March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Erick in ala

WOW! I'm glad that there is a Republican around willing ot recognize their party's problems and those that fuel them.Coulter is a joke and extremely radical.You know Meghan was a registered Independent prior to the 2008 elections.She changed on her dads birthday as a gift and to show she would vote for him. Meghan is cool by me, not so sure about her moms and pops.

March 9, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. Clay

Thank you, Meghan.

March 9, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  3. Laverne

sounds like she has more sense that her dad and other old geezers in the republican party! It is going to take young republicans who speak with reason to revive this party other than that people are going to drop them like a bad transmission!

March 9, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  4. BR549

Seriously...why should any of us care what Meghan McCain thinks? We are talking about a girl who travels to her multiple homes in a private jet, NOT someone who has rolled the dice and started a business with their life savings or fed the poor in Africa for cryin' out loud!!!

With regards to Ann Coulter, she is by far the biggest "bomb thrower" on right, but the controversial things she has said are no less provacative than what Bill Maher, Al Franken and Randi Rhodes have written/said....the only difference is that when Coulter says them, they are "hate speech" and when the left says them they are "satire".

Give me a break!

March 9, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  5. Sylvia

Go Mehgan! The world has no place for hate. You will make a great public figure, one of dignity, sincerity and truth. Keep it up!

March 9, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  6. Kristen

I can't stand Coulter either. As a Republican, I am insulted by her hateful, bashing, obnoxious behavior. Meghan is right – Coulter is a train wreck and one of the thorns in the Republican party's side.

March 9, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. Willy G

If people like Meghan McCain could wrestle control of the Republican Party from the likes of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter, there might be hope for it yet.

March 9, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  8. N Stone

The most leadership and honesty exhibited by a republican in years, or by a politician for that matter. The republicans had better find a few more like her that are willing to stand up to the propagandist who relay on misinformation and deceit, (Coulter, Limbaugh, Hannity, O’Reilly) with out a solution among them or they will become even more irrelevant than they are today.

March 9, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  9. Jim

Keep up the good work, Meghan. It isn't the positions of that wing of the party that are offensive, it is their absolute anti-inellectualism.

March 9, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  10. Tnudo

I think it was a tremendous risk for Ms. McCain to speak her mind about politics.
    However I truly hope this is new face of American Politics. This is the first time I have been able to relate and understand commentary on politics for some time. I often listen to concervatives and wonder "is this really how people see the world?' However, when I listen to young Ms. McCain I feel like i can trust her. Perhaps because she is to uninvolved in politics to be tainted yet.

March 9, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  11. Sorry Rush

You know this could not be a better time for this country....
    1. First African American president
    2. Bush is in exile
    3. Cheaney is with him
    4. Limbaugh is the republican leader appointed by Pres. Obama
    5. Michael Steele is waiting for Rush to adopt him
    6. Ann Coulture is getting called out by Meghan Mccain

March 9, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  12. Jason

I am a life long Democrat and find many issues with the Republican Party. However, if the Republican Party wants to find themselves in power again – they need to get back in touch with the American people. In some cases they are so lofty in their way of thinking and even extremists – that they have lost touch with the large percentage of moderates in our country. It's people like Ann Coulter that are, I think, really hurting the party. She is old school and it's time for a change in the RP. Get some young people in this fossilized party and rejuvenate it...it is what the party needs.

March 9, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  13. Ryan

Wow... I would have thought she was surely raised to be completely ignorant but now I'm pleasantly surprised. Whoever heard of a progressive Republican??

Nice.

March 9, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  14. Charles

Impressive..Most Impressive. I'm a democrat who would vote for her.

March 9, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  15. JimS.

Meghan, there IS a place for your dream....it's called the Democratic Party. The problem is that the old-guard Republican party would rather die than agree that the Democrats are right about anything.

Conservative Democrats are way closer to the reality that reasonable Republicans dream about, than liberal or moderate Republicans are. As long as that persists, the Republicans won't inspire young people.

March 9, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  16. you go girl!!

That was really a good article. Now the question is, will people like AnnColter, Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity get it? It is not what you say it is DEFINTELY how you say it. President Obama spoke to people not AT them. Until that changes in the Republican Party, you won't ever have the diversity to win.

Good Job, Meghan!! Your dad should be proud.

March 9, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  17. Treid

Meghan also states the obvious , Obama is "the hippest politician around." Once this fad goes away as all fads do, the young and uninformed will realize that President Obama is nothing more than a big spending liberal selling pie in the sky. Coulter is an idiot but she does state the obvious; entitlement programs have a cost and someone has to pay for them.
    Like it or not, at the end of the day, your taxes are going up.

And before you bash me as a Republican, I voted for the "hippest polictician." I just wish he would do what he promised.

March 9, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  18. Meredith

Thank you, I think Ann Coulter is disgusting and also not very well informed on the issues. She is just good at getting hate pumped up.

March 9, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  19. Max Pargament

Meghan Mccain, GOOD FOR YOU. Its so great to see a republican who isn't a closed minded idiot. I'm pretty liberal on most issues but always maintain an open mind. Republicans like her and Ron Paul are what the Right needs. You guys need to stop focusing on your love/hate relationships:

Hate- Immigrants/Taxes/Helping the poor
    Love- the american flag and national anthem and war.

The rights arguments are outdated and need a new face. I actually wish any republican good luck who thinks like her and Ron Paul!

March 9, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  20. Craig Nazor

I applaud her honesty, candor, and common sense. Young people are our future, which older people too often forget. It's nice to see that good ones come in all political parties, and that at least a few are not afraid to think and speak their own thoughts.

March 9, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  21. Rudy

I'm not a Republican, but I love Meghan for speaking her mind. You go girl! She's one smart blonde.

March 9, 2009 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  22. cmc

Good for her, at least there is one Republican with a brain, and think for herself, and not afraid to speak her mind. Maybe some of the "older, whit e-haired" republicans will figure this out.

March 9, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  23. Don

Megan is exactly what the Republican party needs. She has more intelligence than anyone that I've seen in that party in todays environment. She is the only one that has what it takes to truely say it like it is, regardless of party affiliation. She is what the party needed as a canidate. She can compliment the president without bias and talk about the true character of Ann Coulter. This is one cool gal.

March 9, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  24. Dieter Zerressen, Denver, CO

As a Democrat I understand the need for a loyal opposition party but the present party of Limbaugh, Coulter, Hannity and O'Reilly will never make it. If Megan can get some level-headed conservatives to take back their party and present some real, not knee-jerk, alternative policies that could work for all Americans, not just the top 5%, then there might be a future the the Republicans. Good luck with that!

March 9, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  25. Ron

Ann Coulter – a Christian??? You have got to be kidding. She is just out to be as obnoxious as possible (and she is sure exceeding at that), just so she can make money, money, money. After all, isn't that the American way?

March 9, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |