jpg caption="Gingrich is mulling a White House bid in 2012."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Newt Gingrich is talking out loud about a possible run for the White House in 2012.

“Calista and I will look seriously, and we'll probably get our family totally engaged, including our two grandchildren, probably in January 2011, and we'll look seriously at whether or not we think its necessary to do it,” Gingrich told reporters in Ashland, Virginia last night, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

“And if we think it's necessary we'll probably do it,” he said. “And if it isn’t necessary we probably won't do it.”

The former House Speaker told the New York Times magazine something similar in a profile published over the weekend.

“I think I’m closer to Benjamin Franklin than to George Washington,” Gingrich told the magazine. “I’m a contributor to my country and to my times. If it turns out that there’s a moment when it makes sense to run, then I’ll run. But if I end up never being able to run, then it won’t devastate me.”

Gingrich briefly flirted with the idea of running for president in 2007, telling supporters that if he could raise $30 million in a three-week period he would enter the race, but ultimately decided against entering the race.

Though he’s mulling a run, Gingrich said it may be time to pass the torch to younger crop of leaders. He told the Times-Dispatch that he sees the Republican Party “moving towards a whole new generation” and predicted that Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor, the House Minority Whip, is on the path to becoming Speaker of the House.

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. Joe

Gingrich' "negatives" are so high because he is a bad-tempered and caustic individual. Regardless of his political views, he's not the right personality for the WH. He's a natural outsider, leading the angry and displaced as a mob.

March 6, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  2. badger

What makes this guy think anyone would want him. He was thrown out of Congress, the contract with America was a farce, he's a has been for the last 15 years. When he went after Clinton, wasn't he having an affair at the same time?

March 6, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  3. Saad from NJ

When compared with Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Hannity or Dick Cheney, Gingrich sounds to be a saint. Otherwise, he is terrible.

March 6, 2009 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  4. John in Arizona

How dumb!!! Newt Gingrich's ego has taken over! He obviously has a firm belief in lost causes.

March 6, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  5. Dan Hendrix

Run Newt run. Maybe then you can find out how popular you are. Last time I checked when your name came up, people did not like it. I don't know why, I got a good idea but.... Run run run. Our economy needs the money being exchanged

March 6, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  6. afton421

Gingrich would be an excellent choice to have. He has ideas that are logical, common sense, and represent real change for every citizen. I hope he runs. As a country we need to evolve from Demecrat and Republican to "who will do the best job for the people". This man, I believe has the talent to do it.

March 6, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. keeth in california

Benjamin Franklin chased many women, too, but he never left his first wife while she was laid up with cancer in the hospital to marry his second. And he never cheated on his second wife with a Congressional aide and then married her, his third wife. Newt, you are absolutely no Benjamin Franklin. That's insulting to Franklin and our great history.

March 6, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  8. fideauxdon

The GOP, that party of values, would consider a serial philanderer as their candidate? It wouldn't surprise me. Why not also consider Rush Limbaugh, a thrice (at least) married, and convicted drug user as his running mate?
    Talk about "do as I see, and not as I do!".

March 6, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  9. bill

If you want a womanizer who cheated on his wife, committed ethics violations and lost his speaker post in the house because of his indisretions, then he is your man for the job.

He fits right in with most members of Congress.

March 6, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  10. Jenny

The author of the "contract on America" and the hypocrite who trumped up an impeachment charge based on infidelity while he was cheating on his terminally ill wife is going to be running for federal office?

Good, America will finally get a chance to strike back.

Go away Newt; your self-promoting, elitist obstructionism was bad for America before and we don't need it back.

Looking forward in '12.

March 6, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. Mark

Gingrich would be a tough sell. Even to his own party. In spite of the fact his opinion is sought by a great number of networks, mainly Fox, he is still not liked that much by the majority of Americans.

Mark
    Eugene,OR

March 6, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. Ross Pugentry

This country seems to presently be jumping out of one frying pan, into another, then back again...seems as though musical incompetent presidents is in vogue now or that is what we are looking at. The best thing to do would be to stop spending money and let people all go into business on their own, doing the thing they can do best...forget jobs and forget a longwinded government that is driving this country to HELL!!!

March 6, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Willy G

The real question is how Newt and Rush get along. Otherwise Newt is just spitting into the wind.

March 6, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Nancy - Houston

Oh joy; another Limbaugh!!

March 6, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. GOP'd

I used to respect Newt until he turned out to be another GOP hypocrite, persecuting someone santimonously while he was engaged in his own affair. I could no longer trust him after that, especially for the highest office in the country. No thank you.

March 6, 2009 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  16. Jon Stewart

Republican's family values continue ... didn't this guy sleep with his school teacher!! I love this conservative crappy values.

March 6, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  17. Merle

Good for him...whatever he decides, then good for him.

March 6, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  18. I am Micheal Spineless Steele and I just kissed Rush Limbaugh behind

The republiklans are always fond of presenting candidates who have marital problems, been married several times, candidates like Pain-lin with pregnant teenage daughters, cheating spouses like Newt Gingrich who was cheating on his wife with Carlista, that he is now married to!

The hypocrisy of the republiklans and Newt Gingrich cheating on his wife with Carlista, while attacking Bill Clinton for the Monica fiasco is mind boggling!

The audacity of the republiklans to swear by the bible, stay on drugs like Rush Limbaugh and talk of family values and abortion, while denigrating women, spewing hate & bigotry is a bad leadership model for any American to follow let alone vote for!

Finally, it's time to lay to rest the GOP!

March 6, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  19. Finally!

Please, Mr. Gingrich, run for POTUS! Our country needs you!

Now, I'm certain the libs are going to bash, about marriage infidelity and what not. Probably the only thing they can do.

I say... take a look at John Edwards, Bill Clinton, and the rest. He who is without sin cast the first stone.

Mr. Gingrich, your common sense, inteligence, and fiscal responsibility is the shot in the arm that America needs.

PLEASE run for POTUS!

March 6, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  20. Chris, Albany NY

I'm to young to remember this guy, but.....his first name is newt...HAHA.....LOL!!!

March 6, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  21. Ernest from MD

Loser.

March 6, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  22. David in Dallas

I am a loyal Democrat and oppose many of Speaker Gingrich's political positions on various issues. However, I respect him because he actually stands for something. Whatever one's feeling about his politics, I think many people admire him for his convictions. I don't want the Republicans to win in 2012, but I believe Mr. Gingrich would be a formidable opponent to President Obama, or any other Democratic party nominee in 2012.

March 6, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  23. Mike

Be scared Obama. He has innovative policy ideas and EXPERIENCE. Gingrich in 2012!!!

March 6, 2009 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  24. Lea

I guess I should have addressed the subject at hand. I am just trying to get the word out about disability. We have a President now what is all this garbage bringing up the next election. Just like everyting else it is a political ploy. Shut up everyone who even wants to get into this subject we do not want to hear you.
    Lea

March 6, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  25. win by a true landslide!!

Gingrich / Huckabee 2012!!!!!

March 6, 2009 10:26 am at 10:26 am |