March 19th, 2009

Pelosi stands by immigration raid remarks

House

House

(CNN) - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Thursday that she was standing by her statement that enforcement of some existing immigration laws is "un-American."

"ICE raids that separate parents from their children in the middle of the night are un-American, and I stand by that," Pelosi said when questioned about her remarks made last week at an immigration rally in San Francisco.

"We have to enforce our laws, we have to control our borders..." the California congresswoman told reporters. "We have to protect our workers, we have to, I believe, have a path to legalization for people who are in our country who are not fully documented. But we don't have to kick in doors in the middle of the night and take fathers out of their homes and think that we are solving the issue when we really need comprehensive immigration reform."

On Saturday, at an immigration rally in San Francisco, Pelosi criticized the practice of work site and housing raids conducted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. Pelosi praised the predominantly immigrant audience, calling them "very, very patriotic" for "taking responsibility for country's future" by attending the rally on a Saturday night

"Who in this country would not want to change a policy of kicking in doors in the middle of the night and sending a parent away from their families," Pelosi said Saturday. "It must be stopped. What value system is that? I think it's un-American. I think it's un-American."

Filed under: Immigration • Nancy Pelosi
  1. Willy Brown

Idiots like Pelosi love illegal aliens for cheap democrat votes!

March 19, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  2. chuck

NANCY IS MY TYPE OF LADY.

March 19, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  3. Teresa in Fresno

You go, girl!

March 19, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  4. Kel

Is she still around? Don't worry, tomorrow it will be "My comments were taken out of context" or " I mispoke"

March 19, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  5. Ryan

I am a Democrat but am tired of this woman. She is a liability and needs to go

March 19, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. Brian Crooks

This is called "nuance." Not everything is black and white. The ICE raids do round up illegal immigrants, but they also round up legal citizens and separate them from their families. Furthermore, they do end up dividing parents and children in the middle of the night.

The problem with immigration is not that it's too easy to get here illegally, it's that it's too hard to get here legally. If I was dirt poor with a newborn to take care of and I lived across the border in a town being ripped apart by gang violence, I don't know if I would be able to wait a year to have my paperwork processed. We need to reform the immigration laws here so people that want to come can come legally and not need to wait a year (or years) to be allowed in.

March 19, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. Harvey

How does a woman as unpopular as this get to be 3rd in line for the presidency?

March 19, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. tom

It a shame that are school systems is in this horrible state. That most of our elected officials do not understand the meaning of the word ILLEGAL.

March 19, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Rosie, Crestiview, FL

Pelosi is right. It is unamerican to take family members away from their children in the middle of the night. The only time that should happen is if the family member is a risk to his or her family. Immigration should be enforced, but in a humane and american way

March 19, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. Ryan

While I'm very much against illegal aliens and they're supposed "rights" (The Right to smuggle drugs, the right to dodge taxes, the right to cross polinate the crime they supposedly didn't want to endure...)

Separating Children from their parents because their parents are stupid, is still very much unethical and wrong.

What do you propose? Leave the kids here? Or chuck em south of the border and say "good luck" and then act surprised when they grow up in a gang to be drug lords with a vendetta?

Idiots.
    Pelosi is a complete moron but she is right on this particular detail.

March 19, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. KC

She is just supporting the illegals because she will need their votes to get re-elected. (yeah, they shouldn't be able to vote but ACORN with help with that). You know, I'm pretty sure that the closest Nancy Pelosi ever gets to a Hispanic person is when she tells her maid what she wants for breakfast in the morning. Nancy Pelosi has lost it. She is an egotistical monster who has overstepped her bounderies and forgot that she is a public servant and works for us.

March 19, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. Greg PA

Did Pelosi just say that obeying the law is unamerican? Or did she just say that enforcing the law was unamerican? Either way she is crazy.

March 19, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Had It

Don't separate children and parents. SEND THEM ALL BACK !

March 19, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. Alex

I'm no Pelosi-fan, but she is right on the money here. Our detention and deportation process is inhumane... As is much of our penal system.

Time to "Just say 'No'" to no-knock warrants and militarized federal raids in the hopeless War on Drugs while we're at it...

March 19, 2009 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. Chris - Seattle

Do any of the nay saying haters here really think that the flag waving, American voters that actually hire illegal immigrants to do jobs that Americans feel are beneath them are going to find help to replace them! I've witnessed apple orchards right here in Washington that have Hispanic workers making lower wages than my 10 year old, living in sub-standard housing and working more hours than I did when I was a commercial fisherman in the Bering Sea!

Let's just pretend for a second that tomorrow morning we'll wake up and there won't be a single illegal immigrant in America anywhere! Do you really think that our already battered economy would survive that and are you willing to step up and clean my toilet???

March 19, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. Mickie

I'm a democrat and Pelosi should have gone ages ago! Of course she is for immigrants, they are the cheap workforce in CA.

March 19, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. AnnMM

Pelosi, you moron. As it is the laws aren't forceful enough. This Democrat has had enough of you and I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

March 19, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. frank tx

Nancy Pelosi is right ,this USA not nazi Germany.

March 19, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. P. Y.

She's right. This is not the way to handle the situation. There has to be a better way. For God's sake, this is the USOA , not North Korea, or China, or Iraq, etc.

I notice that all the " women haters " are out in force whenever Pelosi speaks. She may not always be right, but she sure is in this case.

March 19, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. res50

I love how this woman is always smiling and look so happy when she is doing her best to destroy this country and everything it stands for.

March 19, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  21. Greg

It amazes me how many people comment on these articles without even reading/comprehending what is written.

March 19, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  22. Change is coming!

Wow.... I appreciate Nancy but I thnk she got this one wrong.... I mean yes we need new immigration laws .... but don't talk bad about the people doing their jobs.... if a mother/father door get kicked in that is living illegally in the US so be it.... they are in our country illegally <== key word. We nee to take care of home (Americans) we can not afford to be lax with illegals...

March 19, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. Oh, please...

So...When the Clinton administration authorized the seizure of Elian Gonzalez, was it being un-American? Nancy Pelosi: Tom Delay without the charm.

March 19, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  24. Fitz in Texas

Ms. Pelosi:

Why don't you tell this to one of our fine Houston Police Officers that was just shot and is clinging to life. Tell this to his wife and children.

One of our finest was serving a drug warrant when he was shot in the face by an illegal that had a valid Texas drivers license.
    This was a $40,000.00 drug house with $50,000.00 worth of surveillance.

I'm so disgusted with Pelosi. You took an oath to perserve and protect. Now either do your job, the job the taxpayers are paying you to do, or get out and let someone else do it.

March 19, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. Ted

She somehow called them patriots too. It may be lousy to break down doors in the middle of the night, but rounding up illegal aliens where they work? By the way, she also opposes deporting people who get picked up for other crimes.

March 19, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |