May 5th, 2009

Group says Bristol Palin to promote teen pregnancy prevention

Last year, Gov. Palin revealed that her teen daughter, Bristol, was unmarried and pregnant just as the Republican National Convention was beginning.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bristol Palin, the daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, will participate in a town hall meeting on Wednesday to help raise awareness for teen pregnancy prevention, the Candie's Foundation announced Tuesday.

"I am so happy to have this opportunity to work with The Candie's Foundation on spreading the message of teen pregnancy prevention," Palin said in a statement released by the group. "I feel that I could be a living example of the consequences of teen pregnancy. If I can prevent even one girl from getting pregnant, I will feel a sense of accomplishment."

Palin, 18, gave birth to a son, Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnston, in December.

The Candie's Foundation, whose mission it is to "educate teens about the devastating consequences of teenage pregnancy," tapped her to be the teen ambassador for its National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. The group said she will participate in a town hall meeting at the Times Center in New York City Wednesday with actress Hayden Panettiere, baseball player Matt Garza, and other panelists.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Popular Posts
  1. Mark

What is Bristol going to say to prevent other teen pregnancies since her mother is for abstinence....look at me kids and see how miserable I am..can't go out and party any more, stuck home caring for this kid. Now I am being forced to go to school and come home care for my kid and the rest of the family while babys daddy is nothing but a pain in the butt and I don't want him around and my dad is off hunting and fishing and iron racing and mom is galavanting around giving speeches while I run the house and kids and I am only a teenager and a girl who just wants to have fun!

May 5, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. bill

Great idea! She can be the "poster child" on how to finish school, get married and then have a baby with the father living home raising a family with a decent job.

May 5, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. Supergirllondon

Getting Bristol Palin to promote the prevention of teen pregnancies is like getting Britney Spears to convince us she always sings live....comical if not sad.

May 5, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. xTXnCA

The poster child for unwed pregnacy. When will the Pain's just go away???

May 5, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. Maya

and say what?Go back to school

May 5, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. Raymond Dellenger

"...the devastating consequences of teenage pregnancy..."

Welcome to the world, little boy. This is your mother's assessment of you.

May 5, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  7. Kathy

While I am no fan of Sarah's and think little of the Republican Right for which she stands, if Bristol wants to educate other teens on the hardship of pregnancy and the reality of a baby that is 100% dependent for all of his needs, to promote the value of waiting and/or the necessity of birth control education and accessibility, I say more power to her.

May 5, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. Erik

I wonder if she'll be allowed to even mention birth control (which she apparently neglected to use). She'll probably just be telling the kids "Don't have sex. Not worth it." Yeah, because that will work...

May 5, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. Beth

Well...if Bristol says that listening to her Mom's advice didn't help her, and then proceeds to talk about how hard it is to be a teen Mom and how important the use of birth control is if you make the decision to have sex...then...I'll be on board.

Sadly...I'm not going to hold my breath.

May 5, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Ben

Promote it how, by example?

May 5, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  11. bj, Texas

I applaud her for leading by example. You libs should understand since because of you we also have a leader by example in tax cheat Geitner telling us that no one is above the law if you don't pay taxes. It's also kinka like the telemprompter in chief preaching about transparency.

May 5, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  12. Terry

1. Let us not be unkind to this young woman who seems to be a nice kid who has been thrust into the spotlight at a difficult moment and who appears to have handled it gracefully. Let her make her own reputation, apart from her mother's. And let us be tolerant of youthful mistakes, and by mistakes I do not refer to her pregnancy. I refer to any errors in judgment that may occur in the next few years. I would not like for all of the things I did when I was less than 25 (or 35, or 45) to appear on the front page.

2. Forty percent (!!!) of the babies born to American mothers last year were born to single moms. These girls and young woman need nothing but support, encouragement, and compassion. Many of them are destined to have difficult lives unless we do something about it. These girls and young women will raise, for better or worse, the generation of Americans that will be forced to live in the overheated, indebted globe that we created for them.

May 5, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. Char

We can all blame John McCain for this dreadful nuisance!

May 5, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. Observant

Bristol should be advocating for comprehensive sex education. As the best way to prevent teenage pregnancy is have factual information available.

May 5, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. Karenj8838

How much is she getting paid? Single mom, no job, no college degree, how DO you support your son???

May 5, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  16. Eli

Where is Bristol's credibility? She didn't listen to her mother. Why should anyone listen to her?

May 5, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  17. Lori

To Robin and her fellow Republicans,
    The hypocrisy is on your side. Why is that Republicans are so anti-abortion but yet when a teen mother like Bristol (without the wealth) gets pregnant with a baby she cannot afford, you want her to keep it but miraculously not rely on welfare, if she may need it. It always amazes me how anti-welfare Republicans are but then they expect women/girls who have unexpected pregnancies to be rich and not have to rely on welfare. You can't have it both ways. If you are pro-life then I hope you are pro-government funding for social assistance and social services to help these girls/women during their times of need.

May 5, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. Who is thinking of Tripp

Have anyone stop to think what about Tripp. He is the innocent one in all of this and one day he will grow to be a man. who is going teaching him? It seems like everone in this family is thinking about theirselves. If you don't like someone go to the media and destroy their character instead of trying to work out our differences because we have a child. I wonder will Tripp grow up to resent his family. So many children are screwed up because of the actions of their parents and in this case grandparents too.

WHOSE THING ABOUT TRIPP?

May 5, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. SteveM

Oh c'mon !!! How does getting pregnant and having a baby qualify anyone to be the "pregancy prevention" spokesperson ?!?! Do as I say and not as I did ?

May 5, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  20. AnnMM

Whoa! People, icky Dem here but I think what Bristol is doing is great. She screwed up and by going out "there" and saying this is not a good thing just might help. There are polls that show 1 out of 5 teenage girls wants to have a baby NOW! Maybe Bristol is the one they'll listen to and not screw up their life.

I don't like the Palin's but I give Bristol a big thumbs up on this one.

Besides... give the kid a chance, she's not her mother.

May 5, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  21. CM

Let's hope this program isn't based on "abstinence only". Clearly, that got Bristol in the predicament she's in today (and let's not forget that her older brother is the result of unprotected premarital sex too). Would it be great if kids abstained from sex? Yes. Is it realistic for the majority? No.

I hope Bristol is able to learn from her mistakes and teach other kids about the importance of safe sex all the time, not just sometimes.

May 5, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  22. ross berg- Buffalo, NY

I agree with her. If her efforts help avert one teen pregnancy it will have been well worth the try!!!

May 5, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  23. 63 year old woman

If I remember correctly, candidate Obama was crucified by the Republicans and the Religious Right for saying something like young teens could have their lives ruined because they make one mistake (getting pregnant). Wow, I guess it's okay for a Republican's daughter to call her pregnancy and birth of her son a terrible mistake? Now that's hypocrisy at its very best!

May 5, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  24. James, Phoenix AZ

Thank you for the biggest laugh I have had in months.

May 5, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  25. JSumm

This is almost as laughable as the idea of Ricky Williams joining a program to teach kids to stay away from drugs...

Honestly though, I feel bad for Bristol, I'm sure her mother is forcing this on her.

May 5, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |