March 30th, 2009

Thirty-three year veteran employee leaving the RNC

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/30/art.steeleseal0330.gi.jpg caption="Former Maryland Lt. Gov. Michael Steele was recently elected chairman of the RNC."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) – A veteran employee of the Republican National Committee is leaving the organization, a spokesman confirmed to CNN.

RNC chief financial officer Jay Banning, who has been with the committee for 33 years, is resigning. No reason for the resignation was given.

Banning's departure comes as new RNC chair Michael Steele continues to shake up the organization and revamp its operations after a thorough internal review.

Banning's resignation was first reported by Roll Call.

Filed under: RNC
  1. Who Cares

Don't most people retire after 30 years of work? Whats the big deal?

March 30, 2009 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  2. kuriya

As for Michael Steel why should he go on national TV and say I try to reach to Obama and Obama could not extent his hand. When last did the opposition party chairman trying to reach out to the other side. Is he not the one that said the bipartarson is overrated. Let him think before he open his mouth. I think Obama was right when he said "I want to know what I say before I open my mouth." I think that should be a lesson for micheal Steel. Does he think that because he is black he has to go on TV to make a statement like that. By reading his comment I feel sorry for the man.

March 30, 2009 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  3. elana

Oh! Republicans!! You are just like "pac-man" eating each other up! Yipee!! Go right ahead! I strongly hope that the GOP implodes and/or explodes/ and a new party is born from the ashes!!

March 30, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. Mississippi Mike

"I wish they would all walk into the ocean never to be heard from again."

If all of the Republicans disappeared, who would pay the taxes that Democrats spend?

March 30, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  5. John

The GOP is a decomposing entity that needs to be burned or buried because the flies are finding new homes that I as an American citizen will have to clean if they can't figure it out themselves. Politics isn't brain surgery, politicians like to pretend when they use words like "complicated issues" to describe that simple tool that most people in the west know as "reading."

March 30, 2009 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  6. Bill_ MA

Republicans have poisoned our country far too long. They need to fade into history.

March 30, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. S Callahan

I wish him well, he gave alot of years in his service.

March 30, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  8. James, Phoenix AZ

No reason given? How about his GOP is dead!!!

March 30, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  9. Paul from Phoenix

Good. Out with the old!

March 30, 2009 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  10. Sniffit

So he retired, big deal. Do we have to start reading stories about who made a poopoo like a big boy this morning too? Stop trying to keep the RNC relevant...it's a lost cause.

March 30, 2009 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. Shirley in California

I really didn't think there was a bigger fool in the republican party than palin but Steele IS. I don't blame any sane person for not working with him. This guy is an embarrassment. He said he is not trying to work with President Obama anymore (just like someone in high school) and when the commentator replied "but he's the president-Steele said so I'm the RNC chairman". Which means? He would not even be in that position (and I'm sure he won't be there long) if the democrats had not nominated Obama. This guy is seriously in need of some mental counseling.

March 30, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  12. CJG

Sounds like a smart man to me ..... just what is taking other smart people so long to see the No party is going to down the drain ....Gulp Gulp Glup!!!

March 30, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  13. ken

Is he gonna go for G20 summit too since he seems to copycat all what Mr. obama is doing?

March 30, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. goobs

Is there anyone else over there besides Michael Steele?

March 30, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  15. yuri

And who's next in the list to quit playin' games of the GOP, the way neocons are? It seems as though the GOP is nosedivin' towards bankruptcy of sorts, the way financial institutions are behavin'.

RL, AC, LI, and other must sit down and analyze their contrversial ideas in an objective manner and stop makin' boistrous noises by comportin' like the war hero McCain. It is nice to be important but it's also important to be nice.

March 30, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  16. Mike

Good luck and best wishes. I suspect they will rue this move.

Well done Jay.

March 30, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. Sue M

He is probably leaving out of shame.......ashamed of the way the Republicans are acting and knowing that their stance on HOPING THE PRESIDENT FAILS is going to be the rope that hangs them all...

March 30, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  18. Franky

Can I ask a question? Do they even like Steele?? I mean, so far, they don't sound as optimistic as before, didn't they elected him there? I thought Rush was their leader...you see, I don't know. I think they are just paranoid...

March 30, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  19. That Other Jerry

"President Obama Brings It!"–I'm guessing you're a Democrat, but this Republican agrees with you 100%. It's a sad, disheartening feeling to watch one's party go from the glory days of Reagan to wandering cluelessly through the wilderness. I'm not sure how Michael Steele ended up as RNC leader, but here's hoping he can turn things around before the old fogies do him in. And from the looks of things it's not going to be easy or quick. Neither Palin nor Jindal is going to rescue this party miraculously in 2012. It may be heresy to go ahead and concede eight years to Obama, but I think if the GOP will do that, they can emerge ready to compete in '16. That is if they can let go of 2008.

March 30, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. ran

Why is he leaving? Is it because the party is falling apart or because the party might be redoing itself to be a party of the people?

March 30, 2009 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  21. Tina

Enjoy your retirement. 33 years of dedication, you deserve to retire.

It's always bad for an organization to lose someone with so much experience. Unfortunately a lot of people don't have the appreciation for experience that they should.

March 30, 2009 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  22. slickingdom

If his resignation was first reported by a roll call, then how much respect
    do you think he has for the GOP these days ? I guess with the appointment of Michael Steele, hes sees no light at the end of the tunnel.

March 30, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  23. marty

We all work for Obama. So, Steele-you get out.

March 30, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  24. karen-Phoenix

I've been a republican for over 40 years. I voted for and donated to President Obama and I will NEVER go back to the republican party again!! They do NOT understand basic America. Jobs–wind, solar. National health care. Good public education!!! When they can start relating to working class America, maybe I'll give them another look, but for now its Dems and the Green Party!!!

March 30, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  25. b. Pinelli

don't blame republican party for the stupidity of voters.....in USA
    there finding out who sorry now note election was not lost by that many votes... Don't throughout the baby with the bathwater

March 30, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |