March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Bryce

Wow. More vapid, ill-advised comments from Meghan McCain. She's becoming the modern day version of Martha Mitchell. Somebody needs to tell her that her 15 minutes are up

March 9, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  2. carolina

I admire her honesty.

March 9, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  3. David Edmondson

If she ran for political office, I would seriously take a look at the GOP!

March 9, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  4. Chris, Oakbrook Terrace, IL

God bless Meghan McCain for finally coming out at saying it. I'm not saying she should be the new voice of the Republican Party, but it's about time someone called the extremests of the party on all the crap they try and pull. Moderate Republicans unite. Bring back the party of Lincoln and T. Roosevelt!

March 9, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  5. dahoov2

In these times of a more liberal country, it's not always the best to be the conservative who is drawing negative attention as she does. Regardless of what she says, she needs to start towing the line; they need sugar and spice now in conservative land if they are ever going to be taken seriously and not looked at so negatively.

When will Politicians learn: Balance is the only way.

March 9, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  6. Laura, Boston

Could Meghan be the Republican Parties future? It takes guts to stand up to Ann Coulter; the female version of Rush Windbaugh I mean Limbaugh.

Way to go Meghan and don't worry a pretty girl like yourself will land a great guy. Your young...be patient and take your time.

March 9, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  7. once upon a horse

Is Meghan a registered Republican? If she is then perhaps SHE should be the head of the GOP instead of Steele and certainly instead of Rush!

March 9, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  8. Accountability

Sounds like she's the real maverick in the household. Go Meghan!

March 9, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  9. Faith

I don't understand meghan calling Obama a hip politician and republicans not getting upset at that??? I like Ann Coulter, she shoots straight and people don't always like to hear that .

March 9, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  10. Fred Flynstone

Where did this bright, thoughtful, and honest woman come from? Must be adopted!

March 9, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  11. Chris - Denver

Wait, why do we suddenly care what Meghan McCain says about anything? She's right, of course, but who really cares what she thinks?

March 9, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  12. Adriana RM Atlanta

THank You Meghan.

March 9, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  13. Donna

WOW. While I may not care for John McCain or his views or politics, OR his comments about his daughter's lovelife, but I sure am impressed with Megan's take on Ms Coulter. She shows alot of wisdom here without being offensive or silly. I'm sure Ann will have a comeback that will prove Megan is absolutely right about her!

March 9, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  14. gerry

Looks like Megan has inherited a trait her dad used to have. Stright talking.

March 9, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  15. LAURA

Meghan appears to be a lovely young lady and I'm sure her parents are very proud of her. CNN is exploiting her youth and naivete to publicize this man-bites-dog trifle: the offspring of a prominent Republican dissing her dad's party.

I would hope that someone who cares about Meghan would clue her in that she does no one any good, least of all herself, with all her addle-headed comments in recent days.

Her focus should be on using her extraordinary advantages to accomplish someting equally extraordinary in her own name.

March 9, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  16. obama-mama

Meghan you hit the nail on the head. She's her own woman. Ann Coulter needs a slap across the face.

March 9, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  17. paul oregon

wonder if daddy mccain will be apologizing to russ limbaugh today???? a repub. that appears not to be afraid to speak her mind.
    wonder how long thats going to last????

March 9, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  18. Harmony

I like the daughter way more than I like the dad...politically, speaking.

March 9, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  19. KC

I don't want a "hip" president. I want a president who knows what he is doing. So far Obama doesn't. As to Megan McCain's opinion. Well, let's see a rich girl who has never had to work a day in her life. A girl who doesn't know what it means to lose everything you have because of idiot politicians. Yeah, not a fan of Megan McCain....I think she is too full of self importance.....not much different than Ann Coulter.

March 9, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  20. JoN

I think it just proves how far to the right the Republican Party has swung. Gone are the days of the moderate republicans. If you even breathe the slighest breath of moderation you are labelled a tax and spend liberal, a "Socialist", or the funniest I have heard yet a "Marxist" Gzzzz man who are these people kidding? Until the republican party finds its center you are not going to see another republican administration. Down with the radicals "Muslim" and "Republican"

March 9, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  21. E

I'm a Dem and voted for Obama but I'm starting to like this little miss McCain. She has a lot more backbone than many of the elders in her party. Now this is how you revive a Party.

March 9, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  22. greg in jax

i heart meghan mccain,, heck, i heart any republican that can tell off the dangerously divisive coulter and limbaugh.. and i am as progressively democrat as they come.. but even i understand,, the only way that our country will move out of this recession, is if we work together and not ignite divisive riots.. but the likes of coulter and limbaugh dont think that way, nor do they care if my opinion, and born , bred and taxpaying american gets his seat at the table, and in 2009, that is just not going to fly in my book.

March 9, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  23. scott_mich

Meghan, . . . stick with it ,get some experience under your belt , and in a couple of years you could be one of the much needed Leaders of the Republican Party . . .

March 9, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  24. RUSH

There may be hope for the future Republican party.

March 9, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  25. Hope

Meghan , you are correct.
    Ms. Coulter is an extremist not worthy of publicity she is getting.
    However , thank to the media giving her opportunity so she can use it to advertise her " BOOKS" ( BIG GARBAGE), wonder who is reading it anyhow.

March 9, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |