March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. patNY

If only the Republican Party modarated itself a bit more and shed itself of its rigid right wing social policies, and stop being hijacked by the religious nutwings, then I would consider coming back home....until then, I shall stay Democrat [after having been a republican for my first few years of voting age].

March 9, 2009 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  2. Paul - Seattle

Maybe the Republican party should take a close look at comments like this. If they really want to be a party that is not horribly out of touch in the future they should try to follow Meghan's lead and move to the center. Maybe that would help us actually get something done in Washington instead of just playing politics all the time...I mean what happened to the days when campaigning only took up the last year of your elected term???

March 9, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Dave

Heck, maybe SHE should be the head of the Republican party!!

March 9, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. jennifer

If Republicans spoke like you-–I would convert to Republicanism!!

March 9, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  5. rhoward

I just hope you won't kowtow to Lord Limbaugh and Catty Coulter when they lash at you for speaking your mind.

March 9, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  6. beckyinOhio

I like this girl!

March 9, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  7. Brielle

I'm sorry, but the only thing "republican" about Meghan McCain is the fact that she's registered with the party. On an appearance on The View during the campaign cycle, she even said that coming from Columbia University, she's very socially liberal, and doesn't agree with her father on many key issues. I think she's really a closeted liberal.

The only reason she's able to bash Coulter without republican backlash is because she has an "R" next to her name on her election ballot, even though it's clear she's a complete liberal.

March 9, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  8. Boston Irish

Why is ANY comment about anything or anyone from her considered newsworthy???? I agree with her that Ann Coulter is nothing to listen to or read about, but I don't see anything significantly newsworthy regarding Meghan either.

March 9, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. Roger

Right on, Mehgan! Ann Coulter is a despicible human being spreading her venom to anyone who will listen. Why anyone wastes their time listening to this woman is beyond me. Thank you for speaking the truth!

March 9, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  10. Taa Taa

Republicans are the epidemy of STUPID!!!!! They are definitely the party of hate, fear, hopelessness, recklessness, and unapologetic ignorance. But they preach about morals, and always talking about religion. Give me a friggin break. I am very glad to see "The Real Maverick" of the Mccain family. And yes, Megan is a lady, not a girl.

March 9, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  11. chet

I'm a 75 year old hard core Democrat who would never consider voting for a republican. Meghan, you are confusing this old man's mind. Maybe there are some Republicans who do get it. Hummmmmmmm. Keep up the good work, talk like your's not only reaches the young folks but also gets us old toots thinking anew too.

March 9, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  12. Steve

I think Megan is like most college age people...they feel like outcasts and the only way to "fit in" and win the acceptance of their peers is to think as they do.

March 9, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  13. Kerill

It will be good for this country if the Republican party can become viable again by eschewing WWF-style know-nothings like Coulter and Limbaugh. I fear that if the Republican party continues on that path, the public will perceive no alternative to the Democrats, and that will lead inexorably to a Democratic "arrogance of power" and corruption. Let's get the real Republicans to engage the Democrats in the intellectual arena, to promote thoughtful alternatives to Obama policies, and to strive for the success of this country, no matter who is currently in charge!

March 9, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  14. Steve

I think Megan is like most college age conservatives...they feel like outcasts and the only way to "fit in" and win the acceptance of their peers is to think as they do.

March 9, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. Proud Democrat

I applaud you, Meghan, for speaking out against your party in a constructive manner. You're showing that you've got something that much of your party lacks right now – integrity.

March 9, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  16. TyWebb

She is just now figuring that out?

March 9, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  17. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

Meghan is a RINO.

Republican in name only.

If her daddy-o wasn't running for President she would have joined the Dems.

There is always tomorrow Meghan. Get with the program!

March 9, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  18. Ana

I like Meghan McCain. She sounds like a smart woman and I, for one, have never liked that shrewish harpy named Ann Coulter. She has always struck me as a close-minded, oppressive person. I think what's more annoying, though, is her father's response to her "romantic difficulties". It sounded kind of patronizing, as if he was just humoring her.

March 9, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  19. Moe, NY

Kudos Meghan for speaking the truth. I just hope you do not have to issue an apology tomorrow.

March 9, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  20. Troy

Nice! Well said. Way to put that old, worn out and OUTDATED ... in her place. What she "preaches" is so 1994. Ann does nothing more than reinforce the negative stereotypes or clichés. i.e. grumpy, judgmental, know-it-all, negative and preachy. ... And no I am not some far left wing wack job. I am from a small farming community and most people I know go to Sunday church service and then brunch with their family.

March 9, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Nathan,

Wow a McCain I like. Anybody who sees Coulter for what she is is okay in my book. This girl must have been traumatized having to campaign for her father when she new that he and his party were bankrupt fo ideas. I would love to know what she thinks of Palin.

March 9, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. Cathy

Megan.may be one of the new generation Republican.....

WATCHOUT people.

You heard it first from me.

March 9, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  23. Jack

Wow. New respect for Meghan McCain.

March 9, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  24. Irish club

Meghan,you are so right about Coulter, Rush and Hannity they are all for themselves and do not speak for the Republican party you should be head of the republican Party and bring it back to LIFE!!! WOW

March 9, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  25. Bob, Pacific Grove, Ca

Finally someone brave enough in the republican party to tell it like it is about Ann Coultergeist.........Unless the GOP shakes off these hate spewers like Limbaugh, et al, the American public will continue to shun the republican party as an irrelevant political entity....

March 9, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |