March 13th, 2009

DNC rolls out 'Party of No' clock

The DNC is calling Republicans the 'Party of No.'

The DNC is calling Republicans the 'Party of No.'

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Democrats are not letting up in what has been a constant stream criticism in recent weeks of Republicans as obstructionist at a time of national economic crisis.

The Democratic National Committee rolled out a new Web site Friday that features the party’s “Party of No” clock. The clock spotlights the amount of time that has passed since the release of President Obama’s 2010 budget blueprint – all time the DNC argues that Republicans have spent offering only criticism of rather than alternatives to the White House’s budgetary plan.

“Instead of petty politics and empty obstructionism, Republicans in Congress should either support the President’s budget or present their own plan to create jobs, fix our schools, reform our health care system, and make America energy independent,” DNC Communications Director Brad Woodhouse said in the statement.

In the nearly eight weeks since Obama’s inauguration, as the new administration and congressional Democrats have pushed through a $787 billion stimulus package and a $410 spending bill to fund the federal government’s operations, Republican congressional leaders have stressed fiscal restraint and accused Democrats of spending money the government does not have and should not be borrowing.

Republican congressional leaders stressed the same themes Friday responding to the DNC's "Party of No" clock.

"If Democrats want to highlight the plan Republicans designed and gave to the President that said no to government waste, no to tax increases, no to saddling every child in America with $70,000 of debt, and yes to creating small business jobs, we applaud them for getting our message out," Brad Dayspring, spokesman for House Minority Whip Eric Cantor of Virginia said in a statement emailed to CNN.

“If I had to defend the President’s budget, which is being eviscerated by both parties because it spends too much, taxes too much, and borrows too much, I’d probably waste time on fictitious claims like this too,” Antonia Ferrier, spokeswoman for House Minority Leader John Boehner told CNN.

Updated 3:45 p.m. with response from Rep. Boehner

Filed under: DNC
  1. patNY

Or, perhaps the gov't should do nothing about the economy, stop spending on all programs other than our military, and use all that money to pay back the national debt. Once the national debt is paid off, then the gov't can start spending on programs other than national security...I suppose no one would mind if we had no social security, medicare, federal funding of any educational programs or other projects.

March 13, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. George

The largest waste in government now is paying the republicans that are turning their backs on America. The just say no republicans should be sent home. They are not earning their money.

March 13, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  3. mark

Spending money like a drunken sailor won't help the economy. Just because Queen pelosi is out for revenge doesn't mean she's in it for America.

$3.5 trillion would stretch from San Diego to San francisco STACKED !

Give me my share, otherwise saying NO is the responsible thing to do.

PS Daschle was the original obstructionist. If you can't remember, than YOU are doomed to repeat history.

Carter is back

March 13, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  4. Bill

To Scot Hyland it is like this the Republicans are requiring the Dem for 60 votes on 99.9% of everything that comes to the Senate. We both know the Dems do not have 60 votes in the Senate. The GOP and Norm Coleman are doing everything possible to block the 59th Dem to sit in the Senate.

Therefore the Republicans need to offer something new instead of "NO" and the same polices that put this country in this mess. No more tax cuts for the rich and no more no bid contracts either.

Keep it up GOP and you will be down to 20 GOP Senators in the next election.

March 13, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. Ellie

I LOVE IT, the GOP really, really blew it. They are so confused and incompetent on all levels. I don't blame the DNC for driving their message home since the GOP coined the term "NO" after having used the word a zillion times!!! LOL.

Like my mommy always said.... "be careful what you ask for....." It seems the GOP is getting EXACTLY what they asked for and MORE.

So they can't turn around and BLAME anyone else for their own stupidity.

March 13, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. Libertarian

Dems are the party of tax-and-spend? redistribution of wealth?
    WAIT....BUSH increased the national debt by more than ALL PRESIDENTS combined before him. And didn't he redistribute the wealth....straight into the hands of big oil and Cheney's company (Haliburton)? I'd much rather see my taxes go back to the States than into his cronies hands.

March 13, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  7. Jon Lilly

Hopefully–without or with Republican support–we can turn this economy around and actually focus on solving the deeper, systemic issues for why we're in this situation. Obviously bad banking's a good place to start, but there are other issues, like global poverty, that have huge economic and geopolitical ramifications.

The Borgen Project (www.borgenproject.org) has some interesting insight into addressing the issues of global poverty, something we can remedy easily and sustainably.

Some interesting figures to ponder:
    $30 billion USD: The annual shortfall to end global poverty.
    $550 billion USD: The annual US defense budget.

March 13, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  8. obama=he's really stupid

I wouldn't wipe my rear on a democrat

March 13, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. Arlene Illinois

As for the Republicans I thought the " BOZO" show went off
    the air years ago. The only one missing from that picture
    is Michele Bachman.

March 13, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  10. DP

All of you democrat morons need to get real. I say NO to taking money out of my paycheck to pay for someone else's health care and unemployment. The only right the government should be able to spend money on is to provide security and basic needs. If I lose my job, I am going to scale back and fend for myself. I say NO to not having a right to stop this irresponsible spending. Let the companies fail so better managed companies can rise up. Force people to look for a job. If they are not where you live, then move. You need health insurance, then get a job that offers it. Democrats are the party of NO for "We take NO personal responsibility." Quit trying to attack my paycheck for your benefit.

March 13, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  11. DP

All of you democrat and republican morons need to get real who support this spending. I say NO to taking money out of my paycheck to pay for someone else's health care and unemployment. The only right the government should be able to spend money on is to provide security and basic needs. If I lose my job, I am going to scale back and fend for myself. I say NO to not having a right to stop this irresponsible spending. Let the companies fail so better managed companies can rise up. Force people to look for a job. If they are not where you live, then move. You need health insurance, then get a job that offers it. Democrats are the party of NO for "We take NO personal responsibility." Quit trying to attack my paycheck for your benefit.

March 13, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  12. ObamaShrugged

Stop whining about the Republicans not helping. The Dems and their liberal followers bashed Bush for eight years. why would you think the repubs would place nice. they don't agree with what the Dems believe.

As for the media, CNN has been Obama's lapdog from the beginning.

March 13, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. vinny- Chicago

what happened to "change we can believe in". Obama and the far left democrats want money, control and power...so they need big government. People...wake up!! These democrats are acting like dictators. Dissenting opinions are needed in a democracy.

Obama has had the worst 100 days of any president I've been alive for.
    On top of that, he's a fraud.

March 13, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. Kelly

Am I the only one that remember how this all started?

1) Terrorist blew up the World Trade Center. 2) Congress gave President Bush the authority to take us to war and we invaded Iraq which started to cost of billions. 3) Hurrican Katrina hit the Gulf coast. 4) Gas prices jumped from $2.00 to $4.00 nationwide as fear of oil shortage gripped the nation. 5) Oil companies had powerful allies within the government and auto manufactors who saw higher oil prices as profiting. 6) Speculators drove the cost of oil to record levels causing prices at the pump to jump. 7) Due to the higher cost of gas, families did not have the desposable income to buy other items which cause us to change our daily habits. 8) Higher fuel cost increased the price of goods and services in this country. 9) Higher goods and services meant less buying from the public which meant less revenue received by companies and less taxes taken in by the government. 10) After years of higher fuel cost, gas prices come down but spending has already stopped and companies go out of business. 11) Companies go out of business means people are out of work which means mortgages are not being paid and homes foreclosed. 12) Here we are at present day wondering how we got in this mess.

VERDICT: The Terrorist attach didn't bring this country down, it only started the snowball effect and we brought ourselves down as a result.

March 13, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. vinny- Chicago

Forget A-rod's .....a-fraud...it's O-Fraud!

March 13, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  16. GOP-fellas

I have an idea...

The next time a hurricane slams into the coast of Texas, they shouldn't be eligible for Federal aid because it is "socialism". That should make Chuck Norris, the thousands of sleeper cells which are ready to pounce, and the Texas secessionists very content with their views regarding "socialism".

March 13, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  17. johnny

@ Arlene Illinois March 13th, 2009 3:35 pm ET

Maybe it's a cukoo clock, and Michelle Bachman pops out on the hour!

March 13, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  18. DP

All of you democratic and republican morons need to get real who support this spending. I say NO to taking money out of my paycheck to pay for someone else's health care and unemployment. The only right the government should be able to spend money on is to provide security and basic needs. If I lose my job, I am going to scale back and fend for myself. I say NO to not having a right to stop this irresponsible spending. Let the companies fail so better managed companies can rise up. Force people to look for a job. If they are not where you live, then move. You need health insurance, then get a job that offers it. Democrats are the party of NO for "We take NO personal responsibility." Quit trying to attack my paycheck for your benefit.

March 13, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  19. Typical White Person

The "last 8 years" crowd on this blog is slowly dwindling as we get deeper and deeper into the Obama depression.

Hey, CNN, you still haven't reported anything on Maxine Waters and the TARP funds she arranged for her husband's bank. She's now spinning it in her favor so I thought you guys would finally report it...given the race card is being played I REALLY thought you guys would report it...

From another news source:

"California Rep. Maxine Waters fired back Friday at reports by The New York Times and Wall Street Journal that revealed she helped steer millions of dollars in bailout funds to a minority-owned bank on whose board her husband served.

"Recent press reports have raised questions about my advocacy on behalf of minority banks," the California Democrat said in a statement. "Ultimately, however, these articles only revealed one thing: I am indeed an advocate for minority banks."

March 13, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. brendan, florida

to those who question the current spending bill focused on putting money back into our country: how do you justify spending over 800 billion on the iraq war (estimated costs to economy of 3 trillion dollars) and how do you justify the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people? more than four thousand of those were american soldiers.
    since the focus of this seems to be money i will just show what the three trillion wasted in iraq looks like... 3,000,000,000,000.
    think about that when you question spending money in our own country on our own people.

March 13, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. Al Phillips

I issue this challenge to every republican supporter who has posted a comment on this board. You state that the republicans had a plan to help our economy out of this mess we are in, but nobody has ever stated what the plan was. Please give specific details to this plan and please don't start with tax cuts. My kids and their kids were already strapped with the deficit Bush left us. So please stop that line of BS. I am willing to listen to any good ideas when presented. What was the plan Republicans came up with in congress that got shot down by Pelosi and Reid. Inquiring minds want to know.

March 13, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  22. Sam Sixpack

Why do we need propaganda?

March 13, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. Justin from New Haven, CT

Hey Republicans: Hebert Hoover called. He wants his Depression back.

March 13, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  24. Lisa P

Cantor's reply is pretty funny: "No...no...no...oh, yeah, and yes to some vague goal everybody's in favor of, but, gee, no details on how we're going to actually do that (apart from proposing the same snake oil that we've been touting for the last fifteen years, which even we can now see didn't work)." The Republican platform in a nutshell - the Dems really hit the nail on the head this time.

March 13, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  25. HelloooOOOOO

Geeesh, our Govnor Perry has turned down some of the funds that would help people un employed here in texas, plus, is such fighting going on at our borders no one feels safe anymore, and the republicans keep screaming NO ???? well, this tEXAN wants help down here ! I pray Perry will be voted out of office or impeached ! I dont want to see any more people killed down here along our borders, no more un employed who CANT get unemployment help right now, because its all snarled in red tape, and no one even gets the so called "paperwork" promised to sign up for it...
    Thanks , but NO THANKS republicans..your killing Texas TOO...

March 13, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |