May 5th, 2009

Group says Bristol Palin to promote teen pregnancy prevention

Last year, Gov. Palin revealed that her teen daughter, Bristol, was unmarried and pregnant just as the Republican National Convention was beginning.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bristol Palin, the daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, will participate in a town hall meeting on Wednesday to help raise awareness for teen pregnancy prevention, the Candie's Foundation announced Tuesday.

"I am so happy to have this opportunity to work with The Candie's Foundation on spreading the message of teen pregnancy prevention," Palin said in a statement released by the group. "I feel that I could be a living example of the consequences of teen pregnancy. If I can prevent even one girl from getting pregnant, I will feel a sense of accomplishment."

Palin, 18, gave birth to a son, Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnston, in December.

The Candie's Foundation, whose mission it is to "educate teens about the devastating consequences of teenage pregnancy," tapped her to be the teen ambassador for its National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. The group said she will participate in a town hall meeting at the Times Center in New York City Wednesday with actress Hayden Panettiere, baseball player Matt Garza, and other panelists.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Popular Posts
  1. Tania

It's called BIRTH CONTROL!

May 5, 2009 12:24 pm at 12:24 pm |
  2. Kelby In Houston, TX

I have an idea. Let's get Bristol Palin, a pregnant teen, to be our spokesperson to promote teen pregnancy prevention!!!
    Whaaaa?!? Seriously?!?! What kind of tortured logic is that?

Do you see a running theme here?

May 5, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  3. Ellie, MD

WHY is Bristol Palin the poster child? I'm confused. This is a girl who GOT PREGNANT as a teenager. A teenager who didn't CARE about taking precaution or protective measures HERSELF while being sexually active. This is NOT the ROLE MODEL I want for my daughters or any of my grandkids. Are you serious?

This is like having a DIVORCED THERAPIST giving me advise on how to save my marriage. Americans need to GET A CLUE. STOP relying on someone else to be the ROLE MODELS for you and your children.

PARENTS NEED TO STEP UP and BE THE ROLE MODEL FOR THEIR CHILDREN.

PARENTS NEED TO STOP TRYING TO BE A "FRIEND" TO THEIR KIDS AND START ACTING LIKE THE PARENT.

I would NOT let the likes of Miley Cyrus, Brittany Spears, or Bristol Palin, etc. be the ROLE MODELS to my children. THAT'S DELUSIONAL!!!

May 5, 2009 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  4. Republicans are the American Taliban

Remember when we were told they were " just kids ", and to leave them alone? Soon Bristol will be the Republican's " next rising star ". Smart as her mom when her boyfriend convinces her that he is allergic to latex.....what a role model!

May 5, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  5. Liz T, Tucson

THis young lady has been trashed enough. She is not her mother, and I hope this gig gives her a chance to speak truth to power. Hiring her as a spokesperson is a good idea, as young women and their mothers will want to come and see her, simply out of curiosity. Now let's hope her message is a realistic one. If not, I withdraw my endorsement.

May 5, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

WOW what a great choice to promote pregnancy prevention programs. So is the knocked up Bristol going to promote abstinence? Or condoms?
    Those are the only choices.... The first does not work; the latter won't be promoted in schools. I bet Girls, Inc. stays far, far away from this one.

Get a big poster of Bristol in her 9th month, working on her GED "degree" (as moron Sarah calls it), and faking a relationship with Levi. That should scare off a few girls.

May 5, 2009 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  7. shucks

She needs to be home raising her unwanted child. Although like her mother, now she will parade her newly formed dysfunctional family all over the country. What an incredible role model to teach teens about birth control. I am Bristol Palin. I had unprotected sex even though I had been taught my whole life that abstinence was the best form of birth control. But I ignored that because, I, uh, um, uh, becau, well, my, boyfrie, mothe, because I was drunk, the jerk didn't have a rubber, and well I, um, oh, I, didn't think it would happen the first time. The only people that will take her serious are those who are as gaullible as she is.

May 5, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  8. rob

Poor spokeperson

May 5, 2009 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  9. shucks

Candies Foundation has stooped as low as the soles on it's shoes for this one.

May 5, 2009 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  10. Eric in St. Paul, MN

If this involves abstinence-only or no mention of contraception, I hope it gets tons of coverage so everyone can see how entirely stupid the whole Palin clan is – it doesn't skip a generation obviously...

May 5, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  11. Idaho

Well I guess that is pure capitalism, make money off of your teen pregnancy. I guess Sarah can't scream that the media is getting into her children's lives anymore, as her child is putting hers out there. She is about as prevalent as Heidi and Spencer Pratt, and has the same nausea effect.

May 5, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  12. Marie

Here we go again Sarah using Bristol for political purposes.I can bet any sum of money that if we heard nothing of the Palins she would not have her daughter advocating teen pregnancy.Geeez what won't
    these people do for the greed of political status

May 5, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  13. Tulsa L

I think Candies is using this Palin teenager because she is at the moment in the News.......bad choice......a better choice would have been a teenager that is struggling trying to raise their child.......Palin isn't having to struggle, living at home (a comfortable home at that) parents helping support this child.........they should have picked a girl that could talk about not having health care for her child, how expensive it is to have the child and then support it........Palin isn't having to do any of this......bad choice

May 5, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  14. Yolanda

This is a joke. Teen pregnancy has been a concern for numerous. Now we have Bristol Palin speaking on behalf of the Candies Foundation to discuss the consequences. Candies Foundation – you don't need Bristol Palin – she's not a spokesperson. You're exploiting the fact that she is a teenage mom. However, she has the backing of her mother – who also exploited her.

If you really want to know the consequences of becoming a Teenage Mom – then seek out teenagers (age 14 – 16). Listen to there story. It's not always pleasant.

Bristol Palin made a choice.

May 5, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. TONY

What a joke why her and not someone who actually knows the real consequences of teenage pregnancy she has her mom and dad for support monetarily, this is just to give the Palins publicity, can't the Palins just go away.

May 5, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  16. ANGIE IN PA

But the Govenor of Alaska Doesnt Believe in Birth Control only unrealistic Absentism

May 5, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  17. jesse

i think Levi would do a better job of educating with:

"look what could happen to you if you knock up a Republican Governor's daughter who believes her family values are superior to everybody elses!"

May 5, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  18. dominican mama 4 Obama

So says Bristol Palin. Has she thought what her son might think of this statement some time in future?

I tell ya', the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You betcha! Wink, wink.

May 5, 2009 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. Mark in Atlanta

Want to help a teen prevent an unwanted pregnancy? Tell him or her the value of waiting. Then tell him or her about birth control.

May 5, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  20. jm

What a bunch of haters you people are. Maybe she would be a good spokesperson since she knows first hand the difficulties of being a teenage mother.

May 5, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  21. PatC

Wow. This girl is brave. She gets it straight from her mother. She can speak more of the struggles than almost anybody that has a name.

May 5, 2009 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  22. Noel Teku

I think Bristol will be a very effective voice at that town hall meeting. Hopefully, people will learn from her mistake, and will take caution before proceeding with sexual affairs.

May 5, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. larry buchas

How will she approach this?

"I'm living proof of failure to use birth control."

"I hung around with the wrong crowd and was too immature to recognize it."

"My Mom made me do it."

May 5, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. Sniffit

So are they going to play tapes of her saying "it was the biggest mistake of my life" for Tripp?

May 5, 2009 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  25. Kanon

Abstinence. So easy, a caveman could do it.

May 5, 2009 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |