March 9th, 2009

Meghan McCain calls Ann Coulter 'offensive' and 'insulting'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/09/art.meghanmccain.gi.jpg caption="Meghan McCain takes aim at Ann Coulter in a new blog post."](CNN) - Fresh off public complaints about her own love life, Meghan McCain has a new target for her most recent gripes: conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

In a new blog post for the Daily Beast as Ann Coulter and HBO host Bill Maher are kicking off a week-long debate tour today in New York, McCain calls President Obama “the hippest politician around” and says being a Republican is “about as edgy as Donny Osmond.”

And she blasts Coulter for helping to “perpetuate negative stereotypes” about Republican women. “I straight up don’t understand this woman or her popularity,” says McCain. “I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.”

She concedes that Coulter seems to be followed by a “cult that cannot be denied,” and was a popular headliner at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference, but adds that “when your competition is a teenager who has a dream about the Republican Party and Stephen Baldwin, it’s not really saying that much.”

It’s not Coulter’s politics, says McCain - it’s her personality. “Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck,” she says.

“…Where has our extreme thinking gotten us? President Bush will go down as one the least popular presidents in history. I constantly hear stories about Republicans who previously worked for President Bush and my father feeling ostracized, unable to get jobs in D.C. right now.”

This weekend, Meghan McCain’s father, Sen. John McCain, laughed off her recent complaints over her romantic difficulties, which she blamed on his 2008 presidential bid. "I'm proud of all my children,” he said on Fox News Sunday. “Sometimes they say things that I would not do or say — that's what young people are all about."

Filed under: Meghan McCain • Popular Posts
  1. Nevada Mom

As far as I can tell, Limbaugh and Coulter & Friends are leading the Republican movement right now. The party, experiencing a leadership void, has fallen prey to these obnoxious opportunists.
    Meghan McCain may be willing to throw Coulter under the bus, but until the rest of the party stands up against hate-mongers, it will continue to lose influence across the country.
    Snarky commentaries are useless in today's world. But, somehow, there are people who just eat it up. Fortunately, those kinds of people are now fewer and fewer.

March 9, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  2. lynne

FINALLY someone in the republican party accurately talks about Coulter the idiot.

March 9, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  3. Kate

Too bad other Republicans can't see Coulter as the mean spirited
    woman she is. Glad to see a young Republican who is willing to say it. Now, Meghan, what do you really think about Rush?

March 9, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  4. reagan fan forever

Ann Coulter is a conservative. John McCain is not. Looks like his kids are following in his footsteps (not surprising, as most kids do)

It's strange how liberals and so-called moderates like McCain keep harping on Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh. They must feel very threatened and insecure. After all, one does not shoot arrows at a dead lion, unless one is an idiot.

March 9, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  5. Joe in PA

Steve,

You have REALLY missed the point! She is not trying to "fit in" and think as her peers think. She is simply thinking and coming to a logical sensible conclusion. Have you ever listed or watched Coulter?
    Coulter, Limbaugh and Hannity simply flap their traps. They don't do anything to help solve the problems that America faces. They only make it worse. In short they are babbling fools.

March 9, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  6. RLG Virginia

Clearly, the brains of the family.
    Reminds me of her Dad, back before he sold out.
    Give 'em hell, Meghan!

March 9, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  7. Richard L

Her father ran a campaign that was full of smears and innuendos. Her mother cluelessly claimed that Barack Obama ran a dirty campaign.

Meghan now is the shining light for honesty in the family.

March 9, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  8. David

Who knows who Ann really is? She's figured out how to cash in on an offensive yet meaningless image.

March 9, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. Vic

With Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh, it is very apparent that the Republican Party has regressed to the Dark Ages. I think most of our College kids are thinkers and that is what will doom the GOP.

March 9, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. bobbygo

Wow! What a breath of fresh air for the Republican. This is exactly what they need. I voted for Obama because I was turned off by the Republicans, this election more than ever. If they think Hannity, Rush, Coulter and Beck are good for their party they are completely wrong. These four spew hate everytime they speak. Palin took the cake in turning me and my family's votes to Obama. Purely bad choice and I feel McCain wasn't responsible for her choice, but he did pay the price.
    I have a good feeling about Meghan McCain and think she is good for the Republican Party if she feels that she truley fits. I think she's confused, but I still like her. You go girl and defend your dad's party because your all they have right now!

March 9, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  11. Tony

I am no longer offended by anything said by Ms. Coulter or Mr. Limbaugh, because I now realize they are not real people, but characters being played by so-so actors.

March 9, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. Gerda Edwards

I completely agree with Meghan McCain. Ann Coulter is the conservative version of Randi Rhoades and the female version of Al Franken. None actually care about this country. They just spew their hatred, vile, and filth to earn a buck.

March 9, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  13. Sammie1eye

Why are we listening to this person? Because her father was a wanna-be president and her mother was born into fabulous wealth doesn't make her the all knowledgeable that she makes herself out to be. Can we just do away with giving media space to the so-called anointed (Paris Hilton comes to mind when I read this drivel) and concentrate on something that's a little more important, like jobs, health care, things that this woman knows little to nothing about?

March 9, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. Alice Newman Center Harbor NH

Ann Coulter slammed the 911 widows, sneered at John Edward's dead son – that's just the tip of her snarky iceberg. She sells hatred and lies to make money: that's the Republican way!

Maybe if the GOP listened to other voices, like Megan's they might gain some credibility in the future: it certainly is the party of the past. ,,, as long as Ann and Rush are the face & voice of the GOP, thoughtful people will have deep doubts about what the party really stands for.

March 9, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. Dale32

Obama might be "hippee" but he's not much of a President. Ann Coulter is disliked because she lays out the facts as they ae, and most people don't like the truth!

March 9, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  16. Terry, Dallas Texas

I sure love Republicans who used shred and threaten the people who dared to speak up against the Bush administration. Remember the names you called those folks? They were "terrorist lovers" and "anti-Americans" who hate America and that they should be arrested and tried for treason. But when Coulter speaks her mind you start screaming First Amendment. You can't have it both ways folks. Either we have free speech for EVERYONE or we don't. It's that simple.

March 9, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  17. Tony Ramos

I was not a McCain supporter and weary of Republican Party in general, but This statement from Ms McCain gives me hope that maybe the better hearts and minds of the party will begin to speak out and drown out the divisive rhetoric and hate the far right (Coulter & Limbaugh, etc) seem to have embraced the last 8 years. Speaking for my own side, Pelosi and Reid need to learn to play nice as well or get out of the sandbox. Actually, I'd just prefer they get out of the sandbox and let more reasonable people play!

March 9, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  18. Oscar

Of course, this is after Coulter endorsed Hillary Clinton over John McCain last year. I suspect Coulter will write a hit piece on Meghan in the coming days, if not sooner. Just sit back, relax, and watch the fireworks!

March 9, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  19. Mike from Georgia

Meghan McCain may be a Republican (RINO), but she is definitely no conservative.

March 9, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  20. schatzee03

Megan I think you are a smart girl and reconize what the republicans are all about..but we all need to stick together and get our country back on point...good luck to you!!!

March 9, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  21. Gary

Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and their fellow like-minded radical reactionaries exhibit such a deep hatred of the American way of life that apparently even some young Republicans are repulsed by them, although I'm sure it won't be too long before Meghan McCain is thoroughly trashed by the Republic Party's propaganda machine.

March 9, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  22. david Armendale, SF, CA

Meghan says what a lot of thinking Republicans know – Coulter is emblematic of the degenerative mind disease that has swept the party into the political wilderness lately. Coulter is ethically and factually challenged in what she attempts to pawn off as critical thought. The more that some Republicans hold her up as an example of who they are and what they think, the more they will continue to lose.

March 9, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  23. Dave

Nice job – I like this McCain girl a little more now. Bravo! If she keeps bucking her political system she'll get a TV show. Then she can go back to being a nitwit again.

March 9, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. Rebecca

I agree with her on Coulter but from my perspective, she errs in framing this as a personality contest. Republican women get a bad name for more than just nasty personalities, there's the policy issues to consider. Since back-alley abortions and unwanted pregnancy destroy so many lives, just that one example of policies espoused by Republican women is more than enough to drive me in the other direction. To quote George Carlin, "Pro-life is anti-woman." I'll never understand how these women can take the stance they do and expect to get support from the public at large.

March 9, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  25. Linda in MS

Wow, I'm really starting to respect Meghan McCain, and I'm not a Republican!

March 9, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |