March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Michael "C" Lorton, Virginia

Is Megan the new rising star for the GOP---move aside Jindal.

March 9, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. Grimm

Meghan seems to think like the original Republican Party used to. The fact that the pendant on her necklace appears to be a picture of President Lincoln leads me to believe that she is one of the few real Republicans. Though I would encourage her to choose her words more carefully. You don't want to come off as being the very thing you have issue with.

March 9, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  3. BB

Go Meghan. She's smart, not dumb. Yes, the "Pubs should cultivate women like her- far, far, far more effective than Cantor and Jindal. As long as they maintain their own point of view and don't bend over for the male domination.

March 9, 2009 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  4. Cynthia

I guess even when you aren't saying anything of any substance, you can still get it published in the news media....wow, now isn't that surprising? Meagan, young adults like you give Republicans a bad name, sit down and chat with your father a while and gain some real knowledge about politics and what the Republican Party really stands for...for now, PLEASE be quiet.

March 9, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  5. ShawnT

Ok, I now like Meghan McCain.

March 9, 2009 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  6. Alicia

She's a sharp cookie, outspoken and fearless. Good for her for taking on those blowhards who are hijacking the Republican party...

March 9, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  7. David Newport, OR

We have room on this side for intelligence...would you like a chair?

March 9, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  8. Claire

Way to go Meghan. "Speak the truth and shame the devil"

March 9, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  9. Texas Proud!

Wow CNN, of all the important things that are going on in this world it sure is nice to know you focus on the really important stuff. After all, I couldn't sleep nights if I didn't know what was going on in Meghan McCains love life and how she feels about Ann Coulter.

Gee, thanks CNN for reporting this hard hitting news!!

March 9, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  10. AK

So Meghan McCain is the first Republican with the guts to stand up to the ideologues ...

March 9, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  11. Brett

Good for Meghan. She is simply speaking the truth. I am a Democrat and probably always will be but she is talking some since. She is being honest. She speaks her mind. Maybe she has a future in politics. I have to say if she continued to be pragmatic and honest I would consider voting for her. The Republicans need people like her. They are looking more and more radical everyday with Coulter and Limbaugh out there making fools of themselves.

March 9, 2009 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  12. lovable liberal

My dad's not famous enough to get so much attention to my blog. But as long as Meghan keeps saying such intelligent things as this, I'm definitely fine with that.

March 9, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  13. Sue

If more Republicans publicly distanced themselves from Coulter and her ilk perhaps they would start winning back the respect they've lost. And you know what they say–negative attention is better than no attention. The rest of us have to stop giving Coulter the attention she so obviously craves.

March 9, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  14. Mo

You go, girl!

March 9, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  15. Oh Finally..

Now i see hope in politics again. Karl Rove and Rush politics will be out the window. No more fear and propaganda just positive, educational and uplifiting debates about building our country. Republicans VS Democrats vs independents in a positive way not against each other.

March 9, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  16. Anonymous

She's young, but she seems to be on track here. If she keeps this up, she can be a good voice for the youth Republican party. And this is coming from a Democrat here!

March 9, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  17. D.

I just find it funny about how worked up people on the internet get about some fairly mild positions. Nobody is talking about fascism, first amendment rights, and the people here who are wouldn't if they didn't have the anonymity of the internet. Obama is cool, being a republican is still lame if you're under 35, and most of what Ann Coulter says is unnecessary and needlessly inflammatory. Also rain is wet and the sun is bright. Any more questions?

That said, I think I'm in love.

March 9, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  18. L.Maddox

Oh, good for you Meghan...you obviously are much smarter than so many of the tight conservatives that are in the Republican party! I give you a big thumbs up on your comments. And I might add, everytime I hear Rush or Coulter spew their hatred, I spit up a little in my mouth! I think we could all give them the award of being the most hateful, hate-mongers of the year award.

March 9, 2009 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  19. angie

March 9, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  20. BJ

Meaghan, you are one Republican who is honest about which people are problems for the party. You are not just a sheep. At least you can see what evil some of these people are spewing.

March 9, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  21. steve from az

Megan, thank you for helping to salvage what is left of az's stature. It's both refreshing and welcomed. Thanks for speaking out.

March 9, 2009 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  22. Ya_Ya

Megan McCain, my new hero. Her father, probably should have consulted with her more during the campaign.

March 9, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  23. Henry Maxwell

Well at least someone inthe GOP gets it!

March 9, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  24. Ryan

Valerie, you do realize that the first amendment also protects Meghan's right to criticize public figures, right? Many conservative hypocrites believe the first amendment only works out in their favor.

March 9, 2009 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  25. JIM WHITTAKER, Hemet, CA

Of course Ann Coulter is offensive and insulting!

That's her appeal!