March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. demwit

Wow CNN! What an informative article!!

March 9, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  2. NewBlueRI

GO, MEGHAN!!! Right on target!

March 9, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  3. Joshua College Station Texas

Wow–McCain laughs off his daughter's complaints as examples of childishness.

It seems to me that her observations are rather the wisdom of youth, the clarity of a young and unfettered mind. How does it go? Out of the mouths of babes...?

March 9, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  4. Mari

I agree with Meghan McCain, Coulter is "offensive and insulting"!

Coulter "claims" to be a Christian, I wonder what part of Jesus' Great Commandment "LOVE ONE ANOTHER AS I HAVE LOVED YOU"........ does Coulter not understand?

Coulter is plain evil.

March 9, 2009 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  5. Matt, CT

Thanks Meghan, but I "straight up" don't care what the daughter of a former presidential candidate has to say.

March 9, 2009 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  6. tony

I like this Meghan McCain!! Her dad should've put her on the ticket instead of Palin!!! LOL!!!

March 9, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  7. Web Thomas

You got that right!!!

March 9, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. Mariah

I completely agree with Meghan McCain. Ann Coulter is the female version of Rush Limbaugh. Neither one actually cares about this country. They just spew their hatred, vile, and filth to earn a buck.

March 9, 2009 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  9. Esther

I'm starting to think Meghan McCain is one of the few people who could actually salvage the republican party.

March 9, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  10. Steve from Florida

Daddy would have been better off selecting Meghan as his running mate than Palin. She seems like a breath of fresh air! Wow! Better check her DNA...

March 9, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  11. Ezri

Hah! Go Meghan, well said! It'd be wonderful if more Republican woman used her as a role model, over the divisive Coulter!

March 9, 2009 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  12. Valerie

get a life Meghan. you're only being heard because your father ran for president. Ann Coulter is offensive, yes, but we have the 1st Amendment, and that protects free speech. you may not like what she says, but you don't have to listen to her if you do not want to. you have the right to turn the channel.

March 9, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  13. David from VA

Man this girl sure gets a lot of attention.... She should rip Rush Limbaugh next, that will be good for some press. Nice job praising Obama, but should save that for a separate time instead of including it in a rip of Ann Coulter. That way she can maximize her press time. All in all, nice work Meghan McCain and CNN – nice little hit on the Republicans for a Monday morning.

March 9, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  14. Kimberly in Arizona

Good for her...I really like this woman. She only became a republican out of respect for her father, but clearly does NOT practice his views or any other wacked out fringe ideals. She blasted palin, and now coulter. I think she is the new face of the republicans if they are lucky!!! And YES people she is a WOMAN, NOT A GIRL! It ills me to see repukes call her a girl...Sad!

March 9, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  15. former republican

Wow...thanks Meghan! I couldn't agree with you more. Its people like Ann Coulter and Rush that will continue to drive the young people away from the Republican Party.

March 9, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  16. Jim

Meghan does not realize the hippest potlician is stealing her rights and property right from her under her nose. Like many youths, her mind is weak because it is caught up in the moment like Hollywood wants it to. She does not understand why people hold different positions. Only after having a real job, having a family and dealing with personal real crisis will she grow up. I suspect she voted for the annointed one. I recommend she try out her free speech rights by blasting Obama-then she would get a real life lesson in what is really going on....

March 9, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  17. John, Florida

I am starting to like this young lady more and more each day. I am with her on Ann Coulter and to put it frankly, I cannot even stand to look at that woman for a split second. It is evident that Ms. McCain gets and understands the mood of the country and the way to the future. I totally dig her...

March 9, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  18. Nick

Exactly why the youth didn't follow McCain, he laughs at them.

March 9, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  19. Amy

Kudos to Meghan for saying what most Republicans are afraid to say!

We need more young, brave, intelligent, open-minded people like her in politics today.

This is the McCain Maverick we've been waiting for!

March 9, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  20. Paula

This Democrat agrees with her! Coulter is unproductive and inspires hate. I would like to hear something positive come out of her mouth for a change. Be part of the solution-not the problem.

March 9, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. Carmon

Ok, I'm starting to really like this girl. She is making a lot more since in these past couple of weeks then her father made throughout his entire campaign last year.

March 9, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  22. JSS

You are beautiful Meghan. Keep speaking your mind. If you and women like you come to represent Republican woman, we will all be better off. No one benefits from the anger and hatred perpetuated by Ann Coulter.

March 9, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  23. Jim, Burlington NC

OK, now this is a Republican that makes sense.

March 9, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  24. Perspicacious Chicagoan

If Ann Coulter was Muslim and brown, her hate speech would have her confined to Gitmo.

March 9, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  25. mk

How upside crazy is the world of politics that McCain's daughter has more courage to stand up to the likes or vile Coulter than do the Dems, Repubs and main stream media??? Good for Meghan, bad for the state of our politics. Are you listening, Boehner, Cantor, Reid & Pelosi????

March 9, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |