March 26th, 2009

Questions pour in for Obama's online town hall meeting

Americans can submit questions on WhiteHouse.gov for President Obama to answer live online Thursday.

(CNN) - During the Great Depression, President Franklin Roosevelt reassured anxious Americans through his famous fireside chats over the radio.

Now, in the 21st century, President Obama has found his own fireside equivalent, launching an online town hall meeting Thursday where he will answer citizens' questions about the troubled economy and his efforts to fix it.

"We're going to try something a little different. We are going to take advantage of the Internet to bring all of you to the White House to talk about the economy," he says in an introductory video on the site.

As of late Wednesday afternoon, more than 30,000 people had submitted more than 32,000 questions on the official administration Web site, WhiteHouse.gov.

Americans may submit questions, and vote on others' queries, until 9:30 a.m. ET Thursday. Obama has promised to answer the most popular questions through a live video stream on WhiteHouse.gov. beginning Thursday at 11:30 a.m. ET.

Check back here during the president's live stream for live blog coverage of the event by CNN"s Political Unit.

The site had recorded more than 1 million votes as of late Wednesday afternoon.

Full story

1. obama-mama

I hope answers my question....

March 26, 2009 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Sarah, Northern Colorado

I think this is a great idea. The media may not like it, and may think President Obama is playing keep-away from them, but to open a forum where the federal constituency has the opportunity to connect to our leader is phenomenal. It shows he actually cares enough to listen to us, rather than the special interest groups and the media.

March 26, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  3. frank , pennsylvania

brilliant!!

March 26, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. Stephen, Missouri

I am with you mr President...cut through the cable chatter and talk to us directly. We like hearing from you and will work with you to bring about change. We will be patient and we will be there for you.

For thos ein the media who are preoccupied with the trivia...you need to understand why we no longer buy newspapers...they are full of your conceipted egos.

Thought I blog and read a little of the news here on CNN, I have signed off from listening to your right wing view of President Obama's policy. In the end, it will not be the media but the American people with a president that they elected that is going to bring the change.

Imagine McCain and Palin were rulling right now? Does anyone in their right mind believe we could have amde the progress that we have made so far???

March 26, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  5. Karen- PROUD OF MY PRESIDENT

This shows US how IN TOUCH this President is to the American people and WE hired him and HE can answer our questions. Yes he's spending a lot but at least it's on the America. President Obama is trying to straighten out the mess that the former President and his posse created. I support the President and keep up the good work. Americans this will take time and 100 days is not enough time to clean up 8 years of distruction.

March 26, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  6. Lori

I can't wait to see this! Our President is reaching the American people through modern technology (something Bush and McCain were afriad of).

Watch the Republicans TRY and copy this idea. The problem is the majority of their followers don't even know what a computer is.

March 26, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  7. Oregon Calling

I know that there were alot of really good questions on there. Kudos Mr. President.

Peace 🙂

March 26, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. Dan, TX

This is very good.

March 26, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  9. stillsupportspresident

I think this is so cool. The best part is reading what other people's questions are. We always think we are so different since we don't all look the same or have the same beliefs about how the President should approach solving our problems but it's very interesting how similar our concerns really are. People really want most of the same things. I know the site will make some of the media mad. Hopefully that won't lead to more of certain journalist's peacock wing spreads at the President's next press conference. 😉

March 26, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. mulu

America you see a real democracy!!!!! ( this President is open,confident,accountable and trustworth) I am so proud of him and my support is always there as long as he need it

God bless you and my great Country

March 26, 2009 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  11. Shari, NY

Even though it will not be humanly possible to answer everyone's question I commend this initiative. Perhaps if he has an audience with one lucky person who shares the same concerns as many others this will kill a few birds with one stone.

March 26, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  12. today

what good is it going to do to keep propping up these failed companies? the last administration let this happen to our country, we need to start over, but not by bailouts.

March 26, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Tulsa L

Yes, what a great idea........

March 26, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  14. Fan of Common Sense

I have a question. When is this guy going to stop being a candidate and start being a president?

Talk Talk Talk. It's all this guy wants to do. Eventually he's going to have to step down from his beloved soap box and actually accomplish something real. Every day more and more people are starting to wise up and realize this guy is not what he was billed as. "Hope" is nice but it can only carry you so far, and the "change" was obviously just a campaign buzz word.

March 26, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  15. adel, san antonio

What a great idea! I love that he's trying to make himself accessible to everyone in the best way he knows how. He's still connected the rich and powerful in Washington and he's reaching out to the "regular" folks out here.

March 26, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  16. Osmo

How about he stops holding press conferences and appearing on TV and streaming himself online and works on fixing the country. I'm not sure where he finds the time to make all these appearances, fill out his March madness bracket, go bowling and work at fixing all of America's problems as he's promised he'd do, but he should spend less time answering questions and spend more time actually doing something about what's being asked.

March 26, 2009 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  17. zally

I posted a question I hope they ask mine!

March 26, 2009 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  18. Obama 2.0

I sent mine in on Healthcare Reform & process improvement culture (Six Sigma) to facilitate the differing parties in coming to consensus and effective problem solving, not to mention project overlap and utilizing a common language.

March 26, 2009 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  19. barking dogs

Thank you President Obama.Glad the days of Bonnie(BUSH) and Clyde(Cheney) are over.They robbed and pillaged the American people for eight long years.

March 26, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  20. jean in florida

Intelligent!mr president. You sure remember the people who has sent to washington dc.

March 26, 2009 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. Virginian

This is just another way for him to escape the scrutiny that continues to grow over the way this president is doing things. He needs to get over himself trying to be all things to all people, and get busy doing all those things he promised and won't be able to do. The country is going to hell in a handbasket and he is out fiddling like Nero when Rome was burning. He needs to go back to the White House and start working on this stuff instead of trying to defend it all the time. He is afraid that his popularity will fall, but the reality of it is, all of our Presidents have had that happen. He is so egotistical that he can't stand it. Go back to Washington prez and get busy!!

March 26, 2009 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. jt

OBAMA ROCKS, glad to be his die hard supporter obama 2012

March 26, 2009 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  23. Christy Elmasri

I think it's great that President Obama is taking his "open" door policy a step further and going "Town Hall" so that regular folks can ask their questions directly!
    President Obama is only 3 months into his term as President of the U.S. and having inherited numerous problems that cut across the spectrum, President Obama is doing a fantastic job!
    I like what he is doing and I believe he will weather the Republican storm of negativity and sour grapes quite well.....

March 26, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  24. Mel

What a truly great idea. Especially since it can't be manipulated by the media to be something it isn't while its happening.

Its wonderful to have a President so in touch with modern times.

Just one problem... I wish he wasn't doing it in the morning while everyone is at work. I want to take part but I can't watch it on my computer because of the job I have. It would be a major distraction and the boss would be mad. At least, not with the sound on. Which means I won't be able to hear anything.

I wish they had closed captions like they do for the deaf. That way I can watch the answers without disturbing anyone.

March 26, 2009 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  25. Simmy

I'm with you, obama-mama – I hope he gets to mine also. I love the nuance of my 'Tech-Savvy' President. He is making history in many ways........I'm very happy with my choice! I will be there!!!!!
    God bless......................