March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. zack

too bad John couldn't act more like his daughter. He probably would have gotten a lot more respect and votes.

March 9, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. vinnie

i like her now...coulter is someone who should be ignored.

March 9, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. Molly

Meghan...you're awesome! Thank you for standing up for our generation and saying what all of us feel. I used to be a Republican but can't stand the thought of being lumped in with crazy's like Coulter and Rush. I'm probably going to stay Independent, but love to see the more rational side of our generation in both parties! Keep it up!

March 9, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Jeff Carlson

Wow! Good for you Meghan! Maybe the Republicans will listen to you and realize that the majority of Americans are not against conservative or at least somewhat-conservative ideas, we are against people like Ann and Rush who have hijacked your party. Maybe they will realize that the vast majority of us are still interested in finding the place that is best for America in the debate between the Left and the Right. Maybe they will realize that being rational, civil and conservative are not mutually exclusive. I doubt it though. Meghan will get attacked today by the Right as unpatriotic and the Republicans will continue their angry, bitter yammering that got them where they are today.

March 9, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. Felly

Meghan is a true American. Extremist views, whether left or right have no place in our society. Ann Coulter is full of hate. Goes to church on Sunday to confess her sins and spills out hate and vernom on Monday through Saturday. Meghan is the real Country First and Politics last unlike John McCain.

March 9, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. Scott

When she said “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.” that made me LOL.

MMc is saying that the GOp is a party in shambles, and if its heroes are people liek coulter and Rush its future is in big trouble. Hostility is not always the way to strengthen your party. It's nice that a kid can get it, but rank and file Republicans are still stuck on old dogma and ways of operating that have already failed.

Evolve or become extinct, GOP. I like Meg McCain now. She calls it like it is. She doesn't say what the GOP WANTS to hear, but what it NEEDS to hear.

March 9, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. MEL

Go, Meghan!!!!! you have that right to express yourself as well. Yes, Coulter proclaims herself as a christian, who's throwing the first stone. shame of you Coulter.

March 9, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  8. Mike

You go girl ! I am a Republican, but I put Rush, Hannity and Coulter in the same mold. They spew hate, are always critical of anything that REAGAN would not have done, and wish failure on our current President. Now that's the sign of a TRUE AMERICAN right ??
    We should all be reminded that these three briliant minds help elect BUSH !! That should tell us all something about their mental capabilities.

March 9, 2009 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  9. vegage

I think Ann Coulter and Rush represent the extremist of the right wing of the political spectrum, they will be a perfect fit to replace Hitler if now was the 1930's and 40's. She emanates hate, discrimination and all type of bad things surrounding a human being that thinks is superior to others, and do not respect other's people ways of thinking. She thinks that live is only religion. She and Rush are definitely out of mind. So, go Megan for her remarks.

March 9, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  10. TheTruthHurts

It's probably safe to say nobody cares what Ms. McCain has to say. Nevertheless, she's dead on accurate about Ms. Coulter and her "mysterious" following. She brings out the worst in America and exploits it for her own profit.

March 9, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  11. Marie

You are 100% right about Ann Coulter; she is dreadful and insufferable to listen to. I really do not understand her following at all nor do I get Rush's but really it all boils down to sensationalized journlalism; they want to sell books and have more radio time as it lines their pockets very deepy.

I wonder if you asked either of them to offer a suggestion that could help us as nation they would be dumbfouned I think! We are going down regardless so we can either band together or created this seperate nation like what is occuring in Washington and in all the Republican hubs around the USA. Republicans need to get with the program.

March 9, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  12. Terry

As a good Liberals, both my therapist and I are troubled by my fantasies of Ann Coulter in black leather and carrying a whip. I am troubled because I shouldn't like her so much. My therapist is troubled because she finds my fantasies to be equally exciting.

If Conservatives made a video called Bad Girls Gone Wild, Ann would be on the poster. She is sort of the Al Franken of the Right.

March 9, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  13. Kevin

She is absolutely correct. Anne Coulter and Rush Limbaugh are the downfall of the republican party

March 9, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  14. The Chuggmeister

Meghan! It's March in New Hampshire, and it's been a long cold winter, especially for Republicans. BUT, politically speaing, you're the hottest thing the Republican's have to offer today. Talk about a Straight-Talk Express! Well, let me tell ya, the fires will be burning here in New Hampshire for you until primary season 2012. You are THE woman! Come to New Hampshire soon and often!

March 9, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  15. AZ resident

I think Republicans should give more attention to Meghan instead of Jindal and Palin...she seems more in tune with present day USA than the leaders of the party.

March 9, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  16. Charles

A Republican I can get behind...Meghan McCain. You get out there and pitch, kid. Your party needs you! I don't share your political affiliation, but I believe your good sense approach is good for America's two-party system.

March 9, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  17. Dan

Another future ex-Republican. Who can blame her? No ideas, no direction, no leadership, no vision..... just blame, anger, hostility, sarcasm and obstruction. The ever-growing Democratic majority will be happy to add her to its legions.

March 9, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  18. C W

I'm not a fan of the McCain family, but I totally agree with Meghan and respect her for standing up to Anne Coulter.

The Republican Party, in its pursuit of money and power, long ago decided to embrace the most dishonest, divisive and nasty political strategies possible. It all started with Lee Atwater and continues through his protege, Karl Rove. Anne Coulter has more than happily taken up the rhetoric, because dishonesty and meanness are her nature.

More Republicans need to call Coulter out on her behavior. She is one sick woman!

March 9, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  19. SrNanny

"Mariah said:
    I completely agree with Meghan McCain. Ann Coulter is the female version of Rush Limbaugh. Neither one actually cares about this country. They just spew their hatred, vile, and filth to earn a buck."

You are absolutely correct! It's money that drives these two. That lesbian Coulter and fat liar Limbo give Republicans and Americans a very bad name.

March 9, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  20. Don

Yall leave Meghan alone...First you attack her on her looks and because she supported her father...now you attack her because she said what most of us think about Coulter. McCain by the way is not a Republican in the truw sense. She was a democrat who out of loyality for her further changed parties. That said, its a shame that what she is really saying is being overlooked. The Republican party has no new idea's and are stuck with the same old hate arguments.

March 9, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  21. norman

Ann Coulter is everything that most Republican women are, and lets not forget it. Just listen to all the BOO's at any Republican convention, regardless what they are booing, the party is made of immature men who outgrew the chance to develop into complete human beings long ago.

March 9, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  22. JerryMe

Nice Meghan, you hit pin on the pinhead. =)

March 9, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  23. David

I agree with many of my Democrat supporters here. Meghan is the type of person this country needs – not afraid to speak out against those who say are Republicans and instead of uniting this country, use hate and bickering to divide this country even more. If more people like Meghan from both aisles would rise we could finally be seeing the last of Pelosi's, Reid's, Coulter's, Limbaugh's, Steele's,etc.

March 9, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  24. John Minter

The likes of Coulter and Limbaugh, and many others on local TV and radio, are destroying the Republican Party that Ronald Reagan built. As a Democrat, I enjoy a good debate about Conservative ideas, many of which have inviting appeal, but most conservative extremists want only to spew their caustic hatred and play to the stereotypes. The nation cannot afford to base public policy on stereotypes, and certainly not on fear and hatred.

March 9, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  25. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

She is correct that Ann "I'm really a self-hating liberal" Coulter is a cult to some extent. She has people following her every word and laughing all the way to bank... As they publish the facts and correct her mistakes in her "facts" and show how wrong she is. I can't believe how long the "Coulter train wreck" is going on in this country.

March 9, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |