March 25th, 2009

Biden confident budget have 'all the major elements intact'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/25/art.cnn.biden.pelosi.jpg caption="Before a lunch meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Vice President Biden told reporters at a photo op he is confident Congress will come up with a budget 'totally consistent' with the $3.6 billion plan that President Obama has outlined."]WASHINGTON (CNN) - Before a lunch meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Vice President Biden told reporters at a photo op he is confident Congress will come up with a budget "totally consistent" with the $3.6 billion plan that President Obama has outlined.

"Look, I am confident that with the leadership of the Speaker and with Harry Reid we're going to get our budget with all the major elements intact," Biden said.

Echoing Obama's message from last night's prime time press conference, the Vice President said the president's budget will rebuild the economy around investments in energy, health care and education.

Some congressional Democrats consider the spending proposal too large, given the deficits projected by the Congressional Budget Office, and have offered alternative budgets with billions slashed from the Obama plan. The president is on Capitol Hill today to sell his proposal.

Biden said he thinks the administration will prevail in accomplishing their priorities.

"I feel very confident that we are going to get a budget that is totally consistent with and reflective of all we have asked for in the budget that we submitted to the Congress," he said.

Filed under: Harry Reid • Joe Biden • Nancy Pelosi
  1. James

Thank God the democrat's are in charge! Now we can get the disaster that Bush and the repub's caused fixed and our country back.
    I hate to think how bad it could've gotten if McCain was elected.
    I applaud president Barack Hussein Obama's effort's to fix this mess and I believe he is on the right track. This mess was eight year's in the making, and it will take some time to got out of.

March 25, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  2. Edward Brockhoeft

I agree with Mr. Fred Thompson. This president's budget will only deepen our national debt, and create worse problems in the future. I cannot support President Obama's agenda. I never would have thought the main stream news media would be so PARTISAN in the political arena. I used to watch CNN but no longer do. When are you all going to report unbiased news relating to President Obama? The people of america deserve that much. Please read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, by William L Shirer. This book Tells of the life of Adolph Hitler and his rise to power. It reminds me of the agenda President Obama has for this country. Socialism does not work. I don't like the idea of sharing the wealth with people who want a hand out from the government. I worked hard for what I have.

March 25, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  3. SGTBIGO

Well James,

I guess you hate freedom and free market. Name how GWB caused all of this? Please I would love an answer. It was the combination of Clinton pressuring mortage companies to make riskier loans and the Repubs de-regulating Wall Street. Sounds like both parties are to blame. But I for one DO NOT think that Obama is on the right track. We're heading for socialism and you're cheering him on.

March 25, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. MaryanneAZ

I find it quite amusing that the GOPers focus on the "potential" deficit increase down the road and the Dems focus on the potential growth in our economy today. The time to invest is now. The time to modify or change direction as the circumstances warrant is down the road. It seems very counterproductive and counterintuitive to reject today's budget and its potential for recovery and growth based on fears of tomorrows potential shortfalls or increased deficits which can be addressed when and if they occur. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face!!!

March 25, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  5. Jon

I'm glad that they found something for Biden to do, having lunch with Pelosi is something that he can probably handle without screwing up.

March 25, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  6. Ron Il

Now that I have lost my job, I guess I won't be paying for any of this.

Wa Hoo

March 25, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  7. today

V.P Biden, it's time to put these anti- American republicans in their place, if they keep saying they want OUR President to fail, then they are really saying they want America to fail, THEY SHOULD BE TRIED FOR TREASON.

March 25, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  8. gold

If it was President Obama who made this statement instead of vp then you will hear Republicans, CNN, and their partner in bashing Obama Fox news calling on those so called stratigist to criticize Obama because they think this is 1980's and that we the people are naive and dont research the issues for ourselves they dont realize the power of the net.............

March 25, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. New Yorker

James, sorry to burst your bubble but Barack Hussein Obama is digging us into a pit far deeper than Dodd and Frank did with the Fannie/Freddie debacle and the ones who pulled the strings 9/15. It was all part of their plan to destroy this country. Obama, is just a pawn.

March 25, 2009 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. Mike S

Biden, Pelosi,Frank, Reid, Dodd and Obama....even the casualest of observers would view them as odd....

Biden...said he would never be vise president, no way
    Pelosi...thinks she knows more about the Catholic Church than the Pope

Frank...outraged over the activities of FannyMae and FreddieMac while he did everything possible to support them at the hearings in 2006

Reid...thinks american tourist smell bad

Dodd...AIG..no I didn't...uh..yes I did..uh no I didn't...uh yes I did

Obama...I think this deficit I inherited (and voted for) is outrageous and just to let you know how outrageous I think it is, I'm gunna triple it, 57 states, no lobbyist in my admin, tax cheats in the cabinet (our treasury secretary ought to be serving time, not the public)...and the list goes on...He's only been in office a few months and he is already a much worse than Bush was...2010 can't get here fast enough...his little quip about the Special Olympics was/is inexcusable

March 25, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  11. gt

this is insane ,,,,, we are digging a hole so deep america will be saddel with debt for as long as you can see,,,, wake up !!!!!

March 25, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  12. Jacqueline Butler-Wilson

I don't usually comment on many of the political issues at hand nor have I in the past...however, I feel compelled to make a comment at this time. Given the crisis of our national environment and world economic order, it would seem to me that Republicans and Democrats should be working towards a common goal no matter which political party is in office. It appears that there is a death wish for our country not to succeed simply because the existing President is not what the status quo is used to seeing and is used to working with. This President is talking about "we as a nation" of people; It seems this President is initiating changes for the good of all and is bringing all of us into the 21st century. What I don't understand is, Why most of the Republicans and a few Democrats are against this President and his policies? It seems to me that the "Positive and Negative" energy is playing its role in the grand play of life. I sure hope good prevails.

March 25, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  13. Wade

Umm… CNN, the proposed budget is 3.6 TRILLION, not Billion.

James… this mess was more than 8 years in the making.
    Trying to lay all of it on Bush is narrow minded at best. Actually it shows how uneducated you are in how the US government actually works.

The Dems controlled all of Congress (and the purse strings) for the last two years of Bush's term and they controlled the Senate for 4 of Bush's 8 years in office.

The entire Iraq war has cost roughly $800 Billion over a 6 year period.
    Obama had already spent that much in less than 6 weeks!

March 25, 2009 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  14. Truth Bomb Thrower

After 8 years of having a REAL vice president who actually had influence, power, and the ability to think for himself and who wasn't afraid to speak his mind, it seems that much more comical and sad to have someone like Joe the plagarist in the V.P. office. He's gone from being an outspoken U.S. Senator to being a capitulating yes man to his inexperienced, lightweight boss. Compared to Cheney, Biden like a doorman or a waiter. 🙂

March 25, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  15. Scott, Tucson

Well look who they dusted off and brought back out to the public JOE!

March 25, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  16. Kurt C.

Biggest boondoggle in the histotu of man. And it is 3.6 trillion as a previous person pointed out.

"Bush was bad because he spent too much, so now I'm going to double the spending."

Yeah, that makes sense. When the Democrats are through ruining this country, will there be anything left?

March 25, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  17. Sniffit

@ Wade, who said "The Dems controlled all of Congress (and the purse strings) for the last two years of Bush's term"

I'd be careful who you call out for showing ignorance. During those two years, the GOP filibustered like it was going out of style and Bush set a record for vetoes. That talking point did NOT work on November 4, 2008 and it won't work now, so please shelve it.

March 25, 2009 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |