May 5th, 2009

Group says Bristol Palin to promote teen pregnancy prevention

Last year, Gov. Palin revealed that her teen daughter, Bristol, was unmarried and pregnant just as the Republican National Convention was beginning.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Bristol Palin, the daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, will participate in a town hall meeting on Wednesday to help raise awareness for teen pregnancy prevention, the Candie's Foundation announced Tuesday.

"I am so happy to have this opportunity to work with The Candie's Foundation on spreading the message of teen pregnancy prevention," Palin said in a statement released by the group. "I feel that I could be a living example of the consequences of teen pregnancy. If I can prevent even one girl from getting pregnant, I will feel a sense of accomplishment."

Palin, 18, gave birth to a son, Tripp Easton Mitchell Johnston, in December.

The Candie's Foundation, whose mission it is to "educate teens about the devastating consequences of teenage pregnancy," tapped her to be the teen ambassador for its National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. The group said she will participate in a town hall meeting at the Times Center in New York City Wednesday with actress Hayden Panettiere, baseball player Matt Garza, and other panelists.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Popular Posts
  1. Erin

Let's see if Bristol will do this her way – by saying that the best way to prevent pregnancy is abstenance, but use contraception if you aren't going to abstain.

Or, is she going to do this the way that her mom and the GOP want her to do it.. by saying "ONLY ABSTAIN".. and continue the charade that got her and many others pregnant.

May 5, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  2. Joe the Troll

In other words, she has a high-profile job advocating against the only thing that qualifies her for a high-profile job.

May 5, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. Mike in LR

I'm really surprised so many are critical of such a good thing. There should be no surprise to anyone that a Christian has problems. We are all sinners by birth. The difference is what you choose to do about it. Criticizing someone's beliefs is lower than low....unless you're a leftist. It's okay then to destroy people like Ms. Palin, Miss California, etc. But let's let code pink and all the other violent leftist organizations be catered to. Just shameful.

May 5, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Debby

She should also educate teens about dead beat fathers that don't work or pay child support like Levi Johnston.

May 5, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  5. Gerry

I have a friend that had 6 beautiful daughters all within about 18 month of each other. I remember asking him, "what will you do when these girls are reach puberty-how will you deal with that."

His response was, "Well my wife and I have already decided, it really isn't a big issue." "We'll just put birth control pills in their Wheaties each morning and make sure they all eat their breakfast. "

It worked for him, maybe Sara should have done the same thing.

May 5, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  6. Ekbaaaaaaal from AZ

Its all about the freaking chuth chuth and chuth!!!

Palin – you THRIVE and AMerican will Thrive!!

May 5, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. ginger

"devastating consequences"?

May 5, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  8. Jim

As mentioned by some other commenters, teen pregnancy doesn't necessarily have "devistating" consequences. I hardly think that Bristol is in a situation that would cause her teen pregnancy to have "devistating" consequences on her. If you have a strong social circle for support and can get help financially you can still get a good education and be able to make a good life.

That being said, she can speak out about how teen pregnancy can have adverse effects which in certain circumstances could be devistating to the individual. But she could not speak of the devistating consequences first hand.

Someone that gets a DUI but doesn't hurt anyone can talk about the adverse effects it had but cannot comment first hand on how killing a pedestrian while driving drunk has devastating consequences.

May 5, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. Chris in MI

I think she means the 'consequences of having unprotected sex' not 'consequences of pregnancy.' Unless her new baby is considered a 'consequence.' Kind of sounds like her mother. She needs to stay out of the press, get an education....and get a job.

May 5, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  10. Film Professor

What? Are you kidding me?

So is Lindsay Lohan also going to do outreach on drugs and alcohol? Michael Jackson going to give a seminar on how to avoid dangerous child predators? Republican Senator Larry Craig going to teach a seminar on how to avoid having your foot tapping signals in the restroom misinterpreted? John Edwards a seminar on family values and inexpensive haircuts?

May 5, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  11. Bernardo

Keep the Palin circus in the news, CNN, it makes the Republicans in general seem more and more clownish and will help us to continue to defeat the Republicans in elections for years to come as any former Republicans with an ounce of intellect will continue to leave the party.

May 5, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. pam Eugene OR

It is really funny that the NEW Republican party wants the Palin family to be front and center in it's NEW message. Just exactly what is that message? Is it abstaining from sex or not having an abortion? There of course, will be no discussion about education for our teens.
    I agree with Rush for the first and most likely last time that the Palins are an embarrassment to the Republican party.
    The Palins need to stay in Alaska and raise all of their children.

May 5, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  13. Patricia

she can't give away what she doesnt have.

May 5, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  14. Shelly

I think it is a good thing Bristol is doing, she knows first hand the consequences of unprotected marital sex, who better to help other young girls. I applaud her guts.

May 5, 2009 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. Lynne - Seattle

Good for her...trying to help others avoid the mistakes she has made....I just don't see what this has to do with the political ticker here on CNN!

If you think it's news worthy, post it under general news...not political news...she is not a politician and this has nothing to do with her mother.

May 5, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. KMAN

How does one teach something they don't know. She obviously doesn't have any expertise in avoiding teen pregnancy, so how is she going to teach others to be successful? Perhaps a spokesperson whose life was devastated by an unwanted pregnancy might provide a more realistic example than the daughter of a very well-to-do family who can easily provide for their teen daughter and the fatherless baby involved.

May 5, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  17. VAisforLovers

Is this a joke? Am I the only one that sees the blatant hypocrisy/contradiction?

May 5, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  18. Shirley In California

Since I don't care anything about this racists dysfunctional family, I am going to sit back and enjoy the other comments and wait for a REAL news story.

May 5, 2009 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  19. rhoward

The article is about Bristol Palin – not Sarah Palin so I think that it's unfair for so many on here to be so nasty about Bristol just because they don't like her mother. If Ms. Palin can persuade one teenage girl to take precautions to prevent an unwanted pregnancy then she will have been successful.

May 5, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. B. Churchill

There happen to be plenty of ways to prevent teen pregnancy that actually work – these just don't happen to be the ones Mom or Grandma approve of or employ – with predictable, tragic results. Will they and their ilk EVER learn? The house advantage backs a NO bet...

May 5, 2009 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  21. Brenda

I give her credit for participating....especially with all the negativity that people feel compelled to throw at an 18 yr old.

May 5, 2009 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  22. The Other Michael in Houston

Although I can't stand Bristol's crazy mother, I must commned Bristol on educating young girls on the impact of teen pregnancy. Bravo Bristol.

May 5, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  23. Theresa

I am disappointed by 'adults' who resort to hurtful, high-schoolish comments that are better served up with a bowl of milk. She may well be Mommy Dearest's pawn, but I applaud her courage in speaking candidly about her experience though I think hers is buffered by privelege.

Nonetheless, The Candies Foundation, out to consider a more powerful spokesperson: one who does not have the financial and social wherewithal enjoyed by Ms. Palin. A teenage mother who lives in a culture of poverty has a far more compelling story to share.

May 5, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  24. VICKY

Is there no end to how annoying this family of clueless moralizing jerks can be? The whole family should put a sock in it.

May 5, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  25. athomasr

Never put yourself on a pedestal unless you walk the walk. I am a liberal who most right wingers consider immoral, yet my daughter is 23 still in college without a child. I have committed no crimes regardless of what the right wing thinks. This is the very thing people are sick of when it comes to the GOP. They think we are holier than thou and everyone that thinks different or is different is a blasphemous sinner.

May 5, 2009 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |