May 5th, 2009

Group says Bristol Palin to promote teen pregnancy prevention

Last year, Gov. Palin revealed that her teen daughter, Bristol, was unmarried and pregnant just as the Republican National Convention was beginning.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bristol Palin, the daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, will participate in a town hall meeting on Wednesday to help raise awareness for teen pregnancy prevention, the Candie's Foundation announced Tuesday.

"I am so happy to have this opportunity to work with The Candie's Foundation on spreading the message of teen pregnancy prevention," Palin said in a statement released by the group. "I feel that I could be a living example of the consequences of teen pregnancy. If I can prevent even one girl from getting pregnant, I will feel a sense of accomplishment."

Palin, 18, gave birth to a son, Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnston, in December.

The Candie's Foundation, whose mission it is to "educate teens about the devastating consequences of teenage pregnancy," tapped her to be the teen ambassador for its National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. The group said she will participate in a town hall meeting at the Times Center in New York City Wednesday with actress Hayden Panettiere, baseball player Matt Garza, and other panelists.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Popular Posts
  1. RJ

In order for this prevention effort to have the potential to be effective, Palin will have to demostrate to her target audience that have this child at her young age has negative consequences on her life. Is Palin really going to stand there and say how having this baby at a young age has ruined her life? This message has already been somewhat discredited by her mother's campaigning (although this doesn't fit with their Christian values, Sarah Palin is supporting her and her decision in many ways) and thus this message of "young motherhood, bad consequences" is already mixed. To make matters worse, young girls who want to have families at a young age are going to listen to Palin, then go home and watch her on TV and see how glorious her life is–she gets media attention, she has the loving boyfriend, the supportive family...what message does THIS send her targeted audience? It is my opinion that Palin will not keep even one female from getting pregnant, thus crushing her dreams of this being worthwhile.

May 5, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. KEL

Wil this family please go away this just one way she the mother using her family to keep her name anface out in the media that she hates.

May 5, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. republican gimmick back fires

republicans will do anything and say anything to get in front of a camera. you have mitt, mcsame, hannity, rove and the fat guy on the radio, you know the gop leaders saying what they will do but never ever do. When it comes down to it once they get the keys to white house its all about religion and pissing off countries all over the world and bombing countries that complain and don't fall in line. That's the only change you can expect from the gop.
    Oh ya, they need some minorities to through under the bus just in case things go bad, i.e. Steele.

May 5, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. S.M

This is a good thing but how much is she getting paid and will her mother try to persuade Bristol not to participate?

May 5, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. Evelyn DiCarmel

Unfortunately for you, Bristol, your son will hear about his illegitimacy long before you get around to telling him. He will always be a laughing-stock. This will always hang over your head and will be like a dagger in your heart. Unlike today's lowered morality (if any!), since you were so public with your pregnancy you will always be thought of as stupid to have done what you did. Young girls should not engage in adult activities until they are ready to accept the responsibilities that come too and things so often do not go the way we hope, as you have already learned. This from a gramma who has seen our country's morals go from decency to anything-goes, but there is always a high price to pay.

May 5, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  6. Moderate Democrat

Sarah Palin should promote "Kidnap Prevention". I mean if you are going to have a teen that was pregnant try to prevent it, you may as well go all the way with the hypocracy of this twisted family and have a kidnapper, that does not allow a baby to see it's REAL father unless the dictator (Palin) is present, promote kidnap prevention.

This family is just SICK. So much for family values. I would NOT want to model my family after this sick twisted womans failed troop of lunatics!

May 5, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. Joe (Los Angeles)

What kind of message is that sending to your own child? Hey son, thanks for ruining my life?

May 5, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. Laura

Just as long as she's in favor of preventing it including the use of birth control, NOT abstinance only. I would think, or at least hope, that she's fully learned her lesson.

May 5, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  9. Elaine Goodrich

Ah, the old "do as I say, not as I do" angle~ Good one! Rarely works.

May 5, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  10. Tina,NC

I am so sick of this Hillbilly freak show.

I still can't believe there are people who support Palin.

May 5, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  11. Had It

I think most teens age 14 and over, could probably teach Sara about sex.

May 5, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. Rob

Wait... what? How is Bristol Palin a sensible spokesperson for abstinence-only sex ed? Does it really make sense to have the program's most public failure be the role model for future generations?

May 5, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Tom Mulroney

That is rich. Has this family no shame?

May 5, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. Do I need a magnifying glass yet to find the Rushpublican Party tent on the ever-expanding real world campground?

Next thing we know, Sarah Palin will be teaching a workshop on ethics and family dynamics.

May 5, 2009 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  15. Amber

At least I finsh high school when I was pregnant. She doesn't even have a GED and why would anyone let there daughters listen to her. And she knew what she was getting into. She should fix her problems before fixing other girls problems. Like GED, job, your own place and stop living off of your parents.

May 5, 2009 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. John, from SC

Too Late.

May 5, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Joe McAvoy

You mean the baby wasn't planned? Shocked!!!

May 5, 2009 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. Peace

My dear Bristol, shouting to the lion without holding a gun in hands, is extremely dangerous and the survival is only 0.00009% or none at all.

Telling teenagers to take care of themselves without showing them what to use in prevention, I am afraid it won't help!

May 5, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  19. Laverne

President Obama said during this campaign that conservatives and liberals alike could at least find common ground by helping to prevent teen pregnancy and he was laughed at. I am sorry, but it is hard to listen to the other side when all they do is criticized until they decide to join the real world. I hope Bristol well, but her mom sucks!

May 5, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. Vern

I quess Sarah is not through using her kids.

May 5, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. Ken from missouri

This is so funny this girl is talking about not having sex c'mon give me a break the palin family needs to stay in alaska stop telling people how to live their lives because looking at their history they need to work on themselves.

May 5, 2009 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  22. terry maineiac

will this be another example of the "media" exploiting the family ?

May 5, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  23. Michael

Well, Bristol Pain is already on the record stating that abstinence doesn't work and it's not a realistic option for teens. So, what is she going to talk about. Will she actually defy the religious right who pays her families bills and just got them out of legal hawk and talk about the benefits of using condoms?
    Let's hope so.

May 5, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  24. shucks

How about some parental birth control. Honey if you don't use a condom, or some kind of protection, or your friend with benefits doesn't. use something, I will break both his legs for even touching my daughter, and then I will see too it that you don't go out of the house for six months. That logic seemed to work for my 4 sisters all of whom waited until they were married. My mother made sure they knew how to get and use all of the options available. My neighbors parents didn't, and their daughters were spitting out babies like PEZ dispensers. Go figure..

May 5, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  25. jim carroll internetfreepress.com

Miss Palin should have taken the Morning after Pill.

May 5, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |