March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Moderate in N.E.

As a woman, a professional, and someone who was a life long republican until Bush W., I can't tell you how happy I am to hear these statements!! I finally had to leave the party in 2000 (after supporting McCain in the primaries), when I could no longer stomach where the party was going. My decision to leave has been affirmed every day since then. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for pointing out that this empress (Coulter), has no clothes!! Now, if the republicans could just say the same to Rush and Hannity maybe my decision could be rescineded.

March 9, 2009 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  2. Ray Fisher

Just like Limbaugh, Colter has found a career without the bother of learning a skill. She writes and sells books to those who prefer not to think for themselves. Limbaugh simply uses radio as a medium for those to lazy to read. Politcal commentary like blogs and other opinions should stimuate thought and thus be open to opposing ideas, unfortunately the audience must be open to opposing opinions which doesn't advance the "conservative" agenda only their book sales. Suddenly it's cool to be "CONServative" when our nation needs help!!!

March 9, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  3. TJ

If McCain can't win his daughter's support, no wonder he killed the Republicans in 2008. Meghan is a self-centered, beer heiress and socialite with no concept of the real world to be sure. But that aside, McCain did to the Republicans what Obama is now doing to the country – intentionally brining it down.

March 9, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  4. Bayousara on South Oregon Coast

Meghan

Good for you! Speak Up and Speak Out!

I started my political life as a Republican because my parents were Republicans.

I quickly came to my senses and became a Democrat in time to vote for JFK.

My mom is 95, and she became a Democrat when George HW Bush ran for office.

I anticipate you will "see the light" in due time and join the Party of the People–the Democrats!

March 9, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  5. Jane (Minnesota)

Hooray to you, Meghan for speaking your mind! - I totally agree with you. I hope the 2 far right Republican mouthpieces leave you alone – I imagine if they smell some more publicity & ratings for themselves, they won't. Thank you for your openness.

March 9, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  6. Kat

Meghan McCain is the face of a new generation of Republicans - the generation that will take over when the current one gets so old and decrepit that it can no longer wave a cane at the younger, hipper generation that is already crowding it out. The party would do well to listen to and accommodate its younger members. They are, after all, the future of the GOP. Without them the party will most certainly fail.

March 9, 2009 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  7. Haggis

Right on (or is it Left On?!), Meghan!! Spot on. Keep it up. Great to have an alternative voice and one who says what other Republicans are apparently too cowardly to say in the deepening and lengthening shadow of Rush.

March 9, 2009 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  8. Go Fogey Go

Anyone who blasts Coulter has my attention. Now prove that you are sincere and join us at the Democratic Party.

March 9, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  9. P. Obama

I'm a Democrat, and I have to say that I wish everyone the best.

My advice to the Republican party: if you really want to change how you appeal to voters and the younger generation, let go of Steele, Jindal, and Palin. Instead, give Meghan McCain the spotlight because she is your best choice.

She's honest, fresh, and is easy to listen to (i.e. she doesn't sound fake or contrived). Most of all, she's not running for office so there doesn't appear to be any hidden agenda. She's just an everyday girl (with a Senator father) that is hip (not hip-hop) and relevant to today's generation.

I say this because everything needs balance. Even though I'm a democrat, I wouldn't want them or the Republican party to have too much power. Power corrupts.

Keeping a balance ensures that both parties working for the American people.

God Bless America

March 9, 2009 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  10. Dan

Way to go Meghan....thought and eloquence, rather than rhetoric and hate.
    When are the R's going to realize that it's people like Coulter,Bush, Palin and Limbaugh that got Obama elected in the first place. Yes, I group Bush and Palin in with the others because it is the my-way-or-the-highway holier than thou attitude's that have driven the R party into the ground. I have been a registered Republican since Reagan and have grown ashamed to admit it because of the uncompromising rigidity that has become the party mantra.

March 9, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. William

Both Coulter & Limbaugh have gotten very rich by being shrill, mean spirited, blowhards who never deviate from telling their insecure, loser, audiences everything they want to hear. The fact that both these gas bags are so popular confirms how extreme, hate filled & blind their devoted audiences are! They didn't even have the good sense to dump Rush when he was proved to be a doctor shopping drug addict while telling his listeners how horrible all drug addict are & how they should all be "put against a wall and shot". What a two faced phony!! I will give them both credit for knowing & playing their devotees & laughing (at them) all the way to the bank. Hurray for Meghan, she's a living example of what it'll take for the Republican Party to ever make a come back.

March 9, 2009 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  12. Jade

I too admire and respect Meghan. She is honest and open and not afraid to say what she believes. Now, will someone please tell me what is so appealing about Ann Coulter (and Rush Limbaugh for that matter).

March 9, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  13. d. ahart Easton, PA

WOW!! This dyed-in-the-wool Democrat believes that if Meghan McCain and other young Republicans think this way, frankly, i'm willing to listen to their arguments. Coulter, Limbaugh, Hannity and the like spew their filth and i just turn the channel.

March 9, 2009 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  14. DS

I'm an independent who is so sick of Coulter and Limbaugh "representing" the Republican party that I will be unable to vote for GOP until they have been sidelined. Meghan McCain, thank you for trying to expose Coulter for what she really is, a publicity seeking hate monger who needs to be marginalized.

March 9, 2009 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  15. Paul

Meghan McCain – – – she's young, but perhaps the Republican party has found its future. Maybe Meghan is what her father hoped to be, but was not, and that is the "straight talk express."

March 9, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  16. rodlang

Meghan McCain sounds like the way her father used to be...back when he had an independent mind of his own. Anyway, she makes alot of sense. Good for her.

March 9, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  17. David, Doylestown, PA

Hopefully Megan is the new voice of the Republican party.

March 9, 2009 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  18. Blue State NC

Attractive and intelligent! With those qualities, why is she still a Pub?

March 9, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  19. Pat

I agree 100% with Meghan. Ann Coulter provides no constructive ideas on how to work together to move our country forward. I stopped trying to understand her and her views several years ago.

March 9, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  20. Lauren

Watch out Megan, you may have to apologize to rush for insulting coulter and the republican party.

March 9, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  21. rich

I think the more Meghan speaks, the more I like her. Her thoughts are dead on. She seems like she has a lot of pent up thoughts that she is bursting to get out. Good for her. Keep talking Meghan. It's theurapeutic.

March 9, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  22. Patricia

Thank you Meghan for someone taking a shot at her. This prima donna has nothing to offer that I can see. Personally, I think she gets her adrenaline flowing by making people angry. She and Limbaugh should get married and see who yells the loudest. Psuedo-intellectuals I can do without.

Thank you once again Ms. McCain.

March 9, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  23. Scott

Wake up fellow Republicans. This "child" is shining a light on our biggest problem: our most vocal representatives are out of touch with the realities of what the Republican party SHOULD stand for...not perpetuating the rhetoric of the past 20 years.

March 9, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  24. Tom F

What move could possibly be safer than attacking Ann Coulter? Next she'll be saying that she is pro-kittens and rainbows, and that she is against homelessness and wife-beating.

Oh, the bravery!!!

March 9, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  25. MIke

I think Meghan as well as her father should be thrown out of the Republican Party, theor memberships should be revoked due to their disloyalty to their party and this is inforgivable, I voted for John McCain and knowing all this I would have not voted at all, he and is daughter are creating a situation where it is not even worth while voting if we are gonna have people like that.

March 9, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |