March 27th, 2009

Michelle Obama to deliver two commencement speeches

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/02/26/art.getty.mich.obama.jpg caption="Michelle Obama will speak at two graduations this spring."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - First Lady Michelle Obama will deliver the commencement speeches at two graduations this spring, the White House announced Friday. She will deliver a speech to the University of California-Merced's senior class on May 16 and to high school graduates of the Mathematics Science Technology Public Charter School in Washington, DC on June 3.

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Fitz in Texas

Sorry, still can't accept her as the "First Lady".

I'm still trying to get over when she said something to the effect.....for once in my adult life I'm finally proud of my country......or something close to that.

This country has been very good to her, she has had it better than most Americans, and she spits on the country that gave it to her and says something like not being proud of this country. She is one bitter millionaire.

I

March 27, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  2. Rob in Detroit Mi.

I think the Republican's need to leave the first lady alone,now all of a sudden they want to know what the first lady is up to, i find that interesting considering never in history was there this much scruitney,
    involving the first ladies of the past.

March 27, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. gerry

You go, First Lady, the world is proud of you.

March 27, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  4. Steph

She is such an inspirational woman. I bet she gives a fabulous commencement speech. I am so proud of our first lady!

March 27, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. NE Independent

Ummmm......what has she actually done to deserve giving commencement speeches?

March 27, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Mike in VA

What a way to cumulate your educational achievement, a speech by Michelle Obama. Maybe she can tell them how to get a very high paying made up position with a hospital in Chicago.

March 27, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. Carmelita Miles

This is a wonderful and a privlage event that everyone should be proud of and honor to be address by the first black american first lady of united states.What a historic moment in time.

March 27, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. Laverne

Mrs. Obama making a difference in people lives. It's funny that Laura Bush is a teacher by trade, yet she never really got involved. I know she visited a few elementary schools, but she always kept her distance otherwise. People try to paint Michelle as an American hater, but the proof is in the pudding, she is out making a difference.

March 27, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  9. Sue

This is great for Michelle Obama. She is making a political name for herself.

March 27, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  10. Patty in the CA mountains

Lucky students at both schools....can only be good

March 27, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  11. Brian Crooks

Here come the ugly attacks from the conservatives...

I'm so proud of our First Lady. Michelle is an exemplary mother, wife, and role model. Keep up the good work Mrs. Obama!

March 27, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. Ryanna

She is a role model for every girl and woman in this country.

March 27, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  13. Dee

Ms. Obama, Mother, First Lady and now U speeking on Grduation's! HS or College member's will dream forever. Thank You!

March 27, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  14. Linda

Michelle is a really great example of a smart, intelligent women as our First Lady. Americans certainly haven't seen that for quite a while.

March 27, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  15. obama-mama

I'm proud of your First Lady....Keep up the good work.

March 27, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  16. The Graduate

For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud I'm not in school.

March 27, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. Shooky

It may go a little something like this...

"If you are fortunate enough to get into an Ivy League university, base your thesis on a black separationist view of race relations, marry a politician that can direct millions in funds to your employer (in my case a hospital that created the position of Diversity Coordinator for me – $317,000 yearly salary, the position was eliminated once I left), have toned biceps, and become first lady, then YOU can one day be proud of your country for the first time!"

March 27, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. Peggy

She gets top marks. One could accurately state that she and her husband President Barack Obama are a hard working couple.

March 27, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. Dutch/Bad Newz, VA

Way to go Michelle. Keep up the good work.

March 27, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. Go Mo

Here she is again...let us spell it out for you Michelle just go away
    and stay away whatever you have to say. ask us if we care...

March 27, 2009 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  21. Jackie in Dallas

And screams from the right in 3...2...1 about "limiting the First Lady's role".

After Laura for 8 years, it may come as a shock to the GOP, but the First Lady is doing exactly the same types of things other First Ladies have done since Eleanor Roosevelt. She's visiting the various agencies of the government, she's visiting schools, she's supporting causes such as good nutrition and growing your own food, and she's doing it with style and grace. She's unique, and as a 58-year-old white woman, I admire her greatly.

March 27, 2009 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  22. DX in TX

I love Michele Obama, she has more influence in her non-political role than she realizes. What a lady.

March 27, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  23. Fair is Fair

Wonder if she's going to tell them that since her husband was elected president, she's now proud of her country.

March 27, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  24. Steve from TN

What a thrill for these grduates. A memory for life.

March 27, 2009 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |