March 19th, 2009

Cheney belongs in jail, says Dreyfus

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/19/art.dreyfus.gi.jpg caption="Dreyfus was in Washington to promote preservation of Civil War battlefields."](CNN) - He played Dick Cheney in the recent Oliver Stone film 'W,' but Richard Dreyfuss made clear he's no fan of the former vice president.

In Washington Wednesday to promote preservation of the country's civil war battlefields, Dreyfuss quipped to Politico he's not missing former President Bush's No. 2.

"I miss having him in jail, that's where he belongs," the actor said.

Watch: Cheney: I worry very much

Dreyfuss is known for his outspokenness across the political spectrum, calling his former director Oliver Stone a "fascist on the left" last fall.

Cheney himself isn't holding back punches of his own. In an interview on CNN's State of the Union with John King last Sunday, he derided the Obama administration's national security policies and said they have made the country less safe.

Filed under: Dick Cheney
  1. NotNowMooky

I have always liked Dreyfus and now I like him even more. He is absolutely right about Cheney. The man who put his company before America and nearly destroyed us in the process should be in jail. They will come for him for crimes against humanity. And when they do I volunteer to strap on his chains.

March 19, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  2. WI Cheesehead

Dick Cheney is having a rough time with his conscience about Irve Lewis "Scooter" Libby. Dick knows very well he should have been the one sent to prison but at the time his scapegoat Libby sacrifice was OK but now his flawed principles are eating him alive inside out.

March 19, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. John in Memphis

At the very least, Chenny just needs to shut up and stay out of our faces!

March 19, 2009 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. Steve (the real one)

Well In case you don't know, the law in this country requires evidence AND and trial. Anybody have evidence (NOT OPINION BUT EVIDENCE) that Bush and Chaney have broken the law? (Cricket chirping as I wait for your answers).

March 19, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  5. Shooky

Wow, what an original thought. It's almost like I have never heard a liberal say someone in the Bush administration belongs in jail. You people need some fresh material.

March 19, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  6. Pat

If he hates Cheney so much why did he portray him in a movie? My guess is that the paycheck was just the right amount. These hollywood types will do anything for a buck. It makes me sick.

And the truth of the matter is, Richard Dreyfuss should be in jail for his awful performance in the Stakeout movies. Now that was a true crime!

March 19, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  7. Charlie

Isn't it a very sad day, when we let the Hollywood starts decide on important subjects such as this. If I were to get up an pontificate about something like this, I would immediately be targeted as having no political correctness. Amazing! Dreyfus will now be in the same category with me as Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins, Barbara Streisand...I won't watch or contribute one thin dime to their wealth!

March 19, 2009 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  8. Joyce Becker

You will never get that guy in jail, he is so slick, there is just nobody who can catch him. The whole Bush administration should face jail time, instead Bush will be collecting 7 million dollars for his book which I hope nobody buys.

March 19, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  9. Shari, NY

I would like Mr. Cheney to show proof that America is more vulnerable to terrorism. On the contrary, since the inauguration of President Obama no country has shown any animosity. Those who we might want to label as terrorists are most likely sitting back and watching us "do ourserlves in" right now without their help. "Poetic justice" it is called.

March 19, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  10. Sam

I am sick of actors spouting off, their opinions mean no more than that of any other citizen it is just that they use their celebrity status and their awards shows as a platform to run their mouths. I wish they would all just shut up.

March 19, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  11. Pat

TO David Armendale – And what crimes are those?

March 19, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  12. Wayne

I agree. Bush and cheney shoyld be in jail.

March 19, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  13. tom s

I don't think of Dreyfus when I think of top actor

March 19, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  14. Marian E. Paul

No question! Cheney is behind all the problems of the last 8 years. Poppa Bush thought the "shrub" would need guidance and he got Cheney into office where he could cause all this damage!!

Marian

March 19, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  15. SJR

Why do people get so upset when actors speak out...acting is only their job...they vote and they are a part of this country. Dreyfus is only telling the truth...Bush and Cheney had 8 years to do the right thing and they failed, so they both need to shut up at this point.

March 19, 2009 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  16. CKT

Richard who?

March 19, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  17. Ike

Can we stop blaming a few people for the problems of the world. How about this...you take responsibility for your own actions, take care of your family, work hard and stay involved in your community. Also lets not forget there are about 540-ish more people, in the governing body of this cournty, that are involved in creating the laws and policies that affect this nation. No one has destroyed America, as far as I can tell we are still driving to work, going to McDonalds and watching movies.

March 19, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  18. Cheney is making friends accross the board

and he does belong in jail

he and Bush

what nightmares they are

March 19, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  19. Jason Lopez

Most of the comments supporting imprisonment are so misinformed or intentionally misrepresenting the truth, It's sad and shameful that some people demonstrate their hate and anger over lies and perceptions. The United States is heading towards a path of self destruction, in few years we'll be nothing more than a pathetic shadow of our former greatness.

March 19, 2009 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  20. Sniffit

I would like to see someone actually come up with a list of ACTUAL crimes that Cheney committed. I'm not talking about things you think he committed, just because it was a policy difference, but something that you can actually prove using the law, and the constitution to back it up. If you can't do that and prove it, then shup your traps!

March 19, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  21. Tina

Indiana Voter ever heard of the Geneva Convention? War crimes? Yes they did break the law. This country won't do anything about it but I can't wait for the day The Hague comes down them both.

March 19, 2009 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  22. John

Torture is a violation of US law (many US laws), the UCMJ, the Geneva Conventions, the UN Convention Against Torture, and numerous other international laws and treaties to which the US is a signatory. The Bush Administration ordered torture. They *should be tried* as war criminals, and face *trial* to see if crimes occurred. Note, I'm not saying to jail them outright, even if I'd like to, I'm saying they need to face *trial*.

Additionally, they should face trial for wrongful imprisonment and for illegal wiretapping, both are violations of US law.

March 19, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  23. b

Di,

Ah yes! And yet we elected Reagan for President, go figure...Makes a lot of sense doesn't it? You are brilliant in your reasoning...

March 19, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  24. Philly

Kudos to Dreyfus! Cheney (and Bush, Condi, Rummy and Rove) should all be jailed for war crimes charges or crimes against humanity, for the killing of thousands of American citizens and the murders of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, period!!!!

March 19, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  25. kishen c.rao

i think we need to put all those who created this fiscal mess in our nation, in jail, and confiscate their property which will bar future corruptive people in politics and we will be alright....need to impliment laws properly and need stringent laws..fiscal mess by politicians....it is worst than terrorism. they are robbing the nation. terrible!!!

March 19, 2009 11:38 am at 11:38 am |