March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Justin

If more republicans thought like this, I might have kept my vote with the party

March 9, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  2. Frank

Wow, this young lady is alot more informed and concern that many of the political junkies. To the gentlemen that stated Obama will take away our rights, the former Bush already did that with his cronies. Why don't you work with many of us to get these rights restored to the point where no one is afraid to speak up. Unfortunately, only individuals like this Coulter lady and Rush can exercise this right. Where is the fairness?

March 9, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. katiec

It seems to be a slow news day, but have to admit am glad to see a republican speak the truth for once.
    Hate, anger, division of our country is supported by the republican party and they are thrilled by spokespeople such as Limbaugh and Coulter. The republicans support the failure of President Obama and our country, but cannot voice this so hide behind their hypocrasy and let the unAmerican idiots speak for them.
    Keep self destructing hypocrits, it would not happen to more deserving politicians.

March 9, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. AndyB

Who cares what Megan McCain says other than the irrelevant liberal media?

March 9, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  5. Belle1

Oh brother....I'm a Democrat and I have heard worse vitriol from fellow Democrats than Rush and Coulter combined....

March 9, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  6. NotRepNorDem

Man, Meghan, you are one self-centered, holier-than-thou daughter of a Barbie Wannabe and a dirty old geezer, and you have the gall to say these things about some people who have actually done something with life – like work. You need to go back under the rock you were born under and stay there with mummy and doddy.

March 9, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  7. Laughing

wow.. a smart Republican.. that's can't last long

March 9, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  8. BB

Good for Meghan McCain! She has done more for her (dad's) party than anyone else in years. If only they would all speak the truth. Meghan is a great role model for any young person who is educating themselves on the political parties.

March 9, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  9. zach

I guess apples can fall far from the tree.

March 9, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  10. alvino

It had to be hard for Meghan to grow up being surrounded by the party of hate. This is the first time I heard "straight talk" from a McCain.

March 9, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  11. karen-Phoenix

Good for you Megan!!! Can't stand Ann Coulter!!! Megan is headed down the same road as Stephanie Miller did!!! Dad ran for VP with Goldwater and now Stephanie is one of the top Progressive radio commentators!!!

March 9, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  12. Betty Boop

Another Republican who is afraid to stand up to the liberals now that they are in power. Easier to bash conservatives and get your 15 minutes of fame.
    Now that's courage (Sad)

March 9, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  13. phoenix86

Just goes to show that young republicans can be just as shallow as young democrats.

March 9, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  14. robe

Finally someone with common sense is talking. I agree with Meaghan McCain....Now is time to Rip apart Rush Limbough and Meaghan will be the next Republican Party Leader...

March 9, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  15. Barry U. Headinsand

I agree with her about Coulter.
    Ann Coulter herself isn't the problem, though. It's the nimrods who buy her books. They're like the ghouls who drive slowly past car accidents, hoping to see body parts and blood. If they could learn to distinguish legitimate political analysis and commentary from Coulter's look-how-low-I-can-stoop-now-watch-me-bite-the-head-off-a-chicken brand of infotainment, this world would be a better, more beautiful place.

March 9, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  16. Kaye -Jacksonville FL

I'm an Obama voter and supporter – but not a rabid Republican hater. I find Coulter, Limbaugh, Hannity, and their ilk very disturbing and don't believe they represent the true conservative perspective. They are TV/Radio personalities promoting their own status and income. If more Republicans renounced those people as the voice of the GOP, the party might stand a chance of being heard. But those in ELECTED positions are terrified to offend, fearing the loss of the far-right base. Notice how folks like Meghan McCain, David Frum, David Brooks, Newt Gingrich are speaking out against the blathering ranters?? They most likely represent the future of the GOP – but who will listen to them?

March 9, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  17. robe

Finally someone with common sense is talking from the Republican Party. I agree with Meaghan McCain....Now is time to Rip apart Rush Limbough and Meaghan will be the next Republican Party Leader...

March 9, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  18. Dan

We are in a really sad state right now in the U.S. The amount of attention that we seem to give any celebrity with access to a microphone is shameful. I'm a Republican, and I do not consider Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh to be spokespersons for the Repbulican Party, any more than I would the Dixie Chicks or Bill Maher for the Democrats. It just pisses me off that the media can't stop tripping over themselves to report on their self-promoting activities and statements.

March 9, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  19. rubytopaz

Miss McCain and others like her, is exactly what the GOP needs to get out of the grave the last 8 years threw it in. She's the reason why when I say "Republicans are..." I correct myself and say "SOME Republicans are..."

I am a Democrat, but seeing that there are some intelligent, common sense Republicans, gives me hope that maybe some day they will be able to cooperate with Democrats and others for the greater good of the country instead of continuing their divisiveness.

March 9, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  20. JSU-TIGER99

Seem like OLE John should have pick Meghan as his running mate she seem like she have some idea up there that need to be heard by her party and she call it what it is go girl

March 9, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  21. Alicia

Meghan is absolutely correct. Coulter is the opposite of what a conservative commentator should be; she's very offensive and full of hatred.

March 9, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  22. Art Michaelson

Yes!!! The McCain girl is seeing through the dust. She is correct. If you make a split screen view on the television with Rush Limbaugh and Adolph Hitler side by side you see the exact same bombastic, frenetic, arm waving, chest pumping, bouncing behavior in both of them. Ann C and Sean H. are not much different. If the conservative Republicans do not see through this and REJECT these loud mouth sellers of hate then the Party is doomed for a long period in the DARK.

March 9, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  23. julie

I hope she doesn't have to turn around & apologize for her comments.

March 9, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. Barb

I think Magen should take charge of the Rupublican party and turn it around. They would have a better chance of gaining back some senate and congress seats

YOU GO GIRL!!!

March 9, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. charles B schwarz

I didn't vote for your dad but had I known your views then as I do now I sure would have voted for him.

March 9, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |